LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

Barry tears quad tendon, likely out for year(not Bonds)

Four-year veteran offensive lineman Kevin Barry, who was contending for a starting job on the Green Bay Packers' revamped blocking unit, likely will miss the entire 2006 season after tests revealed he sustained a torn left quadriceps tendon during a workout last Sunday morning.

First-year coach Mike McCarthy confirmed the torn quadriceps Tuesday after Barry underwent two days of testing to determine the extent of the injury.

Barry, 26, will undergo surgery, likely within the next week, and Green Bay officials will wait for results of the operation to determine whether to place him on injured reserve for the year. Such quadriceps injuries, however, require a long rehabilitation period, particularly for linemen.

The injury occurred during a one-on-one pass blocking drill and, when Barry crumpled to the ground, the immediate suspicion was that the injury was a severe one.

The loss of Barry, a promising lineman who has struggled with weight issues throughout his NFL career, is a setback for the Packers, who have dramatically changed their line philosophy to a zone-blocking scheme under McCarthy and offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski. Because of the switch, which requires quicker linemen, and the departure of center Mike Flanagan in free agency, Green Bay is rebuilding the interior of its offensive line.

Even though he is bigger (6-feet-4, 341 pounds) than the new staff prefers, Barry was challenging for a starting spot at guard. He was also the team's most experienced backup at tackle, behind starters Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher, and spent part of the offseason working at tackle. In the past, Barry often lined up as an extra tight end in short-yardage and goal-line situations, or when former coach Mike Sherman opted to go to his so-called "U-71" personnel package, to stress a power running game.

If Barry is lost for the season, the Packers could line up with rookie Daryn Colledge, a second-round draft choice, and second-year veteran Junius Coston at the guard spots. Two-year veteran Scott Wells is the likely successor to Flanagan as the starting center.

A former University of Arizona standout, Barry made the Green Bay roster in 2002 as an undrafted college free agent. In four seasons, he has appeared in 59 games and logged eight starts. Barry has always been an intriguing prospect, a physically gifted player the Green Bay staff believed possessed starter-level skills if he could get his weight under control.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2455256

Man, sucks for them, rocks for us.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

Prophet Guest

Re: Barry tears quad tendon, likely out for year(not Bonds)

Hey Lucky, already a thread on this topic.

Say hello to Bill.

Click on Bill’s face

I'm not a newb so don't post that at me... :thebirdman:

I haven't seen a thread made about it and yea, I admit I didn't do a search.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

Prophet Guest

Nobody is immune to Bill. I was billed last week. It happens, if you deserve it you will receive it. Simple as that. You appear to be pretty serious for a leprechaun.

Maybe you prefer a young woman instead?

Click on me, pretty please…

Now, that's not offensive to me. I'd really like to c"lick" that! :tongue:

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

i may just shed a tear for the fudgepackers.............then again, maybe i won't
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Is this Barry guy the same guy they had an article on about being over weight? If so, this is a huge blow not only for the Cheese, but for him as well..