Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Beware the use of Sack Statistics

http://www.profootballfocus.com/arti...c=2009-08&id=7
    Marrdro's comments follow:

I absolutely love this site.
    A bit lenghty, but a damn fine article with this little jewel at the end.

C. The Skill of a Pass Rusher
    Taking things from a different perspective sacks have been the measure of pass rushers for years but again it’s only part of the whole story. DE Ray Edwards of Minnesota managed just 6 sacks in 15 games but also weighed in with 14 hits and 33 pressures. The other piece of missing information is how many times he actually rushed the QB which in this case is 492 times. That’s a lot more pressure than the average DE from that many rushes. On the other hand Joey Porter of Miami rushed the passer 567 times and sacked the QB 17 times but managed only an additional 9 hits and 24 hurries. Porter gets notoriety from the sacks but an average 3-4 OLB, going after the quarterback as often as he does, should actually get more pressure.
    In summary sacks are a statistic that needs to be used with caution and when you hear it being used as evidence for anything other than the number of sacks given up or gained, you should be highly sceptical.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Beware the use of Sack Statistics

"Marrdro" wrote:
    In summary sacks are a statistic that needs to be used with caution and when you hear it being used as evidence for anything other than the number of sacks given up or gained, you should be highly sceptical.
    me I just use them to show how much GB's OL sucks this season - thats enough for me
    ;D
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Interesting article,
    I like it when people actually try to think of what stats mean vs just throwing them out there.

For example:

So what does pressure do to a QB? Well, when pressured or hit, a players QB rating is reduced by an average of 37 points. That’s the equivalent of turning Peyton Manning into Brad Johnson on every single play where you get pressure. Interestingly, whilst it’s great for the team, sacking a QB doesn’t alter the opposing Quarterbacks’ rating.
    and this that I wholeheartedly agree with:

The key message here is that teams like New Orleans, Indianapolis and Denver that people perceive as having excellent pass protection, because they give up a remarkably low number of sacks, aren’t at the top of the list anymore and the Colts are mid-table. So what’s the difference? We believe it’s the QB although not, as many may think, based on scrambling ability. It’s [size=10pt]much more to do with understanding the defense, pocket presence and quick release.[/size]

"tastywaves" wrote:
    Interesting article,
    I like it when people actually try to think of what stats mean vs just throwing them out there.

For example:

So what does pressure do to a QB? Well, when pressured or hit, a players QB rating is reduced by an average of 37 points. That’s the equivalent of turning Peyton Manning into Brad Johnson on every single play where you get pressure. Interestingly, whilst it’s great for the team, sacking a QB doesn’t alter the opposing Quarterbacks’ rating.

The key message here is that teams like New Orleans, Indianapolis and Denver that people perceive as having excellent pass protection, because they give up a remarkably low number of sacks, aren’t at the top of the list anymore and the Colts are mid-table. So what’s the difference? We believe it’s the QB although not, as many may think, based on scrambling ability. It’s [size=10pt]much more to do with understanding the defense, pocket presence and quick release.[/size]
    Take a look at the TE article......Amazing stuff.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/arti...=2009-08&id=13

I might have found a new "Favorite" site to read about football.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"AngloVike" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    me I just use them to show how much GB's OL sucks this season - thats enough for me
    ;D
    LMFAO,
    that just made my day Anglo.....NICE !
    LOL

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]Pass Rushing Productivity[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

http://www.profootballfocus.com/arti...=2009-11&id=65
    Marrdro's comment follows:

Another fine article with this gem in it.
    I can just hear a few of you now.....How dare they..... :

Looking at some of the more known players out there Mario Williams is only as high as 22nd place, while Jared Allen is only 30th and behind his team mate Ray Edwards. Both of the players are known to get stronger as the season goes on so it will be interesting if by the end of the season we’re talking about both guys a lot higher up the rankings.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    Interesting article,

For example:

Take a look at the TE article......Amazing stuff.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/arti...=2009-08&id=13

I might have found a new "Favorite" site to read about football.
    There is a lot of good stuff on that site that helps give you a deeper appreciation of the game.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Stats aren't the tell all?

Formo is offline Team Alumni

"V4L" wrote:
    Stats aren't the tell all?
    It's a shock, no?
    I heard somewhere that the numbers on the scoreboard when the ticker says 00:00 is the tell all.

No shit?
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

"Marrdro" wrote:
    http://www.profootballfocus.com/arti...c=2009-08&id=7
    Marrdro's comments follow:

I absolutely love this site.
    A bit lenghty, but a damn fine article with this little jewel at the end.

C. The Skill of a Pass Rusher
    Taking things from a different perspective sacks have been the measure of pass rushers for years but again it’s only part of the whole story. DE Ray Edwards of Minnesota managed just 6 sacks in 15 games but also weighed in with 14 hits and 33 pressures. The other piece of missing information is how many times he actually rushed the QB which in this case is 492 times. That’s a lot more pressure than the average DE from that many rushes. On the other hand Joey Porter of Miami rushed the passer 567 times and sacked the QB 17 times but managed only an additional 9 hits and 24 hurries. Porter gets notoriety from the sacks but an average 3-4 OLB, going after the quarterback as often as he does, should actually get more pressure.
    Very cool. I really appreciate alot of the folks who actually point out this kind of stuff and get me to think about the finer points of the game. I admit, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to stats and the like. My mind works along the lines of: Ooh...shiny, mmm...beeer, wow...nice t*ts. PPO has some of the brightest and best fans around. Keep it up!!!
    Tuco the world.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast