Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Analysis of Wide Receivers taken in the first roun

For close to two months we have been analyzing the results of the draft picks made the past decade by all NFL teams in the first round by position. What if we told you to reread Rule #3 before guessing how the Wide Receivers did? Rule #3: WRs are a dime a dozen. Do not waste resources here; pick one up when you are close to the prize. They are always available.

Exhibit A. Randy Moss for a 4th rounder. (Yes, we know.. Al Davis should be institutionalized.)

Exhibit B. Santonio Holmes for a 5th rounder.

If these divas are not getting kicked out (Terrell Owens), they are busy making themselves miserable enough to get traded (Braylon Edwards, Brandon Marshall). It's a parade of players going from one team to the next. Now if this was not a good enough reason to stay away from these psychotic thoroughbreds, here is one more...

THEY BUST!
    Analysis of Wide Receivers taken in the first round of the NFL Draft 2000-2009
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Analysis of Wide Receivers taken in the first roun

Interesting way to break down the picks. I have always been against taking skill positions (WR or RB) in the first round as it seems as though they have a greater chance of busting. The later round players are good enough to play.

Sure the true gems are rare, but an interesting way to look at it would be to break down the rosters now and see who has first rounders in the WR spot and see how successful they are. Just thinking off the top of my head with the best passing offences: Pats (Moss, but didn't draft him), Colts (Wayne #30), Texans (Johnson), Saints (none), Vikings (Harvin is the #2/3), Arizona (Fitz).

But then you go and look at the list, and the amount of guys that actually turned into a true #1 WR is rare. Just over a handful (Burress, S. Moss, Wayne, Andre Johnson, Fitz, Calvin Johnson).
    We're bringing purple back.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

gregair13 wrote:
    Interesting way to break down the picks. I have always been against taking skill positions (WR or RB) in the first round as it seems as though they have a greater chance of busting. The later round players are good enough to play.

Sure the true gems are rare, but an interesting way to look at it would be to break down the rosters now and see who has first rounders in the WR spot and see how successful they are. Just thinking off the top of my head with the best passing offences: Pats (Moss, but didn't draft him), Colts (Wayne #30), Texans (Johnson), Saints (none), Vikings (Harvin is the #2/3), Arizona (Fitz).

But then you go and look at the list, and the amount of guys that actually turned into a true #1 WR is rare. Just over a handful (Burress, S. Moss, Wayne, Andre Johnson, Fitz, Calvin Johnson).

So you were against us taking A.P & Harvin in the 1st round? hmy:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you would have a hard time selling that to most Viking fans.

Harvin may be a 2 or 3 but he is explosive and who really cares what number wide receiver he is he is a weapon and you need to have weapons.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

gregair13 wrote:

I pretty much agree.

If I'd be drafting, I'd pretty much take WR off the board between pick 10 and 30.

You have the really special players like Fitzgerald, C. Johnson, A. Johnson in that top 10, then go to the good players from big schools in the rest of the 1st and then end up with the high potential guys, often from smaller schools, after that.

Now, there are some exceptons of WRs who look like they might develop quite nicely. Kenny Britt and Hakeem Nicks look like good picks, but overall, I'd look somewhere else in that range. For every Britt, there appear to be 4 players like Greg Jennings, Steve Smith, Steve Smith and Andre Roberts (watch him).

Of course there are exceptions, like Percy, who fell due to character issues and is more of a weapon than a pure receiver. Or Bryant who's a total idiot.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

gregair13 wrote:
    Interesting way to break down the picks. I have always been against taking skill positions (WR or RB) in the first round as it seems as though they have a greater chance of busting.
    I agree in a way, but not entirely.

My issue with skill players like WR and RB int he first is not the chance of busting, its taht normally you can get equally talented players later on.

Unless there's an absolute talent you can't miss (Peterson, I was hoping for Deangelo WIlliams a few years back, etc) GUys like that (Reggie is not one) who most people can tell are going to be great players, and not just flashy gadget players like Reggie Bush, I"m fine with.

When teams int he mid-late roudn draft RB's in the first round, I can't help but chuckle usually. Guys like Addai are not first round quality. You can often guy guys in the mid-rounds who are capable of that kind of play.

Receivers are a little bit different, as IMO its harder to be a mediocre receiver than it is to be a mediocre RB. The dropoff from good to bad receiver is much greater than that of runningbac, so I am glad to take a shot if someone is there. I liked Percy, since he only dropped due to character issues, not lack of talent.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

gregair13 wrote:
    Interesting way to break down the picks. I have always been against taking skill positions (WR or RB) in the first round as it seems as though they have a greater chance of busting.
    I agree in a way, but not entirely.

My issue with skill players like WR and RB int he first is not the chance of busting, its taht normally you can get equally talented players later on.

Unless there's an absolute talent you can't miss (Peterson, I was hoping for Deangelo WIlliams a few years back, etc) GUys like that (Reggie is not one) who most people can tell are going to be great players, and not just flashy gadget players like Reggie Bush, I"m fine with.

When teams int he mid-late roudn draft RB's in the first round, I can't help but chuckle usually. Guys like Addai are not first round quality. You can often guy guys in the mid-rounds who are capable of that kind of play.

Receivers are a little bit different, as IMO its harder to be a mediocre receiver than it is to be a mediocre RB. The dropoff from good to bad receiver is much greater than that of runningbac, so I am glad to take a shot if someone is there. I liked Percy, since he only dropped due to character issues, not lack of talent.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Re:Analysis of Wide Receivers taken in the first roun

Marrdro wrote:
    For close to two months we have been analyzing the results of the draft picks made the past decade by all NFL teams in the first round by position. What if we told you to reread Rule #3 before guessing how the Wide Receivers did? Rule #3: WRs are a dime a dozen. Do not waste resources here; pick one up when you are close to the prize. They are always available.

Exhibit A. Randy Moss for a 4th rounder. (Yes, we know.. Al Davis should be institutionalized.)

Exhibit B. Santonio Holmes for a 5th rounder.

If these divas are not getting kicked out (Terrell Owens), they are busy making themselves miserable enough to get traded (Braylon Edwards, Brandon Marshall). It's a parade of players going from one team to the next. Now if this was not a good enough reason to stay away from these psychotic thoroughbreds, here is one more...

THEY BUST!
    Analysis of Wide Receivers taken in the first round of the NFL Draft 2000-2009
    I thought it was interesting to see how many 1st rounders went bust...but it also should be noted that of the top 20 receivers this past season, 7 of them were 1st rounders.

1 Andre Johnson 1
    2 Wes Welker UN
    3 Miles Austin UN
    4 Sidney Rice 2
    5 Randy Moss 1
    5 Reggie Wayne 1
    7 Santonio Holmes 1
    8 Steve Smith 3
    9 Vincent Jackson 2
    9 Hines Ward 3
    11 Antonio Gates UN
    12 DeSean Jackson 2
    13 Roddy White 1
    14 Brandon Marshall 4
    15 Greg Jennings 2
    16 Dallas Clark 1
    17 Larry Fitzgerald 1
    18 Marques Colston 7
    19 Donald Driver 7
    20 Chad Ochocinco 2

AS you can see, most of the top performers came from the 1st round. But there are also 3 undrafted guys on that list, as well as several 7th rounders.

What ISN'T taken into account is what team they are on. After all, when you wind up in Indy or New England, you KNOW you're going to get a chance at the ball...in Baltimore or Oaklnad? Not so much.

So, to be complete, you'd have to look at the QB too - as great QB's make receivers more successful (As evidenced by Sydney Rice's first appearance on this list at #4)

However, that doesn't excuse the fact that there are a great many 1st round WR busts...much like QB's. But, the premier talent seems to reside MOSTLY in the 1st round...so you have to ask yourself, can you really afford NOT to take the shot?

Caine

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Re:Analysis of Wide Receivers taken in the first roun

Rule #3: WRs are a dime a dozen.
    If you have a HOF QB, wr's are a dime a dozen.