Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

Re: Brad Johnson: pure efficiency !!

"StillPurple" wrote:
    Seems to me we run two plays on our offense:

a. the long ball

b. handing off

What i mean by checking down is just throwing the ball to a RB or TE when everyone else is covered. Does anyone think that this is not an issue on our team ?
    no it isnt at all and you must not watch any games

erik5032 is offline Star Spokesman

Ok so i just watched the highlights and Romo wasn't that bad at all... he was 6/9 for 33 yards ... not great, but then again he is just getting some reps in. Brad Johnson was 9/12 114 yds and a TD. That pass that you call perfect was lobbed up there and he should be happy it wasn't intercepted. If anyone played poorly it was R. Bartel 7//14 107 yds and 1 INT.

When you said Romo was horrible i didn't expect only 3 missed throws... Johnson obviously got a lot more reps and time, he also was playing against the second string. Come On StillPurple how are you watching games? with a bong?

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

Come on, Brad was looking for a starting spot which we couldn't give him... he left.
    Have you seen the 2006 season? That offense was the most horrible i've ever seen, if it wasn't for CT we would've had the 1st overall pick that season... And now because he looked good in a pre-season game we were foolish to let him go? We have Frerotte and i think Frerotte and BJ are kinda like the same Qb's in some ways, we don't need BJ
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"StillPurple" wrote:
    I just watched the first half of the Dallas at Denver pre-season game down here in Dallas. All I can say is, Romo looked horrible. He overthrew passes and was extremely inaccurate.

On the other hand, Brad Johnson was sheer efficiency. He made great reads and throws. His passes were exactly when and where they had to be. His underneath passes were superb.

Hello, Vikings management: and why did we let this guy go, again ?

When I compare these tight passes, great reads, and perfect timing with what we had last year at QB, I really
    have to ask this question. Brad looked like Joe Montana tonight. His ability to read the defense and then check down to the open, underneath receiver is something our offense sorely needs !

If you doubt me, go back and watch the TD pass Brad threw to Miles Austin late in the 2nd quarter. It was PERFECT.
    Probably because he couldn't accomplish those same things when he faced a first string defense.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

Although I'm not saying BJ should still be our starting QB, I don't understand some of the the animosity directed towards him. When he took over after Culpepper's injury he steadied the (sinking) ship enough to almost make the play-offs despite having weak receivers, a line that couldn't stop the pass rush and a rookie HC calling questionable plays. At the end of that season the majority of fans were happy to have him remain starter while T-Jack learned from the side lines. Fair enough it didn't work out for him but I don't think it was all his fault, we still had the problems in areas already listed. So I thank him for what he has done for the Vikes, and although I think his career as a starter is finished, I feel he still has a part to play in the NFL.

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

"StillPurple" wrote:
    I just watched the first half of the Dallas at Denver pre-season game down here in Dallas. All I can say is, Romo looked horrible. He overthrew passes and was extremely inaccurate.

On the other hand, Brad Johnson was sheer efficiency. He made great reads and throws. His passes were exactly when and where they had to be. His underneath passes were superb.

Hello, Vikings management: and why did we let this guy go, again ?

When I compare these tight passes, great reads, and perfect timing with what we had last year at QB, I really
    have to ask this question. Brad looked like Joe Montana tonight. His ability to read the defense and then check down to the open, underneath receiver is something our offense sorely needs !

If you doubt me, go back and watch the TD pass Brad threw to Miles Austin late in the 2nd quarter. It was PERFECT.
    The Vikes should have kept Brad in 1999, but I think in 2006 they made the right choice.
    Johnson is the epitome of a QB that manages a game.

Romo looking horrible is better than free pizza and beer, a 60" HD TV with NFL Sunday Ticket, and a over stuffed Lazy-boy.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"StillPurple" wrote:
    Well, I will admit that I haven't seen Tarvaris yet in 2008.

But we just admitted here that pre-season doesn't mean shit right ?
    :

Last year, I saw T-Jacks panic a lot and throw the ball into double coverage.
    I don't think I've seen that once this year in pre-season.

scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

If I was you PurplePowerPunch I would delete your last post.
    :

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"scottishvike" wrote:
    Although I'm not saying BJ should still be our starting QB, I don't understand some of the the animosity directed towards him. When he took over after Culpepper's injury he steadied the (sinking) ship enough to almost make the play-offs despite having weak receivers, a line that couldn't stop the pass rush and a rookie HC calling questionable plays. At the end of that season the majority of fans were happy to have him remain starter while T-Jack learned from the side lines. Fair enough it didn't work out for him but I don't think it was all his fault, we still had the problems in areas already listed. So I thank him for what he has done for the Vikes, and although I think his career as a starter is finished, I feel he still has a part to play in the NFL.
    1. The line started playing better in the second half of that season.

2. Look at the teams Johnson faced during that time period.
    a. Detroit (5-11) twice
    b. The defense won the Giants game
    c. Packers (4-12)
    d. Browns (6-10)
    e. Rams (6-10)
    f. Bears - We beat their scrubs. They rested a majority of their starters.

3. It was Tice's 4th year as HC. Hardly a rookie.

4. T-Jack hadn't even been drafted yet.

You seem to be intertwixting years judging by some of your comments.

We went 8-8 in 2005. 6-10 in 2006.
    Culpepper was hurt in 2005, Jackson was drafted in 2006.
    The line wasn't that great in both those years.
    Tice was coach in 2005, Childress 2006.

At the end of 2005, many still wanted Johnson as a QB. I saw that he beat some poor quality teams & wanted Garcia brought in. Johnson was exposed in 2006.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

"scottishvike" wrote:
    If I was you PurplePowerPunch I would delete your last post.
    :
    I concur.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast