Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Another blackout looms for cheering Packer fans

[size=13pt]Another blackout looms for cheering Packer fans[/size]

Phil Pfuehler River Falls Journal
    Published Wednesday, October 31, 2007

....The only trouble for pumped-up Packer fans in River Falls and western Wisconsin is they don’t get to see their hometown team very often. River Falls area viewers again face another Packer blackout Sunday at noon in the game against the Kansas City Chiefs.

Local viewers will be stuck watching the out-of-state, hapless Minnesota Vikings in their noon game against the San Diego Chargers.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

deadzone50 is offline Rookie

Re: Another blackout looms for cheering Packer fans

Unlike a Vikings blackout at least these Packer fans can go to the bar and watch their team.

Quote: Packer fans can ignore the televised Viking games and go to local bars and restaurants that have a Direct Satellite NFL package. Those places make sure all Packer games are televised.

"deadzone50" wrote:
    Unlike a Vikings blackout at least these Packer fans can go to the bar and watch their team.

Quote: Packer fans can ignore the televised Viking games and go to local bars and restaurants that have a Direct Satellite NFL package. Those places make sure all Packer games are televised.
    Not true unless they are outside the blackout area. The same rules apply across the NFL.

They are talking about the River Falls area, which is not in the Green Bay area. Therefore bars outside the blackout area can televise the games & anyone with a satellite package outside the blackout area can also.

The same is true in Minnesota. Anyone in Minnesota outside the blackout area with a satellite package can watch the game, bars included.

NFL blackout policy
    See also: NFL on television#Blackout_policies
    In the NFL, any broadcaster that has a signal that hits any area within a 75-mile (120 km) radius of an NFL stadium may only broadcast a game if that game is a road game, or if the game sells-out 72 hours or more before the start time for the game.[6]

A regular-season, Sunday afternoon home team game will be blacked out in a home team's territory if the game fails to sell out at least 72 hours before the game. If it is blacked out on your local broadcast station, it will also be blacked out in your area on NFL SUNDAY TICKET.

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

"singersp" wrote:

Local viewers will be stuck watching the out-of-state, hapless Minnesota Vikings in their noon game against the San Diego Chargers.
    That is just pure torture... to think that we live in this an amazing country yet acts of cruelty continue yet these days.
    ;D

Sunday ticket Baby.. Sunday Ticket.

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

"singersp" wrote:
    "deadzone50" wrote:

Not true unless they are outside the blackout area. The same rules apply across the NFL.

They are talking about the River Falls area, which is not in the Green Bay area. Therefore bars outside the blackout area can televise the games & anyone with a satellite package outside the blackout area can also.

The same is true in Minnesota. Anyone in Minnesota outside the blackout area with a satellite package can watch the game, bars included.

NFL blackout policy
    In the NFL, any broadcaster that has a signal that hits any area within a 75-mile (120 km) radius of an NFL stadium may only broadcast a game if that game is a road game, or if the game sells-out 72 hours or more before the start time for the game.[6]

A regular-season, Sunday afternoon home team game will be blacked out in a home team's territory if the game fails to sell out at least 72 hours before the game. If it is blacked out on your local broadcast station, it will also be blacked out in your area on NFL SUNDAY TICKET.

Like always Sing, nice read.
    I may be wrong, but I believe you are missing the point to the article.
    River Falls is in the Twin Cities market.
    Therefore, that is the Vikings home market.
    Since the Vikings are not blacked out that is in essence blacking out the Packers game in River Falls and Western Wisconsin.
    If the Vikings were blacked out then all of those markets would be able to watch the Packers Sunday.

"vikingivan" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "deadzone50" wrote:

NFL blackout policy

Since the Vikings are not blacked out that is in essence blacking out the Packers game in River Falls and Western Wisconsin.
    If the Vikings were blacked out then all of those markets would be able to watch the Packers Sunday.
    I still don't know if that's true...

If blacked out, the broadcaster will air other programming instead. If it is a cable channel, like ESPN, the channel's signal will be blocked from the area.

In a similar rule, to gather more ratings for a home team's game, the channels that do not have the rights to the home team's game cannot show another game at the same time, even if the home team's game is blacked out, unless the network that was supposed to show the home game "trades" time-slots.

If it's a cable channel, the entire signal will be blocked within the market. That would include Direct TV wouldn't it?

Does that mean if a non-cable station does have the rights to broadcast a game & it is blacked out, it can show another game in the same time slot?

The way I interpret it, is if the Vikings game is blackedout, the entire 75 mile radius is blocked for cable channels & that would include River Falls.

If it is not blacked out, the market would televise the Vikings games & the Packer fans within the 75 mile radius would be able to watch the game on Ditrct TV.

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

"singersp" wrote:
    "vikingivan" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "deadzone50" wrote:

NFL blackout policy

I still don't know if that's true...

If blacked out, the broadcaster will air other programming instead. If it is a cable channel, like ESPN, the channel's signal will be blocked from the area.

In a similar rule, to gather more ratings for a home team's game, the channels that do not have the rights to the home team's game cannot show another game at the same time, even if the home team's game is blacked out, unless the network that was supposed to show the home game "trades" time-slots.

If it's a cable channel, the entire signal will be blocked within the market. That would include Direct TV wouldn't it?

Does that mean if a non-cable station does have the rights to broadcast a game & it is blacked out, it can show another game in the same time slot?

The way I interpret it, is if the Vikings game is blackedout, the entire 75 mile radius is blocked for cable channels & that would include River Falls.

If it is not blacked out, the market would televise the Vikings games & the Packer fans within the 75 mile radius would be able to watch the game on Ditrct TV.
    The way I read it was that since the game is on a different network, the Vikings can choose to black it out during the telecast of their game in their market.
    But, the article also did state that they would be able to get the game on Direct tv.
    Who knows, maybe I will see you at the game tomorrow.
    Have a good one.

Metrodump is offline Starter

Da cheeseheads be selling out games for ever, yet we relish the the notion that due to some aleged
    qweer idiocincracy be blocking folks in river falls, while the facts is it takes an well funded company here to buy the remaining few thousand tixs so the Vikes can be seen localy here in da cities on tv.

Da thread kind of be implyin' dat the cheeseheads be fair weatherin things, when awl da while the real probs with blackouts be happen right here. Admitadly howeva, I gots to work AGAIN dis weekebd, so I cants attend da chargaz game, but seriously lez be real about BLACKOUTS

"Metrodump" wrote:
    Da cheeseheads be selling out games for ever, yet we relish the the notion that due to some aleged
    qweer idiocincracy be blocking folks in river falls, while the facts is it takes an well funded company here to buy the remaining few thousand tixs so the Vikes can be seen localy here in da cities on tv.

Da thread kind of be implyin' dat the cheeseheads be fair weatherin things, when awl da while the real probs with blackouts be happen right here. Admitadly howeva, I gots to work AGAIN dis weekebd, so I cants attend da chargaz game, but seriously lez be real about BLACKOUTS

WCCO bought around 700 tickets, not a few thousand.

Metrodump is offline Starter

I stand corrected. My bad on a metro of 3 million not snagging a few hundred tix, when I thought it be a few thousand.

Thanks for setting it straight. My bad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast