Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Bengals: Let us cut the poop

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070927/NEWS01/309270023/-1/CINCI

[size=10pt]Bengals: Let us cut the poop[/size]
    BY JANE PRENDERGAST AND MARK CURNUTTE | [email protected] AND [email protected]

Operators of Paul Brown Stadium want permission from the city to kill birds that have been pooping on Bengals fans.

Pigeon droppings have been falling on patrons and into their food and beverages, according to a letter to the city from Eric Brown, managing director of Paul Brown Stadium Ltd., which runs the stadium for Hamilton County, which owns it.

He asked in his letter that stadium employees who are familiar with firearms be allowed to shoot birds a few days prior to an event, adding that company officials believe the shooting to be a “cost-effective way to get this problem under control.”

City officials are working with stadium officials on both the legalities of killing the birds as well as the means by which they might be killed, said city spokeswoman Meg Olberding.

The bird issue becomes public just as Cincinnati is preparing to again be center stage as the home of a Monday Night Football game. Mayor Mark Mallory is touting the game as a way to highlight the positives of Cincinnati, asking employers to encourage their workers to wear orange and black Monday. Downtown office buildings will be lit up, and 17 downtown restaurants promise food and drink specials.

The bird problem solved itself initially, with fan noise on game days driving the birds away, said Bob Bedinghaus, the Bengals’ director of development. But the birds apparently have adapted. In fact, pigeon poop has become such a big problem around the National Football League, he said, that officials have discussed it at league meetings and stadium management meetings.

"Like every other big building in the city, pigeons make their way to our building,” Bedinghaus said Thursday. “In three of the four corners of the club level, they land and are an irritant during the week. We have to clean up a lot of bird poop. We’re looking for options to rid ourselves of these little critters.”

Brown, in his letter, wrote that any shooting “would be done discreetly during times when there is little activity in the stadium.”
    =Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Bengals: Let us cut the poop

With the Patriots coming to town they might not have enough fan noise to scare the birds away.
    The Pat's are going to put a whipping on them.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

W

"Zeus" wrote:
    http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070927/NEWS01/309270023/-1/CINCI

[size=10pt]Bengals: Let us cut the poop[/size]
    BY JANE PRENDERGAST AND MARK CURNUTTE | [email protected] AND [email protected]

Operators of Paul Brown Stadium want permission from the city to kill birds that have been pooping on Bengals fans.

Pigeon droppings have been falling on patrons and into their food and beverages, according to a letter to the city from Eric Brown, managing director of Paul Brown Stadium Ltd., which runs the stadium for Hamilton County, which owns it.

He asked in his letter that stadium employees who are familiar with firearms be allowed to shoot birds a few days prior to an event, adding that company officials believe the shooting to be a “cost-effective way to get this problem under control.”

City officials are working with stadium officials on both the legalities of killing the birds as well as the means by which they might be killed, said city spokeswoman Meg Olberding.

The bird issue becomes public just as Cincinnati is preparing to again be center stage as the home of a Monday Night Football game. Mayor Mark Mallory is touting the game as a way to highlight the positives of Cincinnati, asking employers to encourage their workers to wear orange and black Monday. Downtown office buildings will be lit up, and 17 downtown restaurants promise food and drink specials.

The bird problem solved itself initially, with fan noise on game days driving the birds away, said Bob Bedinghaus, the Bengals’ director of development. But the birds apparently have adapted. In fact, pigeon poop has become such a big problem around the National Football League, he said, that officials have discussed it at league meetings and stadium management meetings.

"Like every other big building in the city, pigeons make their way to our building,” Bedinghaus said Thursday. “In three of the four corners of the club level, they land and are an irritant during the week. We have to clean up a lot of bird poop. We’re looking for options to rid ourselves of these little critters.”

Brown, in his letter, wrote that any shooting “would be done discreetly during times when there is little activity in the stadium.”
    =Z=
    Sounds like a job for.....DAVE WINFIELD!!!

http://alexreisner.com/baseball/docs/AlexReisnerBirdKillers.pdf

Or one of the others in that article.

OR maybe THIS guy:

http://ballhype.com/story/n_a_637/
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

ain't it a bummer when you find that the concession food tastes better after this happens?

Given the Bengals criminal connections, then they could probably raise a small army of people familar with firearms...

sounds like an ideal plan to deal with the excess bird population - pigeon pie anyone ?
    ;D
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Mayor Mark Mallory is touting the game as a way to highlight the positives of Cincinnati
    Honestly, In all the time I've liveD here and I go to Cincinnati on a monthly basis and been to Reds and Bengals sporting events, I have not found one "positive" for the city of Cincinnati. NOT ONE!
    Oh wait, I forgot about Bass Pro being there.
    ;D
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Mayor Mark Mallory is touting the game as a way to highlight the positives of Cincinnati
    Honestly, In all the time I've liveD here and I go to Cincinnati on a monthly basis and been to Reds and Bengals sporting events, I have not found one "positive" for the city of Cincinnati. NOT ONE!
    ;D
    course there is .... isn't the city motto " We'll at least it's not Cleveland " ?
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"AngloVike" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    ;D
    course there is .... isn't the city motto " We'll at least it's not Cleveland " ?
    ROTF!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE