Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Alstott goes on IR with neck injury

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/08/09/bc.fbn.bucs.alstott.ap/index.html

[size=12pt]Alstott goes on IR with neck injury[/size]
    Bucs fullback out for season, career could be over
    Posted: Thursday August 9, 2007 3:11PM; Updated: Thursday August 9, 2007 3:11PM

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- Mike Alstott's season, and perhaps his career, is over.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Thursday placed the six-time Pro Bowl fullback on injured reserve with a neck problem that Alstott said was not related to a career-threatening injury that required surgery in 2003.

"It is what it is. The facts are the facts," the 33-year-old said during an emotional press conference at the team's headquarters. "I can't put on the helmet and jersey this year."

But Alstott, arguably the most popular player in team history, couldn't bring himself to say that he may have played his last game. He shrugged off several retirement-related questions, saying that's something that will be answered in time.

The team's second all-time leading rusher with 5,088 yards had been preparing for his 12th season, but became concerned when soreness in his neck persisted as training camp progressed at Disney World.

Tests performed by team doctors revealed a new problem, and the decision to place him on IR was made after Alstott consulted with his personal surgeon, who operated on the fullback during the 2003 season.
    =Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Alstott goes on IR with neck injury

Dang Touchdown Vulture...Warrick Dunn probably put the hex on him...LOL
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

MetalMike-LoudVike is offline Hall of Famer

Real big bummer in Tampa I am sure.
    IN THE PITS ON THE RIVER BEDS EVRY VIKING FAN WILL RISE & VAHALLA SHALL REJOICE WITH THE MOST GLORIOUS PRIZE LOMBARDI'S TROPHY

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

He was done anyway.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

So it looks like Richardson can get the nod for the NFC Fullback when the probowl comes around.
    I'm sick of seeing alstott in Hawaii.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Even though he plays for the enemy, I have alot of respect for the way he plays football. Very hard nosed and usually doing the dirty work. Hopefully it doesn't hamper him as he ages.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Even though he plays for the enemy, I have alot of respect for the way he plays football. Very hard nosed and usually doing the dirty work. Hopefully it doesn't hamper him as he ages.

I'll agree with the first part of your post Uff,
    but the only thing thats hampered with his age is just that, his age, it wouldn't have suprised me at all if he retired this season, or last for that part.....He has gone down hill the past couple of seasons, not trying to take away from his play for sure, because he was a hell of a fullback for many years..

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

i agree. he was a tough s.o.b. for a lot of years. the kind of player i wish everyone in the nfl played like.

does this mean ditka will be representing him now?
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"NordicNed" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

I'll agree with the first part of your post Uff,
    but the only thing thats hampered with his age is just that, his age, it wouldn't have suprised me at all if he retired this season, or last for that part.....He has gone down hill the past couple of seasons, not trying to take away from his play for sure, because he was a hell of a fullback for many years..
    Sorry I was a little vague, I meant that I hope it doesn't become one of those injuries where it causes him problems after his playing days are over. Like having a sore neck every day you get out of bed for the rest of your life and not being able to do certain things because of the damage done. As far as his career, at 33 he is pretty much done as a physical fullback so I agree with you completely with that point.