Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PurpleMafia is offline Coordinator

Am I The Only One That Thinks Dr.Z is a Complete Joke?

Alright, this time hes struck a nerve with me. Not only are his columns and rankings bogus, this time hes targeting John Madden? This guy is a complete jack@ss and should be banned from ever typing another comment about football again. From now on, its Peter King or back to ESPN!

Heres the mailbag for this week...

Dr.Z....targeting Madden among others

alright, rant over

thanks,
    PurpleMafia (Dave)
    Retired 12/21/08

SamDawg84 Guest

Re: Am I The Only One That Thinks Dr.Z is a Complete Joke?

ok who are u talking about? i have never heard of doctor z

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Can somebody post the article please. Thanks.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Whatever I agree with him. I hate it when they bring in some loser from an ABC TV show and interview them in the booth while the game is going on.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

I could not agree with you more. Dr. Z is a joke. I have been "following" him for several years now, in SI, and he almost always picks against the Vikings. I hate the convoluted logic of his picks too. He is constantly going off on tangents that only he and his wife understand. He is just ridiculous.

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

OK, so I haven't watched the whole movie, Four Minutes, yet. I'll catch the rest of it later ... it's on the tape. But I got home just in time to see the ending, to make sure that Roger Bannister really did clock in at 3:59.4 and ESPN didn't manage to screw that up, too.

Do you like to watch a drama, accompanied by a never-ending crawl along the bottom of the screen? "Roger, it's raining ... maybe you'd better not run today." Randy McMichael signs a four-year contract with the Dolphins. Really makes it alive for you, doesn't it?

And then, of course, there was the matter of the stopwatches. All timers in the film hit the button with their thumb. A big gaffe. Take it from one who used to be a timer:you hit it with your index finger. Everyone knows that, except the people who put this film together.

"Only you ... only you would find something like that to bitch about," says the Flaming Redhead. That's right ... only you (Wasn't that a song?), I mean only me. Why is it so hard to get things right? OK, free me, please, from the land of high art, and return me to the people with whom I belong. My e-mailers. Deep breath, and away we go.

Let's get this E-mailer of the Week thing out of the way first. Step up, Rick of Louisville, Colo., and provide the lady in the uniform with your last name, and you'll collect your prize. Rick deplores the practice of TV announcers conducting interviews, or sometimes just conversation, over live action, often neglecting to describe the latter. He wants to do something about it. He wants me to do something about it. He has mobilized a squadron to invade the various venues and make sure this practice is stopped, and as soon as the quartermaster is able to outfit that stout chap asleep over there, we'll swing our group into action.

Rick, my friend, I keep writing it, and people like Al Michaels and John Madden of ABC just keep getting worse and worse. But I've swung one announcer over to our side. No kidding. Brent Jones, the former Niners' tight end. Doing the Jets-Jaguars game, he reminded his colleague, Gus Johnson, to hush up while the play was going on "because my friends in the media will get on us if we talk over live action." It's an approximate quote because I was so stunned that I couldn't gather myself together to record it word for word.

Yeah, I know, it was said with a sneer, and I might even have been the person he was aiming at, but gosh, he actually did respect the sanctity of the action on the field. Brent, old buddy, if you're within the sound of my voice, please let it be known that your action was deeply appreciated, never mind the tone in which it was said. I will not -- repeat not -- forget this when it comes time to do my end of season announcers' ratings column.

Dan of St. Paul wants to know why the Raiders wouldn't be interested in 49er LB Jamie Winborn, the guy who got such ugly treatment by his club. Because when something as freaky as this happens, teams tend to do a complete check up before they commit themselves. If nothing scary is found, then they make their move, which is what I'm sure will happen with Winborn. Yes, the Raiders would be a good fit.

I wrote that the Cardinals' Anquan Boldin's career average of 6.1 catches per game is the highest in history, and then I made the mistake of asking if anyone knew of anything better. Right on cue, Phillip of Leesburg, Va., checks in with Marvin Harrison's 6.076 and then compounds the felony by making a case for Harrison as a superior receiver than Boldin. Dear Leesburg. I believe 6.1, that's 6.1 even, with no ugly decimal points clouding the issue, is greater than 6.076. And no one asked for any value judgments. We're talking numbers and that's all. Numbers are peaceful little creatures. They work hard, come home to their wives at night, eat a nourishing meal and go to sleep. Don't ask them to carry on any arguments for you.

South of the Border Condiment Tray
    Save on glassware at Target. Find a stylish collection of drinkware sets, wine glasses,...
    www.target.com

South of the Borders at Shopping.com
    Find, compare and buy products in categories ranging from GPS devices to home...
    www.shopping.com

Herb Alpert's South of the Border
    1964???s South Of The Border peaked at numer on the Billboard charts, and showed...
    www.shoutfactory.com

South of the Border on eBay
    Find south of the border items at low prices. With over 5 million items for sale every...
    www.ebay.com

Pondering from Tijuana -- no, I'm not currently doing any deep thinking south of the border -- "Pondering" is how our e-mailer signs in. Anyway he wants to try to assign LaDainian Tomlinson an eventual place in history, if he keeps going at his current pace. I seem to remember a piece I did a year or two ago, rating the great runners of all time, and I placed him in the top 10, I believe, or at least in the top 20. It was unusual for someone this young, but I feel that he's the best of the current vintage. He does it all, and barring serious injury, knock wood, he'll be a first ballot shoo-in for Canton. Thanks for your nice sentiments, incidentally.

From Joe of Bridgeport, W.Va. -- "Am I the only one who thinks that Shaun Alexander of the Seahawks is a bit of a 'soft' runner?" No. Just about every defensive coach I talked to agrees with you. Piles up his yardage on one or two big gainers per game.

Tim of Rockville Center, N.Y., says the Chiefs failed to cover T.O. because they were locked in on Brian Westbrook. Nowhere did I see a sign posted saying both players couldn't be covered. And besides, you've got to worry more about a home run hitter than a guy who threatens to get on base with a single or a double.

Nice words from Vincent of Monsey, N.Y. Thank you. I appreciate it. Two questions today. First, even a team that constantly exerts defensive pressure has to mix things up, right? Right. Change your pressure packages, but not the concept of steady pressure itself. Two, a matter of usage. He hates it when "contain" is used as a noun, as in, "The defense has to keep contain on the QB." Yeah, it's ugly, but it goes under the heading of colloquial football talk. (Besides, I hear "keep containment" more often). This kind of talk is often permitted. I mean people say "three time outs left," rather than the grammatically correct, "three times out." The stuff I hate is botched usage based only on ignorance, such as "We played good," or "There's lots of ways." Linda liked your last line, "Hola to the Redhead." Her reply is, "Mahaloaloha sweet leilani."

Whew, a long joke that he swears is a true story from Jason of Chesapeake, Va. I warn you, I hate long jokes (are you listening, Peter King?) unless they are screamingly funny either during the narrative or upon delivery of the punch line. I'll repeat your joke in capsule form, Jason, only because: 1) you said nice things, and 2) you say you've written many times and never gotten through. All passengers are requested to fasten seat belts at this time because here it comes: Lady in the barber shop told him she was bitten by a monkey. He told her to call the zoo and ask to speak to someone who deals with primates. "No," she said, "I didn't get bit by a primate, I got bit by a monkey." And that's it. Jason, it's only a suggestion, but if this were my joke, I'd work on some play on words involving the lady saying, "I didn't get bit in the primates," or something to that effect. Either way, I do not consider this story hilarious, but my wife does and she wants you to know this.
    Joe of Ash Grove, Mo., sets the record straight right away. He's not a wine drinker but he's a frustrated Chiefs fan. Fair enough. Now we know where we stand. He's upset about the lack of coverage afforded T.O. He wants to know if they could have assigned him a personal bodyguard all over the field, such as Patrick Surtain. It's been done. The Redskins' Darrell Green usually had the assignment of MDR (Most Dangerous Receiver) anywhere he went. But Darrell was a Hall of Famer, and Surtain is on the downside of his career. Owens is too physical. He'd wear out a smaller corner. Nah, you're better off trying to disrupt his pattern early, then have a DB pick him up afterward.

Keith of Columbia, Md., wants to know what's right about the Redskins' offense that was wrong last year. Well, after three games the 2005 Skins have gained exactly 24 more yards, total offense, than the '04 Skins did. But last year's vintage had scored five more points. Defensive numbers are much better this year, though. Apart from the fact that Mark Brunell is playing better now, the (1-2) Skins had nine turnovers, while this 3-0 team has six. All three opening games, both years, have been close. Haven't tasted much Maryland wine lately. Sorry.

LaDainian Tomlinson Jersey
    Shop here for your LaDainian Tomlinson jersey. Low prices and fast shipping. Get your...
    www.footballfanatics.com

Target.com: Ladainian Tomlinson Photo
    Shop online and save 10% - 20%. Treat yourself to great savings at Target.
    www.target.com

Buy LaDainian Tomlinson NFL Jerseys
    Buy Reebok youth & adult-sized LaDainian Tomlinson San Diego Chargers NFL replica...
    www.allprofootballjerseys.com

Ladainian Tomlinson NFL Jerseys
    Find LaDainian Tomlinson NFL jerseys at FansEdge. A vast selection of jerseys and...
    www.fansedge.com

This guy won't give up. Louie of Salem, Mass., insists that the Jets ought to trade for Brett Favre. Well, Louie, you can insist in one hand and you know what in the other and ... ah, forget it. It's an old army saying, anyway. Favre is on the downside. Big paycheck. Too soon to give up on Chad Pennington. And about 50 other reasons why this would make absolutely no sense, but I have the feeling that you know this already, and have found some exotic way to threaten Andrew so that he keeps pumping these nonsense letters into my mailbag.

Scot of Arvada, Colo., wonders why defenses don't blitz teams that are backed up on their one-yard line and force a safety. Some will. Buddy Ryan for sure. Tom Landry liked to blitz down there. Others are more cautious, afraid someone will break a big one, etc. They play the percentages, figuring the enemy offense will be conservative, thus easily stoppable, and you'll get the ball back in just dandy field position. And here's one for you, When they're adding up turnovers, why don't they count a safety as one of them?

Thanks to Jon of New York City for some friendly words. He grew up as a Niners fan in New York. I can almost match that. We're both from New York, but I grew up a Cleveland Browns fan, and switched to the Niners when I went to Stanford. He's looking for a good fit for Jamie Winborn, previously mentioned. If there's not some flaw that only insiders know about, then I could see him fitting in very well with the Raiders, as I said before, but especially with the Giants. Jon requests tips on Riojas. How about if I mention one really exotic one. Marques de Murrieta Ygay Selection, red or white, Ygay being a wine they make only in exceptional years. It's expensive but it's terrific.

Very nice sentiments from T.B. of Flagstaff, Ariz., who sees in Favre's closing heroics "the sweet sadness of all that goes by." You don't mind if I took a bit out of context, do you, T.B.?

Another finely wrought message from Steve, formerly of NYC but now riding the waves in San Diego. Regarding the desire to analyze. It should be, I believe, the primary job of the chronicler, trying to solve the puzzle and make sense out of the thrashing maelstrom and present it in somewhat coherent fashion. Many TV announcers could do this if, 1) they weren't afraid of aggravating people by their frankness, and 2) they weren't constantly hammered by the voices in their headset to plug, plug, plug, promote, promote, promote, until after a while what you're listening to is just one big PR job.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

Madden is a tool, so's Dr. Z.

Maybe we can get them to have a boxing match for charity and we'll be lucky enough that they'll beat each other into retirement.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

Articnv is offline Coach

i agree with dr z Madens stupoid coments and he inteeviews during plays is just stupid and distracting to the game.

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

"JDogg926" wrote:
    Madden is a tool, so's Dr. Z.

Maybe we can get them to have a boxing match for charity and we'll be lucky enough that they'll beat each other into retirement.
    I'm not trying to be funny. But what does that mean a 'TOOL'. I've seen people say that before she or he is a tool? Does that mean they are stupid like a TOOL? Or does it mean they are being used and don't know it? Or is it more of a hip word like RAD was in the 80's? Just wondering???? :?:

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Tool,

I believe and always thought that it meant, Being a Penis......

Our in laymens turms, a Dick Head......

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast