Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

Re: Arrington a Giant

Well, I'm glad he's not a Packer!
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

Giants can now use their 1st round pick on a DT, thats a crazy D-line but we dont play them so why should we care. Well we might play them in the playoffs
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

CynicalVike is offline Starter

I'm really glad the Pack didn't get him. Imagine if they had gotten him and picked Hawk at #5. They'd have had probably the best LB corp in the league with Arrington, Barnett, and Hawk!! :shock:
    I used to be indecisive, now I m not so sure!

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

Arrington is allegedly going to need micro-fracture surgery at some point in the near-to-mid future.. If that's true then you can forget him playing Linebacker at a decent level.

Prophet Guest

POSTED 7:51 a.m. EDT; LAST UPDATED 8:54 a.m. EDT, April 23, 2006

ARRINGTON'S DEAL STINKS
    Mike Florio

Initially hyped as a seven-year, $49 million package with an $11 million signing bonus, the contract signed by linebacker LaVar Arrington with the New York Giants is, in actuality, a deal that averages $3.7 million per year.. If Arrington hits some basic incentives, the deal is worth $5 million annually. To hits the $7 million per year figure, Arrington needs to hit some pretty high performance triggers.

More importantly, the contract pays Arrington a signing bonus of only $5.25 million, less than half the figure that initially was leaked, presumably by his agents. (Maybe they'll now claim that the bonus was changed by the Giants from $11 million to $5.25 million in the final draft of the contract -- and that they failed to notice it because they read contracts roughly as carefully as Fran Foley reads his own bio.)

The practical consequence here is that, if the Giants conclude that they made a mistake, the cap hit will be manageable. Cutting him after June 1, 2007, for example, would result in a $1.05 million cap charge in 2007, and $3.15 million in dead money come 2008.

And the package pales in comparison to the contract signed by linebacker Julian Peterson with the Seahawks. Peterson got $18 million guaranteed as part of a seven-year, $54 million package.

We're also somewhat surprised that the truth on the Arrington deal got out so soon. Surely, Arrington's camp didn't cough up the real numbers. From the Giants' perspective, the typical approach by NFL teams is to let the player pretend he got a great deal -- without saying anything while the ink is still wet (and before the numbers are available via the NFLPA) as to what the player really will get.

LAVAR SHOULD SUE POSTONS FOR $4.4 MILLION

At the end of the day on the Arrington deal, we believe that the former Redskins star should ask his agents, Carl and Kevin Poston, to pay him $4.4 million. If they refuse, he should sue them for it.

Why? Because the Postons allowed Arrington to give up $4.4 million in earned bonus money in order to hit the open market in early March instead of July, when the Redskins would have cut him in order to avoid paying him a $6.5 million roster bonus.

In the end, however, Arrington got roughly the same deal in late April that he would have gotten in July. Or August. Or September.

Put simply, the Postons should have known what the market would bear for Arrington, and they should have advised him accordingly. Instead, they undoubtedly pumped his head up with ideas of how great he is and how much money he'd made, and we hear that they're now telling him that he'll make a lot of the lost jack back in endorsements.

But will he? This guy isn't Lawrence Taylor, and L.T. wasn't exactly a marketing superstar during his career.

Speaking of L.T., we initially wondered whether Arrington will pull a Jerry Rice and try to finagle Taylor's No. 56, the number that Arrington wore in D.C. According to the Giants' official site, however, it appears that LaVar will wear 55.

He should have asked to wear No. 44, as a constant reminder to himself -- and his agents -- of the money that never should have gotten away.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

That PFT article clarifies exactly what I was thinking. So this deal is no-way near the value of Peterson's and, in fact, has structured incentives to make Arrington work for the cash!

Oh well.. We're not facing him and he's over-rated. I mean, what has he done for anybody lately?

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

I'm never gonna hear the end of this in NJ.

He doesn't play for the Packers so its OK.
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

Formo is offline Team Alumni

Lol.. He SHOULD take the number 44..

That would be freakin' AWESOME!!! HAHAHA!!
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

Prophet Guest

KFFL
    Packers | Favre tried to talk Arrington into Green Bay
    Tue, 25 Apr 2006 07:47:57 -0700

Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports Green Bay Packers QB Brett Favre tried to talk LB LaVar Arrington into signing with the Packers, according to a Washington Times report. Arrington told the newspaper that Favre nearly swayed him to accept an offer from Green Bay that was thought to be for more money than what the New York Giants offered. One of Arrington's agents, Kevin Poston, confirmed that Arrington didn't take the best offer on the table, telling the Newark Star-Ledger that one of the teams offered slightly more, although he declined to name the team. Packers' general manager Ted Thompson said he had no knowledge of Favre playing a role in recruiting Arrington.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123