Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Bolts keep receiver V-Jax via franchise tag

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1089755
    How so? Rice is a good player, and Rosenhaus will try and convince him he's worth top dollar in the NFL. based on the one season, the catches he's made, what he's done, he's worth the money. Based on his career, it's not even close. If he's done his first contract now, he's going to want to get a big contract as the next one, as we've seen what happens when receivers try and demand more money later on. They don't get it.
    Not sure how to respond to that. Anyways, it doesn't matter. The discussion is whether or not you agree with me that his agent advised him to protect himself this year, starting by missing time for an injury that could have been done in the offseason or not.

I say he did , you say he didn't. The amount he deserves or will get is a secondary discussion.

Two things. first, you state that like it's a fact, when every shred of evidence except for your opinion states otherwise.
    Secondly, it doesn't make sense. Why would they try and go into a year where he has to negotiate a new contract with very mediocre stats?
    I get Z upset with me sometimes with respect to your first point. Everything on this site is and opinion based on what each of us know or don't know. None of us have facts. Just because I articulated it in a manner that looks like a fact never, ever ever ever will make it a fact.

What I know, agents do it all the time (advise their players to protect themselves). Revis just did it. Guess what, I bet Owen Daniels wishes he would have done it.

36 rec, 532 yards, 4.5 td per season. those are NOT the kind of numbers that will get you the big bucks.
    No they don't, but we are seeing stuff coming out were they are talking atleast Berrian money if they can get a deal done. If they can't they are looking at tagging him for money alot higher than that.

Then tag him, I've already said they should.
    But there in lies the rub, and gets back to my very first question to you, have you read the concerns the Vikes are having about tagging him? See the Spielman thread.

Although it didn't come out of his mouth, two authors said they felt the Vikes were worried that if they tagged him, he would hold out which is almost exactly what he did (in essence) this year.

WHEW, all that just to get back to the original disucssion point. Wow, talk about me wandering around a bit. :P
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1089761
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1089755
    How so? Rice is a good player, and Rosenhaus will try and convince him he's worth top dollar in the NFL. based on the one season, the catches he's made, what he's done, he's worth the money. Based on his career, it's not even close. If he's done his first contract now, he's going to want to get a big contract as the next one, as we've seen what happens when receivers try and demand more money later on. They don't get it.
    Not sure how to respond to that. Anyways, it doesn't matter. The discussion is whether or not you agree with me that his agent advised him to protect himself this year, starting by missing time for an injury that could have been done in the offseason or not.
    how does it not matter? That's exactly the point.

Your question: Did Rosenhaus tell Rice to sit out so he can get a good contract.

My answer. No, because.... (stuff you deem invalid and not related to your question)
    I say he did , you say he didn't. The amount he deserves or will get is a secondary discussion.
    It exactly ties into the whole conversation.

rosenhaus is one of the greediest agents in the sport. No way in hell he's going to tell his client to sit a season so he can get a percentage of only an ok contract. he'd want Rice to have a hell of a season, tell the Vikings to fuck themselves and reel in the big bucks. That's how Agents make money.
    Two things. first, you state that like it's a fact, when every shred of evidence except for your opinion states otherwise.
    Secondly, it doesn't make sense. Why would they try and go into a year where he has to negotiate a new contract with very mediocre stats?
    I get Z upset with me sometimes with respect to your first point. Everything on this site is and opinion based on what each of us know or don't know. None of us have facts. Just because I articulated it in a manner that looks like a fact never, ever ever ever will make it a fact.
    You keep believing that, then wondering why when you make outlandish claims with absolutely no evidence to back it up, you get jumped on.

Wilf caused 9/11. He just did. See I can do it too.
    [quote]

What I know, agents do it all the time (advise their players to protect themselves). Revis just did it. Guess what, I bet Owen Daniels wishes he would have done it.[/qoute]
    You know what? Revis is already regarded as one of, if not THE best corner in football. He's getting a massive contract whether he plays or not. Rice on the other hand, has a LOT of proving to do.
    36 rec, 532 yards, 4.5 td per season. those are NOT the kind of numbers that will get you the big bucks.
    No they don't, but we are seeing stuff coming out were they are talking atleast Berrian money if they can get a deal done. If they can't they are looking at tagging him for money alot higher than that.
    That means nothing. More often than not, teams tag a guy to buy time to agree on a long-term contract. I would hope that's the plan with Rice. . Paying him top 5 money for one year than letting him go, in a rebuilding year no less doesn't make sense.

Although it didn't come out of his mouth, two authors said they felt the Vikes were worried that if they tagged him, he would hold out which is almost exactly what he did (in essence) this year.
    Ah, so two "yutz fans" (let me guess, one of them was Florio) with access to the internet happen to share your point of view. Meanwhile, prior players, and coaches will tell you that's not the case.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1089766
    how does it not matter? That's exactly the point.

Your question: Did Rosenhaus tell Rice to sit out so he can get a good contract.

My answer. No, because.... (stuff you deem invalid and not related to your question)
    I didn't deem it invalid. I said I wasn't sure how to reply to it. Thats my nice way of saying you are wandering and 3 or 4 points all mixed into one that doesn't make sense to me.

It exactly ties into the whole conversation.
    See my comment above.

rosenhaus is one of the greediest agents in the sport. No way in hell he's going to tell his client to sit a season so he can get a percentage of only an ok contract. he'd want Rice to have a hell of a season, tell the Vikings to fuck themselves and reel in the big bucks. That's how Agents make money.
    Wait a minute. Are you saying that his agent would be happy to get his commission out of a tagged year, and risk having his player risk getting a career ending injury and never seeing any other money come from that player?

Nope, Rose is smarter than that. He knows that what he would have made off that one "Tendered" offer would be made up in spades from the deal he knows he will get for him the next year, IF, he is still able to play.

Again, the numbers they are talking are proof of that.

You keep believing that, then wondering why when you make outlandish claims with absolutely no evidence to back it up, you get jumped on.
    Why do I have to have evidence to have a discussion? When you sit down at the diner table with the wife and kids do you bring facts to the table so that when they ask you, "how was your day" you have proof.

Again, thats the kindof stuff that gets me in trouble with Z. Its a discussion site, not a debate site and by the way, most of my stuff isn't that far out there. Just because some of it hasn't been heard of by you doesn't mean it is.

Wilf caused 9/11. He just did. See I can do it too.

You know what? Revis is already regarded as one of, if not THE best corner in football. He's getting a massive contract whether he plays or not. Rice on the other hand, has a LOT of proving to do.
    Again, I agree, but that still doesn't get away from the point that his agent didn't advise him not to put himself at risk this year, again, for the same reason Revis held out and the same reason Owen Daniels wishes he would have.

That means nothing. More often than not, teams tag a guy to buy time to agree on a long-term contract. I would hope that's the plan with Rice. . Paying him top 5 money for one year than letting him go, in a rebuilding year no less doesn't make sense.
    I didn't say it made sense, and thats not the only reason they tag a guy. If it was, V-jax wouldn't be tagged this year. They've had more than enough time to get a deal done with him.

Another reason is that you have concerns over him completing the life of the contract and don't want to have to pay him guaranteed money when he isn't playing for you.

Key note, that is why the owners tendered offers to the players this year. So that, if the games don't go on, they don't have to pay them.

Ah, so two "yutz fans" (let me guess, one of them was Florio) with access to the internet happen to share your point of view. Meanwhile, prior players, and coaches will tell you that's not the case.
    OK Mr. Proof man, what prior players and coaches?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12