Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Asante Samuel out of picture: No deal, no minicamp

[size=13pt]Samuel out of picture: No deal, no minicamp[/size]

By Karen Guregian
    Boston Herald
    General Sports Reporter and Columnist

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 - Updated: 01:46 AM EST

BOLTON - Asante Samuel [stats] did not join his Patriots [team stats] teammates at Marquise Hill’s wake Friday in New Orleans, nor did he attend the funeral, according to several people who were at the services.

He also won’t be in Foxboro today for the team’s mandatory minicamp, his agent said last night.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Asante Samuel out of picture: No deal, no minicamp

I wonder if we could trade one disgruntled employee for another.
    Pros/Cons
    Both are considered pretty good.

Both are about the same hieght.
    One is younger than the other.

Long term contract might be worth spending some of our cap on.
    Winfield seems to be a bit more productive, however, he does have more experience.
    When will age start affecting his play?
    Will Samuel keep getting better or has he peaked?
    We would probably have to give up more than just Winfield.
    Samuel had a shoulder injury other than that couldn't find anything else on either.

Asante - 5'10" 185lbs 4 years exp.
    YEAR TEAM G TOT SOLO AST PD SACK FF REC INT YDS TD
    2003 NWE 16 34

2004 NWE 13 39

2005 NWE 15 54

2006 NWE 15 65

60 5 24
    1 0

Antoine 5'9" 180 lbs 8 years exp.
    2003 BUF 16 109

2004 MIN 14 88

2005 MIN 16 98

2006 MIN 16 97

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/player...e?statsId=4672
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    I wonder if we could trade one disgruntled employee for another.
    Pros/Cons
    Both are considered pretty good.

Both are about the same hieght.
    One is younger than the other.

Long term contract might be worth spending some of our cap on.
    Winfield seems to be a bit more productive, however, he does have more experience.
    When will age start affecting his play?
    Will Samuel keep getting better or has he peaked?
    We would probably have to give up more than just Winfield.
    Samuel had a shoulder injury other than that couldn't find anything else on either.

Asante - 5'10" 185lbs 4 years exp.
    2003 NWE 16 34

2004 NWE 13 39

2005 NWE 15 54

2006 NWE 15 65

60 5 24
    1 0

Antoine 5'9" 180 lbs 8 years exp.
    2003 BUF 16 109

2004 MIN 14 88

2005 MIN 16 98

2006 MIN 16 97

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/player...e?statsId=4672
    Your stats are wrong.
    Why use ESPN when the NFL has all the official stuff?

Asante Samuel:
    Defensive Stats
    Year
    Team G Total Tkl Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD Pass Def
    2003 New England Patriots 16 34 30.0 4 0 2 55 27.5 55 1 5
    2004 New England Patriots 13 36 34.0 2 0 1 34 34.0 34 1 11
    2005 New England Patriots 15 54 44.0 10 0 3 15 5.0 15 0 13
    2006 New England Patriots 15 64 59.0 5 0 10 120 12.0 33 0 14
    TOTAL
    59 188 167.0 21 0 16 224 14.0 55 2 43

Okay, now that I look closer, I think it's just the pasting which screwed up that last line.
    I was wondering how someone could have 12 picks and 0 return yards.

In any case, please stop comparing Samuel's situation to Winfield's.
    Antoine is specifically upset with the team's management, NOT his money.
    Samuel is on the perfect team, where the QB took less money to make sure that more was available for the rest of the players and he's still not fucking happy.
    AND he has his agent screaming loudly in the press for him while he blows off a FUNERAL (classy touch, that one).

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Samuel is on the perfect team, where the QB took less money to make sure that more was available for the rest of the players and he's still not fricken happy.
    AND he has his agent screaming loudly in the press for him while he blows off a FUNERAL (classy touch, that one).
    I like ESPN stats.
    They do screw up when you cut/paste.
    Can't help it.
    ;D

My only ref to money was that we could use some of our CAP on it.
    In no way did I ref Winfields issues.
    I just used the term "Disgruntled".
    Not sure how I confused
    you on that point.

Sure he is on the perfect team, however, Did the QB really take less money or did the team just restructure the contract and backload the bucks?

I am a huge proponent of character with respect to the make up of our team but at some point we will have to take risks on who/what makes up the roster.
    I think if you look at a few of our draft picks this year you will see the team did that.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Samuel is on the perfect team, where the QB took less money to make sure that more was available for the rest of the players and he's still not fricken happy.
    I like ESPN stats.
    They do screw up when you cut/paste.
    Can't help it.
    ;D
    Well - the NFL stats never screwup when you cut and paste.
    Step into the 21st century man!

My only ref to money was that we could use some of our CAP on it.
    In no way did I ref Winfields issues.
    I just used the term "Disgruntled".
    Not sure how I confused
    you on that point.
    I just don't like the comparison, no matter what words are used.
    Asante Samuel is one of these kids who is more concerned with himself and his money.

Winfield is frustrated because the TEAM isn't getting better, specifically on offense.

It's not a fair comparison to a classy pro like Antoine.

Sure he is on the perfect team, however, Did the QB really take less money or did the team just restructure the contract and backload the bucks?
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/peter_king/05/08/mmqb.brady/

So Tom Brady kept his word. He wasn't a pig at the trough during contract extension negotiations with the Patriots. He could have been, given he has won three Super Bowls by age 27. We all know Brady could have asked for anything and won the public relations battle with the team. Peyton Manning's making $14.2 million a year, with the Colts, and he signed that deal a year ago, Brady could have said. You guys are high if you think I'm doing a deal for $10 million a year -- especially after ESPN just raised the ante ridiculously with the new broadcast contract.

But Tom Brady gets it. He knows there have been only so many sporting Camelots in recent history, and he's smack-dab in the middle of one of them. Five days after this most recent Super Bowl triumph, Brady was vegging out in Honolulu on the deck outside his hotel room, talking on the phone about what he wanted from the contract extension destined to get done this offseason.

"To be the highest-paid, or anything like that, is not going to make me feel any better,' he told me. "That's not what makes me happy. In this game, the more one player gets, the more he takes away from what others can get. Is it going to make me feel any better to make an extra million, which, after taxes, is about $500,000? That million might be more important to the team.'

Read those words over again. I mean, how many guys in sports history, on the verge of signing the biggest contract they'll probably ever negotiate, have said to the team: "Hey Mr. Kraft! I really don't want that much money. Just be somewhat fair, OK? And have a nice day ..."?
    Read the rest of the article to see the specifics of the contract.
    This isn't like Manning restructuring for more money in the long-haul or whatever that was last year.
    This is one of the top-3 QBs in the league taking less money than he could have gotten if he'd been a dickhead like Asante Samuel.

I am a huge proponent of character with respect to the make up of our team but at some point we will have to take risks on who/what makes up the roster.
    I think if you look at a few of our draft picks this year you will see the team did that.
    Look at last year's draft!
    Ray Edwards had SERIOUS issues at Purdue which caused him to be benched his senior season.

I'm not necessarily a huge CHARACTER!!!! guy.
    When Randy Moss pushed the meter-maid out of the way, I defended him all over Northern VA, because he was my team's guy.
    But I DO want players who are more concerned with the team success than their own personal financial rewards.
    And, to me, the few quiet things Winfield has said when he's had a microphone shoved in his face say just that.

=Z=

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

So Tom Brady kept his word. He wasn't a pig at the trough during contract extension negotiations with the Patriots. He could have been, given he has won three Super Bowls by age 27. We all know Brady could have asked for anything and won the public relations battle with the team. Peyton Manning's making $14.2 million a year, with the Colts, and he signed that deal a year ago, Brady could have said. You guys are high if you think I'm doing a deal for $10 million a year -- especially after ESPN just raised the ante ridiculously with the new broadcast contract.

But Tom Brady gets it. He knows there have been only so many sporting Camelots in recent history, and he's smack-dab in the middle of one of them. Five days after this most recent Super Bowl triumph, Brady was vegging out in Honolulu on the deck outside his hotel room, talking on the phone about what he wanted from the contract extension destined to get done this offseason.

"To be the highest-paid, or anything like that, is not going to make me feel any better,' he told me. "That's not what makes me happy. In this game, the more one player gets, the more he takes away from what others can get. Is it going to make me feel any better to make an extra million, which, after taxes, is about $500,000? That million might be more important to the team.'

Read those words over again. I mean, how many guys in sports history, on the verge of signing the biggest contract they'll probably ever negotiate, have said to the team: "Hey Mr. Kraft! I really don't want that much money. Just be somewhat fair, OK? And have a nice day ..."?
    Good for him but keep in mind that he makes most of his money from endorsements. I saw on mike and mike in the morning they listed what athletes make what and what for. Brady was like #40 with 6 million in salary and 32 million in endorsements. So he is playing it smart because he knows that in order to continue to get the big endorsement money he has to keep winning, to keep winning he needs more talent, to get more talent they need more cap space. Walla randy moss, more prime time games, more media, bigger endorsements, more money. This only works for a few players like brady but I bet in the end he makes more than payton manning.

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    Good for him but keep in mind that he makes most of his money from endorsements. I saw on mike and mike in the morning they listed what athletes make what and what for. Brady was like #40 with 6 million in salary and 32 million in endorsements. So he is playing it smart because he knows that in order to continue to get the big endorsement money he has to keep winning, to keep winning he needs more talent, to get more talent they need more cap space. Walla randy moss, more prime time games, more media, bigger endorsements, more money. This only works for a few players like brady but I bet in the end he makes more than payton manning.
    Well, except that every other commercial on TV has Peyton Manning in it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/specials/fortunate50/2007/index.html

12. Peyton Manning
    Indianapolis Colts (NFL)
    Last Year's Rank: 18
    Salary:
    $10,000,000
    Endorsements:
    $13,000,000
    Total:
    $23,000,000
    Super Bowl MVP still clocks in as the highest-paid in the NFL and its top endorser -- and he's one of only five football players this year (all QBs).
    Tom Brady
    New England Patriots (NFL)
    Last Year's Rank: 12
    Salary:
    $6,006,720
    Endorsements:
    $9,000,000
    Total:
    $15,006,720
    Now that's a team guy: Brady agreed to forgo a $6 million option bonus so the Pats had the cap room to sign notorious malcontent Randy Moss.
    As you see from Fortune magazine's research, Brady does NOT earn $32million in endorsement money.

Only TWO athletes on the list top $30million in endorsement money, Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson.

=Z=

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"Zeus" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:

12. Peyton Manning
    Indianapolis Colts (NFL)
    Salary:
    $10,000,000
    Endorsements:
    $13,000,000
    Total:
    $23,000,000
    Super Bowl MVP still clocks in as the highest-paid in the NFL and its top endorser -- and he's one of only five football players this year (all QBs).
    Tom Brady
    Salary:
    $6,006,720
    Endorsements:
    $9,000,000
    Total:
    $15,006,720
    Now that's a team guy: Brady agreed to forgo a $6 million option bonus so the Pats had the cap room to sign notorious malcontent Randy Moss.
    As you see from Fortune magazine's research, Brady does NOT earn $32million in endorsement money.

Only TWO athletes on the list top $30million in endorsement money, Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson.

=Z=
    thanks for finding that link for me I guess my numbers were a bit off. Peyton Manning is making big bucks because he just one the superbowl, but with his huge salary and the huge salaries of his teammates it is unlikely they will stay on top forever, when his team finishes 6-10 he will no longer make the best money. If/When Tom Brady wins another superbowl he will become the highest paid player.

The point is that if you want the big money you have to win.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:

12. Peyton Manning
    Indianapolis Colts (NFL)
    Salary:
    $10,000,000
    Endorsements:
    $13,000,000
    Total:
    $23,000,000
    Tom Brady
    Salary:
    $6,006,720
    Endorsements:
    $9,000,000
    Total:
    $15,006,720

=Z=
    thanks for finding that link for me I guess my numbers were a bit off. Peyton Manning is making big bucks because he just one the superbowl, but with his huge salary and the huge salaries of his teammates it is unlikely they will stay on top forever, when his team finishes 6-10 he will no longer make the best money. If/When Tom Brady wins another superbowl he will become the highest paid player.

The point is that if you want the big money you have to win.
    Brady got ALL of his money...he just restructured HOW he gets it...so let's not talk about how he is SUCH a team guy so fast....he's getting his just like everyone else!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

"cajunvike" wrote:
    Brady got ALL of his money...he just restructured HOW he gets it...so let's not talk about how he is SUCH a team guy so fast....he's getting his just like everyone else!
    You've got no fucking idea what you're talking about, Cajun.

We're not talking about the bonus situation with Randy Moss (which, if you bothered to read upstream, you'd see).
    We're talking about the below-market extension that Brady signed in 2005.

=Z=

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast