Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Bears fans now can park close – for $100

its pretty common knowledge. the trick is you gotta discretely take a swab and swab them then run tests and then if they test clean, go back the next day and hope they didn't contract anything since then.

or if you don't mind a bit of an itch for awhile then just go for it :razz:

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    its pretty common knowledge. the trick is you gotta discretely take a swab and swab them then run tests and then if they test clean, go back the next day and hope they didn't contract anything since then.

or if you don't mind a bit of an itch for awhile then just go for it :razz:
    I guess that depends on what's more important. The itch to "get some" or the itch after! :grin:

One most prioritize!

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

[size=18px]Park District money grab makes tailgaters roar [/size]

June 18, 2006
    BY DAVE NEWBART Staff Reporter
    Chicago Sun-Times

To any reasonable soul, paying $100 to park for a few hours is not only ridiculous, it's outrageous. But that's what the Chicago Park District plans to charge for hundreds of "VIP' spaces outside Soldier Field during Bears games next season. One-third of the district's 2,200 coveted spaces outside the stadium will now carry the new price, nearly triple the old $35 fee. To reserve your spot, you'll have to drop a cool $1,000 for the season in advance. That's about the price of two season tickets in some sections of the stadium.

The Park District argues that some fans were already paying $100 or more for parking coupons on the Internet. If some idiot will pay that much to park, why shouldn't the Park District charge it?

But as a rabid Bears fan nearly since birth, I need to pick apart the district's argument.

First off, it's bad enough for sports teams -- who enjoy near monopoly status in town -- to gouge fans. But for a public body like the Park District to blatantly rip off fans basically legitimizes the practice. And many fans are Chicago residents who pay taxes that support the district.

But even worse, this scheme is bound to make it prohibitive for average fans to participate in a decades-old, well-loved Chicago tradition. I am talking about tailgating, a grass-roots, love-thy-neighbor activity that is as much a part of the Chicago spirit as concerts in Grant Park or swimming at the beach.

To tailgate, friends come together and bring everything needed to enjoy a Thanksgiving-like feast. Everybody pitches in -- from ice to charcoal to massive grills and picnic tables, and yes, lots of beer. Then you stand outside -- typically in the freezing cold -- eating, drinking and laughing about a common passion. In the process, you meet fellow fans tailgating nearby.

I've yet to come across another group of fans who didn't offer me a bite to eat, a beer, or both, before I even knew their names. I've fed countless others after cooking up steaks, Italian sausage or barbecue chicken. It's a weekly St. Joseph's Table.

Although the current $35 charge is also an ungodly sum to pay to park, tailgating is a money-saver because it greatly reduces the number of $6.50 beers and $7 sandwiches you buy inside the stadium.

This isn't the first time fans' ability to tailgate has been restricted. When Soldier Field was renovated, the number of parking spaces available to tailgaters was significantly reduced. Many spaces were squirreled away and offered to corporate suite holders and Cadillac Club members. Many of those fans don't tailgate, preferring to pay the steep prices at the luxurious private club inside the stadium.

And by increasing the parking fee at that time to $35 -- a sum not charged by the most expensive garages in the city -- officials limited who could afford to tailgate. As it stands, the only way I can justify the $35 is by splitting the cost with as many friends as can pile in a car.

I have no illusions that even being able to go to Bears games now is an activity available to fans of all incomes. Expensive personal seat licenses and ticket prices ranging from $60 to $340 limit who can afford to go to games.

But charging $100 will again almost certainly change the make-up of those who tailgate.

If there were plentiful tailgating options near the stadium, that would be one thing. But the city and the Bears hold a monopoly on the few lots near the field. Jacking up the price for 700 spots will make demand for the cheaper ones that much greater. At that point, what will stop the Bears from increasing the prices of their parking spots?

Officials argue that other cities or clubs are doing it. That's equivalent to saying Team A rips off its fans, so why shouldn't we? And if unscrupulous fans are selling passes for several times their face value on eBay, the answer is to condemn them -- even prosecute them for scalping -- not to join them.

Wealthy fans shouldn't be the only ones able to tailgate or watch Chicago's most storied team play. The Park District should spike this unsportsmanlike plan.

Park District money grab makes tailgaters roar

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123