Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Brad Johnson a Cowboy

I've always been a fan of Brads, but I think he should have retired this year.
    Would have been a nice ending.
    Retire from where he got started.

I don't like seeing players trying to continue to play the game, when it's obvious they are on the downslid.......

I've always felt, one should retire on a high note.....Some others who played beyond their time are,
    Rice, E.Smith., Page, and most recently
    Farve...just a few off the top of my head..

I don't get the part about being a backup either. He could have easily stayed here to mentor TJ........

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Good for him at least landing a job, realisticly he wasnt going to start this year unless a team is desperate, most teams would much rather bring in a young guy to try and build their team off of them an old guy like brad to just give them something for a year or two

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"NordicNed" wrote:

I don't like seeing players trying to continue to play the game, when it's obvious they are on the downslid.......

I've always felt, one should retire on a high note.....Some others who played beyond their time are,

I don't get the part about being a backup either. He could have easily stayed here to mentor TJ........

I agree with you Ned.. Brad Johnson has always been a class act, and while it would have been nice to see him mentor Jackson, it just wasn't in the cards to do so.. Nice to see him land on his feet and get with a team so quickly..

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

"NordicNed" wrote:

i dont know why so many ppl hate this..why retire when u can still contribute in a lesser role? if you love the game that much, and wanna stay around it, then i have no problem with a player taking a lesser role to continue his career..when jerry rice got older he was no longer a great 1st option, but he was however a tremendous 2nd or 3rd, and was out there because he genuinly loved the game..the guys that retire when theyve still got years left (not including injuries) are the ones that cant stand to see their stats or star image deteriorate
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"olson_10" wrote:
    "NordicNed" wrote:

i dont know why so many ppl hate this..why retire when u can still contribute in a lesser role? if you love the game that much, and wanna stay around it, then i have no problem with a player taking a lesser role to continue his career..when jerry rice got older he was no longer a great 1st option, but he was however a tremendous 2nd or 3rd, and was out there because he genuinly loved the game..the guys that retire when theyve still got years left (not including injuries) are the ones that cant stand to see their stats or star image deteriorate

I didn't say I hate it Olson, I said I didn't like to see it, but then again I should have expanded what I mean to that fact.... I do agree with you, when you say someone could still play for the love of the game, but taking on a different roll, such as being a mentor to a younger player....But in Brads case, he has said time and time again, he only wants to start, thats why I'm confused now, his starting days are numbered, if not over already....This was easy to see last year, he just can't move to protect himself anymore, and thats not good for the team as a whole also....

If he came out and said something like, My starting days are over, but I'de love to play as a backup and contribute to the team my experience , and only come in if need be, due to injuries or other situation, I could accept that.

Rice, played way beyond his time, and was not much of a threat or factor his past couple of seasons...But yes, he is the greatest reciever to play the game I feel.

E.Smith,
    he played just to chase the record I believe, and nothing said will change my mind on that statement.
    If he was a player just coming out of college, and played the way he did for the last couple of years of his career, he would have never played the game period. He should be thankfull the Cardinals gave him the chance to chase that record....Let me ask this, how come he didn't set the record as a cowboy?.....Because they realized he wasn't a team asset anymore.....

Thats just the way I feel about the topic in some ways.....

On the flip side,
    some players retire way before their time....Two i can think of are, Robert Smith and Barry Sanders.......Two players that still had a tank full of gas......

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    "NordicNed" wrote:

I agree with you Ned.. Brad Johnson has always been a class act, and while it would have been nice to see him mentor Jackson, it just wasn't in the cards to do so.. Nice to see him land on his feet and get with a team so quickly..
    Too bad it was the Cowturds though!
    >

He pulled a Wade Wilson.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

I hope we get to play him when we visit Dallas next year. Turn some of his int's towards our favor.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

Mikecarter81 is offline Coordinator

Best of luck to Brad.
    I hope he does well in weverygame, except the one he plays against the vikings.
    Even after last years debacle, I still like the guy.

Mike
    I am an avid Viking fan, but also am an avid restoration guy of vintage Mopar(Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth)B bodies

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

brad will be on the pine for the next 3 years of his contract which should make him 81 when he retires.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

Oh gawd not the cowboys.

I hate the cowboys.
    :-

WWBGD

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast