Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Bettis says he faked injury to avoid training camp cut

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/specials/preview/2007/08/22/bc.fbn.steelers.bettisb.ap/index.html?eref=si_nfl

[size=12pt]Bettis says he faked injury to avoid training camp cut[/size]
    Posted: Wednesday August 22, 2007 8:07PM; Updated: Wednesday August 22, 2007 8:07PM

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Jerome Bettis, the No. 5 rusher in NFL history, claims in a new book that he faked a knee injury during training camp in 2000 so the Pittsburgh Steelers wouldn't cut him and install Richard Huntley as the starter.

Bettis was worried offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride favored Huntley over him and the Steelers were ready to let Bettis go, partly so they wouldn't have to give him a new contract. Huntley had just signed a $4 million, three-year contract.

"Man, did I do a nice job of acting," Bettis wrote in the book, The Bus: My Life in and Out of a Helmet. "The thing is, I wasn't faking that I had an injury. I was just faking that the injury happened on that short-yardage play. I had to fool the coaches and the team's medical department into thinking the injury had occurred on that play. Otherwise, the Steelers would have had their reason to cut me and my salary."

Teams cannot cut an injured player during camp unless they reach an injury settlement with him.

"I effectively negated any funny business they were trying to pull on me," Bettis wrote in the book. "I took the pressure off a head coach (Bill Cowher) who was probably trying to get rid of me."
    =Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Re: Bettis says he faked injury to avoid training camp cut

I'm kind of surprised he would admit that this soon after his retirement.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"Zeus" wrote:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/specials/preview/2007/08/22/bc.fbn.steelers.bettisb.ap/index.html?eref=si_nfl

[size=12pt]Bettis says he faked injury to avoid training camp cut[/size]
    Posted: Wednesday August 22, 2007 8:07PM; Updated: Wednesday August 22, 2007 8:07PM

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Jerome Bettis, the No. 5 rusher in NFL history, claims in a new book that he faked a knee injury during training camp in 2000 so the Pittsburgh Steelers wouldn't cut him and install Richard Huntley as the starter.

Bettis was worried offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride favored Huntley over him and the Steelers were ready to let Bettis go, partly so they wouldn't have to give him a new contract. Huntley had just signed a $4 million, three-year contract.

"Man, did I do a nice job of acting," Bettis wrote in the book, The Bus: My Life in and Out of a Helmet. "The thing is, I wasn't faking that I had an injury. I was just faking that the injury happened on that short-yardage play. I had to fool the coaches and the team's medical department into thinking the injury had occurred on that play. Otherwise, the Steelers would have had their reason to cut me and my salary."

Teams cannot cut an injured player during camp unless they reach an injury settlement with him.

"I effectively negated any funny business they were trying to pull on me," Bettis wrote in the book. "I took the pressure off a head coach (Bill Cowher) who was probably trying to get rid of me."
    =Z=
    Two words. Role model.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

What an ass.....but you know what....it is a business.....and his agent probably knew about it and supported it also

ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

don't hate the player, hate the game.

And then, it worked out for the steelers down the road. I imagine that's why the Bus put out the word on this matter.

Turboe is offline Hall of Famer

Interesting.

Since I have become golf buddies with the Bus, I will have to ask him about this next time we get together to play.
    I look forward to hearing his story in person.

He is as nice of a guy as you ever want to meet, and very down to earth.

[img width=450 height=337]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/Turboe/Vikings/2006-09-21_0289light.jpg[/img]

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

They got a Super Bowl trophy out of it so they shouldn't be TOO mad!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

its really not that bad, he said the injury wasnt fake, he just acted like it happened on a play that it really didnt.
    Smart guy to me lol

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

Faking is not cool......but football is a business, and sometimes decisions get made for the wrong reasons, or people do things for the wrong reason.

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

There really is nothing wrong with this. Its not like he faked it to skip practice, training camp, or any games. Now that would be a problem.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast