Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

Re: Bears RB Cedric Benson arrested

hopefully he doesnt get suspended cuz i want him to play cuz he sux... haha

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    purharps the stupidest charges yet.
    How so?

Have you ever been to a boat ramp were you have lines of boats waiting to get out of the water and have a few yutz's in there so drunk they run into people?

Have you ever seen a boater so drunk he ran into a dock at high speed?
    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...pagewanted=all

Have you ever been out in your boat and some yutz (drunk of course) comes by you way to fast and swamps your boat?

Have you ever seen a boater so drunk he fell overboard and wasn't recovered for several days after the divers found him?

Those things happen all the time and are the biggest reason why it is illegal to operate a boat under the influence.
    Here is a interesting read for you.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/educati...nt_summary.pdf

Never knew it was that dangerous on the water. I'm a boating novice and I have only been out a couple of times. It just seemed like harmless fun out in the water. My buddies and i would get a couple of girls. Hit the water and do a little fishing and drinking on the water. This is 1 time i will gladly admit that I have raditional foot in mouth disorder.
    I drink on my boat as well, however, within moderation.
    We have the coast gaurd and local police out and about in force boarding boats to make sure we are legal.

It is very very bad around here to say the least.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

[size=13pt]Cedric Benson arrested, alleges cop abuse[/size]

Bear will fight charges; says he didn't resist arrest, wasn't drunk

By Vaughn McClure
    Tribune reporter
    chicagosports.chicagotribune.com

May 5, 2008

Cedric Benson fully intends to fight misdemeanor charges of boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest stemming from a Saturday night incident near Austin, Texas, during which police used pepper spray to detain him....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

An LCRA spokesman said Benson, who failed a sobriety "float test" (an abbreviated version of a field sobriety test) on his 37-foot yacht, argued over taking a follow-up test on land and refused to put on a life jacket.
    Hmmm, I am withholding judgment on this one until we hear more.
    Obviously Benson was acting like a jackass for not complying with the police orders.
    Refusing to do a follow up test on land, and refusing to get off the boat once it was docked is stupid.
    Especially if he wasn't drinking (as he claims).
    Refusing a test carries the same penalty as failing one.

But the lifejacket?
    It is a 37' yacht.
    Why the floop does he need to wear a life jacket while on it.
    I don't know about the laws in texas, but in every other state I have been on, you just need to have one per adult on the boat (although children may have to wear them).

Sounds to me like he believed that the random boat check wasn't all that random, and he decided to get into a pissing contest with the cops.
    And lost.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

damviking is offline Training Camp

i think the life jacket issue was on the cops boat not the 37 ft boat.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    An LCRA spokesman said Benson, who failed a sobriety "float test" (an abbreviated version of a field sobriety test) on his 37-foot yacht, argued over taking a follow-up test on land and refused to put on a life jacket.
    Obviously Benson was acting like a j~~~~~~s for not complying with the police orders.
    Refusing to do a follow up test on land, and refusing to get off the boat once it was docked is stupid.

But the lifejacket?
    It is a 37' yacht.
    I don't know about the laws in texas, but in every other state I have been on, you just need to have one per adult on the boat (although children may have to wear them).

Sounds to me like he believed that the random boat check wasn't all that random, and he decided to get into a pissing contest with the cops.
    And lost.
    You do not need to wear a lifejacket on a boat in texas if you are over 12/13 years of age.
    Even a water skier is not required to wear a life jacket, however, quite stupid if you don't.
    On a boat over 25' I believe, kids don't need to wear life jackets.
    I think they just wanted the lifejacket on him to take him to shore.
    Jetski's require a lifejacket which is what a lot of the water patrol guys use.

No doubt he was in Devil's Cove on Lake Travis.
    It's a big party cove where boats hang out and tie up and generally drink massive amounts of alcohol.
    Been there plenty of times myself and have seen many a knuckleheads who shouldn't be driving a boat.

Boating penalties in general bring much larger fines than on land.
    We have a lot of accidents on Travis and a fair amount of deaths, usually from people who are not that familiar with driving a boat, unaware of the dangers and out partying.
    Put a couple hundred of these guys together in a small area of the lake and all kinds of pooh happens.

Not sure what the real story on Benson is, but I find it hard to believe he was as innocent as he says.
    I have found the boat patrol guys to be pretty good about targeting the boats that are acting dangerous and leaving the rest of them alone.
    if he had a bunch of people on his boat, than he opens himself up more to be targeted for a boat inspection.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"tastywaves" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Obviously Benson was acting like a j~~~~~~s for not complying with the police orders.

But the lifejacket?
    It is a 37' yacht.

And lost.
    You do not need to wear a lifejacket on a boat in texas if you are over 12/13 years of age.
    Even a water skier is not required to wear a life jacket, however, quite stupid if you don't.

It's a big party cove where boats hang out and tie up and generally drink massive amounts of alcohol.
    Been there plenty of times myself and have seen many a knuckleheads who shouldn't be driving a boat.

We have a lot of accidents on Travis and a fair amount of deaths, usually from people who are not that familiar with driving a boat, unaware of the dangers and out partying.
    Put a couple hundred of these guys together in a small area of the lake and all kinds of pooh happens.

Not sure what the real story on Benson is, but I find it hard to believe he was as innocent as he says.
    I have found the boat patrol guys to be pretty good about targeting the boats that are acting dangerous and leaving the rest of them alone.
    if he had a bunch of people on his boat, than he opens himself up more to be targeted for a boat inspection.
    AH, that is some good information tastywaves.
    Thanks for clearing that up for me!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

But the lifejacket?
    It is a 37' yacht.

And lost.

AH, that is some good information tastywaves.
    Thanks for clearing that up for me!
    One correction,
    I just checked and it looks like anyone being towed by a boat does need a lifejacket.
    Not sure this was the case a few years ago, but definitely a good idea.
    Not too hard to get knocked out by a bad fall or crash.
    I banged up my ribs pretty good this weekend on a slalom fall, glad I had a life jacket, don't think I would have been in the best swimming shape.

Json is offline GM

Unless your an African American man on a super expensive yacht?????
    Just sayin.

"Json" wrote:
    Unless your an African American man on a super expensive yacht?????
    Just sayin.
    Maybe, but he is a very recognized Longhorn.
    And Longhorn worship runs very deep in Austin, unless the patrol guy was an Aggie, then that probalby did him in right there.
    Seems kind of extreme if he did absolutely nothing, especially with a bunch of witnesses.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast