Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Belichick 4th Down Call

"kevoncox" wrote:
    It was the right call. You have an offense that is rounding into top 3 form. You take the game into your own hands and gain 2 yards to seal the victory. You don't give Manning 2 mins to drive the field. He does that in his sleep. I hate the Pats but I think people like to see Beliechick fail. The guy made the right call. He punts and the colts win, everyone is saying " How could he not go for it on 4th and 2". Live like a Lion or lose like a lamb.
    Apparently it wasn't the right call.
    And I hardly doubt there would be a slew of people saying "How could he not go for it on 4th and 2", when he's probably the only coach in the league in that situation who would even dream of going for it.

I appreciate that you like to see an aggressively called game, but that was more reckless than aggressive.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"tastywaves" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    It was the right call. You have an offense that is rounding into top 3 form. You take the game into your own hands and gain 2 yards to seal the victory. You don't give Manning 2 mins to drive the field. He does that in his sleep. I hate the Pats but I think people like to see Beliechick fail. The guy made the right call. He punts and the colts win, everyone is saying " How could he not go for it on 4th and 2". Live like a Lion or lose like a lamb.
    And I hardly doubt there would be a slew of people saying "How could he not go for it on 4th and 2", when he's probably the only coach in the league in that situation who would even dream of going for it.

I appreciate that you like to see an aggressively called game, but that was more reckless than aggressive.
    I think you really have to look at what his defense did the previous series to completely understand the call.
    Sure the INT was a nice way to end the second one in that quarter but the other two were absolutely train wrecks.

I would have opted for the Brady/Welker attempt as well.

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...4d16cb1a36df4c
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:

I think you really have to look at what his defense did the previous series to completely understand the call.
    Sure the INT was a nice way to end the second one in that quarter but the other two were absolutely train wrecks.

There's no guarantee the Patriots win no matter what the call, but assuming Manning wins the game if you give the ball is not giving your own ball club much credit.
    Yes Manning just ate them up, doesn't mean he will again, he very well could have made another slip up ending the game.
    I say make them earn it and don't just give them the game.

"tastywaves" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:

There's no guarantee the Patriots win no matter what the call, but assuming Manning wins the game if you give the ball is not giving your own ball club much credit.
    Yes Manning just ate them up, doesn't mean he will again, he very well could have made another slip up ending the game.
    I agree with you to a point.
    In hindsight he might rethink it.
    Again, its Peyton, basically has been handing your defense its butt for whole quarter. You have Tom Terrific and Wes "the greatest slot reciever" Welker.

Again, I go for it.

In the end, you are still gonna win your division.
    A risked loss here really doesn't hurt anything, other than of course, the message you sent to your D.
    My guess they were so gassed they probably thanked him later.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:

Again, its Peyton, basically has been handing your defense its butt for whole quarter. You have Tom Terrific and Wes "the greatest slot reciever" Welker.

Again, I go for it.

A risked loss here really doesn't hurt anything, other than of course, the message you sent to your D.

I love the call, and I also love the outcome. But to me, it looked like Faulk had the first down with his forward progress (assuming that little yellow line is accurate). Belicheat goes on 4th down more than any other coach, and why not? His success rate on 4th and 2 or less is 76.4% (according to Schefter)...not too shabby. He's got a few pretty good weapons on offense.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ick/index.html

Why Belichick made right decision

Posted: Monday November 16, 2009 12:21PM; Updated: Monday November 16, 2009 12:38PM
    Joe Posnanski
    But ... Belichick went for it. And here's the reason: He doesn't care about any of that stuff. He doesn't care about sentiment or history or what every other coach would do. He doesn't care about anything at all except winning the game. The best explanation I've read of the decision so far this morning comes from Brian Burke in the New York Times Fifth Down Blog. Burke was a Navy pilot, and now he writes the Advanced NFL Stats blog.

His explanation is this: A team picks up 4th and 2 about 60 percent of the time -- and we all know that a fourth down conversion in this case means certain victory. On the flip side: A team would score a game-winning touchdown from the 30 about 53 percent of the time. This leads to this formula -- the first part is the 60 percent multiplied by 1 (1 signifying the certain victory if the play is converted). The second part is 40 percent multiplied by the chance of winning the game if the 4th down play fails:

(.60 *1) + (.40*(1-.53)) = 78.8% chance of winning.

There you go. Burke then estimates the chance of winning if Belichick punts -- that is the chance of a team going 66 yards for a touchdown in the final two minutes. He says, historically, teams get that about 30 percent of the time. So a punt gives the Patriots a 70 percent chance of winning.

And there you go -- 78.8 percent chance of winning vs. a 70 percent chance if you punt. It really is clear cut. I don't know if Belichick plays with such percentages in his mind, but instinctively he knew his team's best chance to win was to go for it.
    =Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"Zeus" wrote:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ick/index.html

Why Belichick made right decision

Posted: Monday November 16, 2009 12:21PM; Updated: Monday November 16, 2009 12:38PM
    Joe Posnanski
    And there you go -- 78.8 percent chance of winning vs. a 70 percent chance if you punt.
    =Z=
    Sweet.
    That's pretty much exactly what I'm saying, with some better numbers and explanation and a few small differences.

And that's why I don't buy the 'sending a bad message to your defense,' or 'not making the Colts earn it.'

Because it was the call that gave the Pats the best chance to win.

EDIT: Just saw this interesting little tool: Belichick Odds Calculator
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"VikingMike" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    [quote author=kevoncox link=topic=54199.msg1017649#msg1017649 date=1258395786]

Again, I go for it.

I love the call, and I also love the outcome. But to me, it looked like Faulk had the first down with his forward progress
    [/quote]

He didn't.
    The reason is, he bobbled the ball.
    At first I thought it was an awful spot by the refs, but when I saw the replay, Faulk bobbled the ball, and didn't catch it until he was back behind the first down line.
    The spot was accurate IMO.
    Had Faulk not bobbled the ball, Bellicheck would be looking like a genieus now instead of an idiot.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

I think it is the right cal not because of these dumb percentages and crap but because if you get the first down, you win the game. When the best player in the game is ready to come onto the field, and you know he is going to score no matter where he gets the ball from, of course you have to go for it. I completed agree with the call.
    We're bringing purple back.

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    He didn't.
    The reason is, he bobbled the ball.
    At first I thought it was an awful spot by the refs, but when I saw the replay, Faulk bobbled the ball, and didn't catch it until he was back behind the first down line.
    The spot was accurate IMO.
    Had Faulk not bobbled the ball, Bellicheck would be looking like a genieus now instead of an idiot.
    Excellent post my friend.......I wonder how many Pats fans are saying the refs screwed them.
    ;D

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast