Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jordan is offline Pro-Bowler

Billick to coach Ravens in 2006 it's official!!

Scratch Brian Billick from the NFL's endangered species list.

In an announcement that confirmed rumors of the past two weeks, Baltimore Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti informed players at a team meeting Wednesday morning that Billick will return as head coach in 2006. There have been strong indications from both players and assistants that Billick would be back for an eighth season.

One player contacted Monday by ESPN.com who also had been interviewed by Ravens management about Billick's ability to lead the team back to the playoffs said then that the coach "already [seemed] to know something about his future." Other sources within the team said Billick had been apprised as long as two weeks ago that he and his staff would likely return. Billick, 51, has a 67-51 record, including playoff games, since taking over the Ravens in 1999. He has a year left on his contract.

"We have an ongoing and extensive process to find ways to win," Bisciotti said in a statement. "This included a thorough evaluation of Brian Billick. Collectively, we concluded that continuing with Brian as head coach gives us the best opportunity to win."

Part of that process was in-depth interviews with veteran players and some assistant coaches as Bisciotti, team president Dick Cass and general manager Ozzie Newsome sought direction for the future. Billick is under contract through the 2007 season. Another element was an analysis of the field of potential replacement head coaches.

In only his second season as an NFL head coach, Billick led the Ravens to the Super Bowl XXXV championship. After the 2001 season, however, the Ravens were forced to dismantle that team because of salary cap excesses. The Ravens have appeared in the playoffs twice since then but have not advanced beyond the divisional round.

Baltimore has won three of its last four games to get to 6-9 for the year and concludes the 2005 season Sunday at Cleveland.
    Before coming to the Ravens, Billick was tight ends coach and offensive coordinator in Minnesota from 1992-98.
    He is tied for fourth in NFL seniority with Philadelphia's Andy Reid among coaches with their current teams, trailing only Pittsburgh's Bill Cowher, Tennessee's Jeff Fisher and Denver's Mike Shanahan

"SSSMMMOOTTT" & "Toine" will be the best CB combo in the NFL next year TRUST ME!!!

DemonicViking is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Billick to coach Ravens in 2006 it's official!!

I'm thrilled, I guess.

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

Good, I didn't want him anyway unless he was going to bring Ray Lewis over with him. I like big bad Tice.

Jordan is offline Pro-Bowler

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2273063

There goes our hopes of bringing Coach Billick back 2 Minny as our Head Coach or Offensive Coordinator.

"SSSMMMOOTTT" & "Toine" will be the best CB combo in the NFL next year TRUST ME!!!

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

one less guy for us to go out and try to get
    We're bringing purple back.

Big C is offline Coordinator

We need an Offensive Coordinator more than a head coach. I doubt Billick would have come back to Minny as a OC.

I am convinced that we need a new DC too but not sure if that will disrupt the defensive chemistry we have going. From what I gather, the defense found it's identity and started playing to it's players strengths (and we started winning) only once Tice got involved.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Yah I would only want him as an OC too.. Oh well I guess.. Wasn't gonna happen again

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

Im happy for him. I didnt really want him as our head coach. I think what we need is some better coordinators. If Tice could get us this good a record with the retarded guy from anchor man coaching our offense i think we could do a lot better if we had a good o coach.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Yah definitley need better coordinators.. I could live with Cottrell staying just because we have a decent D right now.. But Loney HAS to go!! Not OC material

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

i think cottrell could do better. The D will continue to get better and we will see what we bring in on D this offseason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast