Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Frostbite is offline Coach

Best Way To Visit Opposition Stadium and Have Fun??

I have been an NFL fan and a Vikings fan since the late 60s. I lived in LA in those days and had to go to the Colliseum to watch the Vikings play the Rams to see the team in action. Most of the time It was a lot of fun and back then most of the fans were very accepting of having my purple and gold manner and comments along for the show. Even as I booed Roman Gabriel after after pass completion I never felt like I was in any danger of fan retaliation. Everything was in good fun!

Since then I have moved to North Central CA and now I have two stadium choices to visit to see my beloved team. I can go to Monster park (49ers) or I can risk a trip to the Black Hole (Raiders) in Oakland if we are playing there. I was watching as Steve Young ran it in for a TD against us at the end of the game at S.F.

I really like seeing the team play in person but over the past few years the fans seem to be much less cordial and down right rude. It's actually getting dangerous to wear an opposing Jersey...colors...and show any emotion at all toward your team in fear of getting punched...spit on....or worse.

The fact of the matter is I really like the game overall and enjoy watching it in person. The price of tickets/fuel/food/and the Risk of trouble for support of my team is getting overwhelming. Since I only go occasionally as the Vikes only come to these venues once or twice a season....if that...I was thinking about just signing up for NFL Sunday Ticket and skipping the trips to the stadium.

Do any of you fans around here have any helpful suggestions?? Am I missing something??

Thanks for your help.

Cheers!

Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Best Way To Visit Opposition Stadium and Have Fun??

Just make a yearly pilgrimage to Minny to see a game at the Dome and to tailgate with your fellow fans...NOTHING LIKE IT!

I've gotten the same treatment in Washington and Baltimore (twice)...other fans really DO suck!

But don't let them keep you away from the games live if that is what you really want to do...if you do, then they win.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

I don't know if I have a helpful suggestion for you Frostbite.
    There are rude and obnoxious fans in every NFL city.
    Some of them are idiots sober.
    Then when you add alcohol they get even worse.
    I have been to many Vikings away games.
    The rudest fans I came accross were in Cincinnati.
    I had my 9 year old son with me so I wasn't drinking.
    I couldn't be obnoxious because we got crushed.
    But they were total aholes.
    I have been to many games at Soldier Field and never had a problem there.
    I would have thought that I would have had more problems with a division rival than a non-conference foe.
    It seems to me that if the Vikings are winning a Viking fan is less likely to take so much crap.
    If the Vikings are getting beat, then it is open season.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

Rudest fans are in Philly...hands down.

Buy the Sunday Ticket and go to a game in the Dome once a year if you can.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Frostbite is offline Coach

You touched a nerve with that response Cajunvike. It has been one of my most coveted dreams to be able to travel to Minnesota and actually see the Vikes play in person. I wanted to do this years ago when they were playing in the old Metropolitan stadium. Every time I have planned to go something has come up to change the plans. Well....next season I am going to do it.....I have never been to the Twin Cities so I plan on doing it right with a two week vacation in October.....tailgate included....if I can get Tickets and find some local fans that would welcome a long distance traveler.

In any case....I have to do this at least once in my life.....

Vikingsfan.....You are right about the rude and obnoxious fans....This has gotten worse over the past 10 years or so. Even right in front of security they do crazy stuff.
    thanks for your comments.

Cheers!
    Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Frostbite" wrote:
    You touched a nerve with that response Cajunvike. It has been one of my most coveted dreams to be able to travel to Minnesota and actually see the Vikes play in person. I wanted to do this years ago when they were playing in the old Metropolitan stadium. Every time I have planned to go something has come up to change the plans. Well....next season I am going to do it.....I have never been to the Twin Cities so I plan on doing it right with a two week vacation in October.....tailgate included....if I can get Tickets and find some local fans that would welcome a long distance traveler.

In any case....I have to do this at least once in my life.....

Vikingsfan.....You are right about the rude and obnoxious fans....This has gotten worse over the past 10 years or so. Even right in front of security they do crazy stuff.
    thanks for your comments.

Cheers!
    THAT has never been a problem with this group...you will be welcomed with open arms...as I have, and as all members here have been.
    The PP.O'ers are the greatest hosts that any Vikings fan could hope for...just
    ask them to help you...you will be overwhelmed by the positive response that you get!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

One can not live in fear.
    I went to the Chiefs game in KC, and everyone was decent about it.

Rule of thumb is don't be a dick and you won't get hurt.
    I also suggest very low alcohol consumption so you don't think you are stronger than you are.
    Breaking of this suggestion may get you hurt.
    LOL!

Otherwise, like Cajun said, make the trip to MN.
    Safe!

There are one or two stadiums that I would just plain stay away from because it just wouldn't be enjoyable having beer, batteries and snow thrown at me.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

I also live in N Ca.
    I would travel to see the Niners and Vikes play.
    I think 49er fans for the most part are polite.
    I would not go to the black hole (Raiders) wearing colors as an opposing team fan.

The way its going with fan violence it won't be long till we are just as bad as European soccer fans.
    :

WWBGD

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"snowinapril" wrote:

Rule of thumb is don't be a dick and you won't get hurt.
    I also suggest very low alcohol consumption so you don't think you are stronger than you are.
    Breaking of this suggestion may get you hurt.
    LOL!

Otherwise, like Cajun said, make the trip to MN.
    Safe!

There are one or two stadiums that I would just plain stay away from because it just wouldn't be enjoyable having beer, batteries and snow thrown at me.
    I was going to say the best way to go is the same as any other event, inebriated.

But SIA already suggested against that.

lakehubertviking is offline Asst. Coach

"snowinapril" wrote:

True, I went to an Angels game last year (when Liriano had a no-hitter into the 6th or 7th) and everyone was cool even though we beat them.
    Then I went to a Dodgers game with my Wife and her Aunt (when He Sop Choi hit three HRs) and even though they beat us some thuggish ruggish, vatos locos looking mother f-ers were throwing stuff at us on the way out even after the Twins lost and the Aunt was wearing Dodgers gear.

Definitely wouldn't want to go to the black hole wearing purple, it's one thing to support the team but if you're not going to get to enjoy the game because people are spitting on you and swearing at you everytime your team does something good you might as well stay home and watch on TV.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast