Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Baskett using snub as fuel at start of NFL career

>_< yeah, exactly like that (thanks for driving my point straight into the ground in 3 words singer :lol

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    >_< yeah, exactly like that (thanks for driving my point straight into the ground in 3 words singer :lol
    My point is if people think that Childress can make something out of McMahon, then why the hell couldn't he when they were both in Philly?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Odin VAVikefan is offline Pro-Bowler

"singersp" wrote:

[size=18px]Baskett using snub as fuel at start of NFL career[/size]

"Philadelphia is a place where I fit in," Baskett said. "To be starting my NFL career catching from Donovan McNabb. Who's a better quarterback that you can have throwing to you?
    Payton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Tom Brady, Matt Hasselbeck, Carson Palmer Drew Brees and Daunte Culpepper (depending on injury return form), probably Trent Green, Jake Delhomme, Brad Johnson, and Marc Bulger.

Basically 1/3rd of the league's starting QB's.

And Shaun Hill??
    NMA -- www.newmodelarmy.org

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"baumy300" wrote:
    I aid to myself right away "What the hell are they doing?"

Baskett needed at least a year or two to prove himself. Who drafts a huge red zone target only to trade him for a nobody?

Totally stupid move.

We did not draft Baskett he was an Undrafted Free Agent, which means that all 32 teams passed on drafting him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This guy is not a sure thing even to make an NFL roster, let a lone be a Hall Of Famer like some people are acting like we traded one away!

He has not caught 1 pass in the NFL, he was not drafted and he is not fast, he is a tall possession receiver that may have a shot in the NFL.

The guy we traded Baskett for was a more proven player coming out of college, he is just as tall and he has 3 years experience in the NFL that Baskett does not.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

This time next year we'll be reading how Baskett burst onto the scene with the Eagles, making his first start in week 5, catching 3 passes for 39 yards and a TD.

Ending his season with a stellar 19 catches for 224 yards and a TD. But, he's poised for a breakout season in year 2, after feeling snubbed when removed from the starting lineup after 3 weeks without a catch.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"bigdaddy72_1" wrote:
    Both these guys are practice squad meat. I can't believe that a guy who caught 67 passes in a crappy conference is even being discussed right now. I mean come on. Think of it this way, how many corners, safeties, or linebackers were drafted out of the Mountain West...zero, and this guy put up mediocre numbers against them, he's nothing to waste our time talking about.
    CAN YOU SAY JERRY RICE???

Don't use the "crappy conference" argument...it just makes you sound elitist...and look pretty stupid when people rattle off names like Walter Payton and Doug Williams and COUNTLESS others who have not only MADE the NFL, but have EXCELLED in the pro game!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

bigdaddy72_1 is offline Starter

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "bigdaddy72_1" wrote:
    Both these guys are practice squad meat. I can't believe that a guy who caught 67 passes in a crappy conference is even being discussed right now. I mean come on. Think of it this way, how many corners, safeties, or linebackers were drafted out of the Mountain West...zero, and this guy put up mediocre numbers against them, he's nothing to waste our time talking about.

Don't use the "crappy conference" argument...it just makes you sound elitist...and look pretty stupid when people rattle off names like Walter Payton and Doug Williams and COUNTLESS others who have not only MADE the NFL, but have EXCELLED in the pro game!
    The main problem with that arguement is that I played against the Mountain West Conference, so if I am criticizing it, I am not elitist because I belong to said group. The Mountain West is not a passing conference, nor is the conference in which I played, the Great West. These two conferences are very good ground game conferences. There are alot of linemen and runningbacks that will end up in the NFL, but I highly doubt that any of the receivers that played in these conferences will amount to anything.

"singersp" wrote:
    Vikes_King wrote:
    >_< yeah, exactly like that (thanks for driving my point straight into the ground in 3 words singer Laughing)

My point is if people think that Childress can make something out of McMahon, then why the hell couldn't he when they were both in Philly?
    These players are not starters and will not have great careers in the NFL. They are role players that know the offense and may be able to help demonstrate things in practice, or in McMahon's case, may have to step in and actually play every once in a while. Just because McMahon still aspires to be a starting QB in the NFL does not mean that that is what Childress has in mind, and plus that motivates him to work hard, stay in shape, and create competiton within the QB ranks of the Vikings. There are 55 people on an NFL roster and only 22 start, that leaves alot of room for players such as these to play their specific toles on the football team without actually touching the field.

"bigdaddy72_1" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "bigdaddy72_1" wrote:

The main problem with that arguement is that I played against the Mountain West Conference, so if I am criticizing it, I am not elitist because I belong to said group. The Mountain West is not a passing conference, nor is the conference in which I played, the Great West. These two conferences are very good ground game conferences. There are alot of linemen and runningbacks that will end up in the NFL, but I highly doubt that any of the receivers that played in these conferences will amount to anything.

"singersp" wrote:
    Vikes_King wrote:
    >_< yeah, exactly like that (thanks for driving my point straight into the ground in 3 words singer Laughing)

These players are not starters and will not have great careers in the NFL. They are role players that know the offense and may be able to help demonstrate things in practice, or in McMahon's case, may have to step in and actually play every once in a while. Just because McMahon still aspires to be a starting QB in the NFL does not mean that that is what Childress has in mind, and plus that motivates him to work hard, stay in shape, and create competiton within the QB ranks of the Vikings. There are 55 people on an NFL roster and only 22 start, that leaves alot of room for players such as these to play their specific toles on the football team without actually touching the field.
    Although Northern Colorado has moved to the Big Sky Conference for 2006, this player was played for them while they were still members of the Great West Conference:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2005/prospects/vincent_jackson.html

bigdaddy72_1 is offline Starter

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "bigdaddy72_1" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "bigdaddy72_1" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:
    Vikes_King wrote:

Although Northern Colorado has moved to the Big Sky Conference for 2006, this player was played for them while they were still members of the Great West Conference:

Yeah, played against him, but I can't remember which team drafted him. Personally, I think the guy is a waste of talent. He's a tall, thick, muscular, guy but he doesn't like going across the middle and doesn't fight for the ball. All in all the guy has the tools but just doesn't have the attitude, everybody owes him or something. Sounds alot like Baskett. So I will maintain my previous statement, I don't think that any of the receivers in these conferences will amount to anything.

"bigdaddy72_1" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "bigdaddy72_1" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "bigdaddy72_1" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:
    Vikes_King wrote:

Yeah, played against him, but I can't remember which team drafted him. Personally, I think the guy is a waste of talent. He's a tall, thick, muscular, guy but he doesn't like going across the middle and doesn't fight for the ball. All in all the guy has the tools but just doesn't have the attitude, everybody owes him or something. Sounds alot like Baskett. So I will maintain my previous statement, I don't think that any of the receivers in these conferences will amount to anything.
    San Diego Chargers, second round...the "experts" are predicting that he will have a breakout season:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/jackson_vincent

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12