PurplePride80 is offline Star Spokesman

Big Ben suffered concussion vs. Falcons

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger suffered a concussion in the Pittsburgh Steelers' loss Sunday to the Atlanta Falcons, sources familiar with the situation told ESPN's Merril Hoge.

X-rays and MRIs of Roethlisberger were negative and he has no fractures, but Roethlisberger's status for next Sunday's game at Oakland is uncertain.

Against the Falcons, Roethlisberger was injured after taking a blow to the head in the third quarter. Roethlisberger appeared to receive a helmet-to-helmet hit in the face mask from defensive end Chauncey Davis immediately after releasing a pass in the third quarter. Defensive end Patrick Kerney and linebacker Ed Hartwell also hit Roethlisberger on the play.

Roethlisberger remained on the turf for at least five minutes before finally wobbling to the sideline, then got wheeled to the locker room on the back of a cart. He did not return to the game and watched the end of the Falcons' 41-38 win in overtime from the sideline.

Roethlisberger was not made available to reporters after the game. He was moving slowly and was in obvious discomfort as he put on his shirt and jacket at his locker.

It was another blow to the Steelers quarterback, whose season has already been marred by a serious motorcycle accident and an emergency appendectomy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2636033
    In the P.J.'s, my blend tape plays, bullets are strays
    Young bitches is grazed
    Each block, is like a maze, full of black rats trapped
    Plus the Island is packed
    From what I hear in all the stories when my peoples come back, black

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Big Ben suffered concussion vs. Falcons

Ben Roethlisberger Gets Brain Cancer from X-Rays of His Head

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger suffered yet another setback today when it was found that the X-rays taken of his head on Sunday after receiving a concussion caused large cancerous tumors to form on his brain. Roethlisberger is listed as questionable for Pittsburgh’s game against the Raiders this week.

“Ben’s had some bad luck the past few months,” said head coach Bill Cowher. “The motorcycle accident, the appendectomy, a concussion and now this. He just can’t seem to catch a break and he’s growing more and more fragile all the time. The doctors say they’ve never seen anyone get cancer from one x-ray before, the dosage of radiation is so low in a single x-ray, but then they’d never met Ben Roethlisberger. He could probably get injured just sitting on his couch. And, now that I think about it, he has. I remember he said his appendicitis flared up when he was sitting on his couch.”

The Steelers star will immediately begin chemotherapy to treat his tumors and while the number and size of the growths suggest he has a very slim chance of survival, team doctors are confident Roethlisberger can beat the cancer and be back on the field in a matter of days.

“While Ben gets injured more than an AIDS-ridden stuntman with osteoporosis, he also heals remarkably well,” said Steelers team physician Dr. Mark Ridge. “There were worries after his motorcycle accident that he might die, yet he walked out of the hospital a few days later. Same with his appendectomy. He was playing less than two weeks after abdominal surgery. So I’m sure it will be the same with his brain cancer. I wouldn’t be surprised if his white blood cells have already turned back the growing cancer cells strictly through the sheer power of Ben Roethlisberger’s determination and toughness. Well, his determination. Toughness maybe not so much.”

If Roethlisberger’s remarkable recovery skills and the chemotherapy don’t immediately stunt the growth of the tumors, the Steelers say they will consider giving their quarterback a partially lobotomy to save his life and his career.

“Let’s not kid ourselves here. Having Ben Roethlisberger at 10-percent mental capacity is better than anyone else we’ve had under center in Pittsburgh in 25 years,” said Cowher. “Heck, Terry Bradshaw never had a lobotomy but he was for all intents retarded even with a full brain and he still won Pittsburgh four Super Bowls. So if we have to cut out big chunks of Ben’s brain to keep him on the field, we will do that. We’ll just have to scale back the playbook and the game plan each week like we did for him when he was a rookie in 2004. I wouldn’t say we necessarily play a very cerebral brand of football here in Pittsburgh anyway.”

Roethlisberger says he hopes to be back on the field soon and thanks Pittsburgh fans for their continued support.

“I would love to thank each and every one of you in person for all the prayers and support you have given me over the past five months,” said Roethlisberger. “But if I met all of you in person I would probably get the flu or pneumonia or something because my body is not all that strong and I don’t seem to have much luck right now.”
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

the only reason that affects me, is that my brother (a packers fan) has to start his backup qb, brad johnson, on his fantasy team..

i could care less how ben worthlessburger us doing
    i m better than you, so just give up...

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

[size=13pt]Roethlisberger says Falcons player taunted him about head injury[/size]

PITTSBURGH (AP) Ben Roethlisberger won't have any trouble remembering the hit that gave the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback his latest concussion.

``It felt like it busted my whole jaw,' he said Wednesday.

He also won't forget the crude comment made by one of the three Atlanta Falcons players who, while sacking him Sunday, apparently taunted Roethlisberger by saying he wanted to hit him in his surgically repaired face.

Roethlisberger took part in limited work during practice Wednesday and is listed as questionable for Sunday's game in Oakland, despite receiving his second concussion in about four months. He has not been cleared by doctors to play but, if he is, plans to ``beg and plead' with coach Bill Cowher to do so.

``If you ask me, I'm always leaning toward playing, no matter what it is,' he said Wednesday. ``But it's something we have to be smart about.'

Roethlisberger, who led the Steelers to a Super Bowl win last season, was injured during a helmet-to-helmet hit by defensive end Chauncey Davis immediately after releasing a pass during the third quarter. Roethlisberger also was sandwiched by defensive lineman Patrick Kerney and linebacker Ed Hartwell.

``They got me from every angle,' he said.

Roethlisberger lay motionless for several minutes, and at least one teammate said he was unconscious on the turf. He was visibly dazed while being taken to the locker room, but felt better within a few minutes and later returned to the sideline.

``The last thing I remember is throwing to Hines (Ward) and I tried to duck out of it, and as I tried to duck out of it I remember getting hit in the chin - it felt like I busted my whole jaw or something,' he said. ``One of their players said something to me and that's the last thing I remember.'

He declined to identify the player who talked about the facial injuries the quarterback received during his June motorcycle crash, but said: ``I'll remember his number.'

``They made a little comment, but I won't bring it up right now,' he said. ``When I got hit, I wasn't worried about the front of it (the jaw) - it's stronger than it was before - but the back of it was a little sore.'

Roethlisberger needed seven hours of surgery to repair the facial damage caused during the crash, with strips of titanium placed in the jaw to strengthen it. He also received a concussion during an accident that occurred while he wasn't wearing a helmet.

Despite another head injury, he doesn't plan to switch to the recently designed football helmet that affords a player more protection from concussions.

Roethlisberger has had headaches since Sunday, though they are not as bad as they initially were. Still, Cowher is encouraged by the tests Roethlisberger has taken at least twice this week.

The tests measure a player's memory, attention, mental processing speed and reaction time. The results are compared to those taken when the player was healthy, and are used to determine when he can play again after a concussion.

While those close to Roethlisberger labeled the concussion as ``mild' and not worrisome, the symptoms he describes suggest otherwise.

According to widely recognized grading systems used by neurosurgeons and other medical professionals, any concussion that involves a loss of consciousness cannot be labeled as mild. Loss of consciousness, headaches and memory loss are more often associated with severe concussions.

The concussion tests NFL players take were largely designed by doctors who work in the medical complex where the Steelers practice, so Cowher isn't worried Roethlisberger might be cleared prematurely to play.

``The biggest thing is we get clearance from the medical people,' Cowher said. ``Once that has been decided then I have to sit down and talk to Ben and see how comfortable he is and see where he is.'

Long-term medical studies have suggested that players who receive multiple concussions can be increasingly susceptible to others. Roethlisberger acknowledged he may have had others in his career.

``I've been playing football a long time,' the 24-year-old said. ``I'm sure I've had a few mild dings here and there.'

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

[img width=332 height=263]http://www.profootballtalk.com/BooHooBen.jpg[/img]
    "They called me mean names and tried to hit me in the pee-pee."

POSTED 8:57 p.m. EDT; LAST UPDATED 11:33 p.m. EDT, October 25, 2006
    BIG BEN BOO-HOOS

We've said it before, we'll say it again.

Ben Roethlisberger is a drama queen.

Latest evidence?
    Roethlisberger claims that Falcons players said (sniff) mean things to him after he was busted in the head on Sunday, regarding the facial injuries he suffered in an motorcycle accident in June.

Yeah, Ben.
    It's called trash talk.
    And when you choose to drive around town on a crotch rocket without a helmet and when you smash your head into a Chrysler and when you get back onto a football field with 11 guys on the other team who are trying to get into your head, you'll have that.

Roethlisberger didn't say what was said and wouldn't say who said it, but as to the player involved he said, "I'll remember his number."

That's good, Ben.
    Because you won't play the Falcons again until 2010.
    And if you keep getting busted in the head and/or face, you'll forget the guy's number before you ever see him again.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain