Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: 6 NFL teams chosen for regular season game in Europe

I know this has been discussed at length before but for those that are in any doubt this is all about money and spreading the NFL into markets outside of the US. We've seen the start of this season when the NFL introduced online streaming for games for non-US based people and at $25 a game then many may have considered that a bargain price to be able to see their team in every regular season game.
    At the moment this is an experiment for, I think,
    4 or 5 years to see how it goes. After that period then the owners will look again to see whether it should be continued. I'm not sure what is happening in terms of revenue for the games, obviously the NFL will take a percentage along with the organiser within the country but I'm assuming that the 'home' team will then get an amount that will be similar to that which they would have expected if the game was in their own stadium.
    As its a new thing being tried out then don't expect the current 'top' teams (those who are in a period to be able to reach the Superbowl)to be selected as the home team. I think that you will see the smaller market teams used whilst it is in the trial stage, so teams such as Buffalo, Miami etc will be the ones to give up homefield advantage. Can't see the NFL being able to handle the problems if someone such as Indy, NO, Dallas ended up missing out on the playoffs by one game and using the overseas game as the reason for that. That would be too political and potentially kill the golden goose of the overseas market, which the NFL won't like.

Yes there is NFL Europa here - the name was changed from NFL Europe last November - but that is always going to be looked on a training and developmental league and one which is not profitable. Bear in mind that the league is having to put money into it in order to keep it going, it's not totally self-financing. The only thing that would work, from a fan view is the real deal which means regular season games, any games staged will be a sell-out without a doubt. I know from the NFLUK boards that any game here will be attended by fans of all teams as it an opportunity to see a game in real-life - and that is what the NFL is relying on for all their overseas games. If they have the Jags as home team in the UK then they wouldn't fill the endzone with Jags supporters but they know that the rest of the stadium will be filled with NFL fans of other teams. So in a way its almost a financial given.

The bye week issue has been mentioned before so I'd expect that teams would have a bye week after the game. This may also mean that the games involved will be interconference games as I can't see owners wanting to lose homefield advantage for any divisional games or interconference matches which may affect tie breakers at season end. Also this would mean that the teams overseas are 'shared' by the AFC & NFC and doesn't fall on one conference.

From a personal point of view I'd love it if the Vikes were the 'away' team but I know that getting tickets for the game will be very very hard indeed. How ironic would that be to have a game only hundreds of miles away instead of thousands and yet harder to get tickets.. lol

From a Vikes fan/ NFL fan perspective - the idea of regular season games outside of the US sucks. I don't like it for the effect on the fans and potential effect on the teams - whoever they are. If the NFL want to promote the game then play pre-season games outside of the US but leave the regular season games alone.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

If the games take away from a teams regular home season games of 8, I'm dead set against it.

It would be unfair to the fans, the teams & the owners if they were to get only 7 home games while other teams still get 8.

Even if it's an away game, I think it would be unfair to the teams that don't get to go. Those teams that don't get to go, will be playing their away games at an opponents field where the opponent would have the home field advantage, making a win tougher to get, whereas playing a team on a neutral field in Europe, favors no one.

I agree with Anglo, if your going to do it, limit it to the pre-season games

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"AngloVike" wrote:
    Yes there is NFL Europa here - the name was changed from NFL Europe last November -
    NFL Europa??
    WTF?????????

[img width=180 height=180]http://images.nfl.com/photos/img9817680.jpg[/img]

Oh dear God.
    I hadn't heard that.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"AWZeus" wrote:

http://www.nfleurope.com/news/story/9802525

The NFL Europe League has been re-named NFL Europa and has unveiled a new logo ahead of its 15th season which kicks off in April, 2007.

The move to NFL Europa is intended to highlight the importance of the German and Dutch markets and to create stronger ties with those countries. The new logo and name also maintains very firm links with the NFL in the United States.

NFL Europa Managing Director Uwe Bergheim believes the unveiling of the new name and logo is a very important step for the league, stating: “I am very happy that we can present a new era of professional football in Germany and Europe with our new name and logo.

“Just one letter has been changed but going from NFL Europe to NFL Europa shows how important the German and Dutch markets are for the NFL. It expresses the roots we have established over the last 15 years and that we want to stay here for a long time.

“The logo also emphasises our strong ties to the most successful sports league in the world, the NFL. We are part of Europe and also the NFL. Those aspects combine perfectly with our new logo and name. I hope that fans all around the league and Germany can identify even better with the NFL Europa.”
    Look out - here come the Germans!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Blog Entries

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    Yes there is NFL Europa here - the name was changed from NFL Europe last November -
    NFL Europa??
    WTF?????????

Oh dear God.
    I hadn't heard that.
    =Z=

“Just one letter has been changed but going from NFL Europe to NFL Europa shows how important the German and Dutch markets are for the NFL. It expresses the roots we have established over the last 15 years and that we want to stay here for a long time.
    given that 5 teams are German and only one Dutch side then I'm surprised that they remembered the Dutch.. how long before NFL Deutchland

PurpleGator is offline Hall of Famer

I heard its going to be the Giants and Miami.

What do you all think?

The business side of football really has turned me away from the NFL towards the college game.
    Football is a great game, but the fact that the NFL revolves around one thing, money, really pisses me off.

scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

"AngloVike" wrote:
    I know this has been discussed at length before but for those that are in any doubt this is all about money and spreading the NFL into markets outside of the US. We've seen the start of this season when the NFL introduced online streaming for games for non-US based people and at $25 a game then many may have considered that a bargain price to be able to see their team in every regular season game.
    At the moment this is an experiment for, I think,
    4 or 5 years to see how it goes. After that period then the owners will look again to see whether it should be continued. I'm not sure what is happening in terms of revenue for the games, obviously the NFL will take a percentage along with the organiser within the country but I'm assuming that the 'home' team will then get an amount that will be similar to that which they would have expected if the game was in their own stadium.
    As its a new thing being tried out then don't expect the current 'top' teams (those who are in a period to be able to reach the Superbowl)to be selected as the home team. I think that you will see the smaller market teams used whilst it is in the trial stage, so teams such as Buffalo, Miami etc will be the ones to give up homefield advantage. Can't see the NFL being able to handle the problems if someone such as Indy, NO, Dallas ended up missing out on the playoffs by one game and using the overseas game as the reason for that. That would be too political and potentially kill the golden goose of the overseas market, which the NFL won't like.

Yes there is NFL Europa here - the name was changed from NFL Europe last November - but that is always going to be looked on a training and developmental league and one which is not profitable. Bear in mind that the league is having to put money into it in order to keep it going, it's not totally self-financing. The only thing that would work, from a fan view is the real deal which means regular season games, any games staged will be a sell-out without a doubt. I know from the NFLUK boards that any game here will be attended by fans of all teams as it an opportunity to see a game in real-life - and that is what the NFL is relying on for all their overseas games. If they have the Jags as home team in the UK then they wouldn't fill the endzone with Jags supporters but they know that the rest of the stadium will be filled with NFL fans of other teams. So in a way its almost a financial given.

The bye week issue has been mentioned before so I'd expect that teams would have a bye week after the game. This may also mean that the games involved will be interconference games as I can't see owners wanting to lose homefield advantage for any divisional games or interconference matches which may affect tie breakers at season end. Also this would mean that the teams overseas are 'shared' by the AFC & NFC and doesn't fall on one conference.

From a personal point of view I'd love it if the Vikes were the 'away' team but I know that getting tickets for the game will be very very hard indeed. How ironic would that be to have a game only hundreds of miles away instead of thousands and yet harder to get tickets.. lol

From a Vikes fan/ NFL fan perspective - the idea of regular season games outside of the US sucks. I don't like it for the effect on the fans and potential effect on the teams - whoever they are. If the NFL want to promote the game then play pre-season games outside of the US but leave the regular season games alone.
    I'm pretty much in agreement with all of that Anglo, like you I personally don't agree with the idea but if it meant getting to see the Vikes play live, bring it on. As for the tickets it seems these days whether its a music concert or a sports event, a large proportion of people are just buying so they can make a killing on E-Bay. Hopefully the NFL can come up with something so that all of the tickets will go to true fans and not the touts for this game.

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

"DiehardVikesFan" wrote:
    The business side of football really has turned me away from the NFL towards the college game.
    Football is a great game, but the fact that the NFL revolves around one thing, money, really pisses me off.
    Everything in life revolves around money. Do you really think that college football isn't a business? (lmao.) Everything is the same in college. The only difference is, instead of a paycheck, the players get their college education payed for. You can't tell me those guys are out there banging their heads around for nothing.

You may want to check out High School Football. That's where it's at. These guys PAY to play football! lol.

Blog Entries

"scottishvike" wrote:

I'm pretty much in agreement with all of that Anglo, like you I personally don't agree with the idea but if it meant getting to see the Vikes play live, bring it on. As for the tickets it seems these days whether its a music concert or a sports event, a large proportion of people are just buying so they can make a killing on E-Bay. Hopefully the NFL can come up with something so that all of the tickets will go to true fans and not the touts for this game.
    I appreciate that it is a good opportunity for people to see teams and know if it was the Vikes then I'd
    be looking to go as well. I'm lucky that, so far, I've been able to get to games but know a lot of UK fans can't do that. My concern is just that how many tickets will disappear into corporate packages. There will be people that go to the game that know nothing about NFL football but want to see what it's about, some will like it and some won't but at least they are interested. However the vast majority of corporate clients won't have a clue and won't be intersted in anything other than getting another glass of bubbly and a prawn sandwich to go with it
    ;D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast