singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Agent: Seau, Frerotte in limbo

[size=18px]Agent: Seau, Frerotte in limbo[/size]

Salary cap, restructured contracts cited

By Alex Marvez
    South Florida Sun-Sentinel
    Posted February 22 2006

The Dolphins appear ready to part ways with future Hall of Fame linebacker Junior Seau and may do the same with quarterback Gus Frerotte if a restructured contract can't be agreed upon.

That was the sentiment Tuesday from agent Marvin Demoff, who represents both.

"We've had discussions with Gus, but not much has been resolved," Demoff said. "With Junior, there have been no discussions. We're assuming that each party believes they are better off separating from the other."

Coach Nick Saban has said he will not comment on free-agent plans. But the Dolphins are expected to release players or try restructuring contracts to create room under the NFL's salary cap before the free-agent signing period starts March 3.

Seau counts $2.92 million against the 2006 cap, while Frerotte stands at $4.68 million because of incentives he reached last season.

Seau, 37, has ended the past two seasons on injured reserve, but he was one of the team's most productive defensive players in 2005 when healthy.

"I think he wants to play one more year," Demoff said.

As for Frerotte, it's believed the Dolphins want him to accept a significant pay cut from the $4.43 million he is to earn. The extra cap space would allow room to pursue another quarterback.

A source said the Dolphins are expected to show strong interest should Drew Brees not re-sign with San Diego.

The Dolphins don't appear to have nearly as strong an attraction to Minnesota quarterback Daunte Culpepper, who is reportedly being shopped.

Two sources said the Dolphins have character concerns about Culpepper, who is facing a misdemeanor charge of lewd and indecent behavior stemming from a party on a charter boat last October in the Minneapolis area. Culpepper also is still recovering from a serious knee injury and would require draft-pick compensation to acquire unless released by the Vikings.

Brees is coming off a shoulder injury that has placed his future with the Chargers in doubt.

Because he had offseason surgery for a torn right labrum, the Chargers are reportedly offering Brees a contract that has a sizable amount of money tied to incentive clauses to protect the team in case he struggles in his recovery efforts.

That deal was unacceptable to Brees, who enjoyed a second consecutive standout season with the Chargers in 2005.

The Chargers, who have 2004 first-round draft choice Philip Rivers waiting in the wings, are unwilling to place a franchise or transition tag on Brees because that would require guaranteeing a salary of almost $10 million.

"We've had a proposal that has been rejected," General Manager A.J. Smith said Monday in a news conference. "We'll continue to talk. How long that goes, to what point in time, I just can't tell you right now because I just know that we're talking. But we're pretty firm in what we believe and how we do things."

If unable to land an established starter and an agreement can be reached with Frerotte on a restructured contract, a source said the Dolphins may pursue Arizona quarterback Josh McCown.

Under that scenario, the 26-year-old McCown would compete with Frerotte for a starting spot.

Although the Cardinals recently re-signed quarterback Kurt Warner, nine of Arizona's 11 wins the past two seasons have come with McCown as the starter.

Alex Marvez can be reached at [email protected]

Seau & Frerotte

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Agent: Seau, Frerotte in limbo

Frerotte,

Was one player that I was sad to see go. I thought he was a solid back up. I still think he could even start for some teams if put in the right type of system for him....Hell, I wish the Vikes would bring him back in some ways..

Seau, he's getting to old and has for sure lost a step or two..He would be going into his 17th year as a pro....God time flys.

He sure could play at one time though.........

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Agent: Seau, Frerotte in limbo

both too old. no thanks. but i do hope they find homes and get to play their last year
    We're bringing purple back.