jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Is 3 Tight End Offense, Future Of The NFL?

While searching for articles on ways NFL teams use two tight end sets I came across this article that makes a case for the 3 tight end offense as the wave of the future.
    It sounds a bit far fetched at first but the author is knowledgeable and makes a very convincing article. He also discusses the advantages of two tight end sets such as we may see the Vikings use this season.

This article should be right down Marrdro's fairway. eg.'The fullback will vanish'.

There have been three major milestones in the evolution of football
    1. The forward pass (a play innovation)
    2. Allowing OL to extend their hands and arms (a rule change)
    3. The West Coast Offense and the Cover-2 counters (systems)
    Step number four in the march of football ideas may very well be a change in positions. Just as the flankers and wings of yesteryear vanished, and the original fullback became the quarterback, the change in the future will be dramatic. The fullback will vanish, wide receivers will be halved in numbers, and tight ends will become the centerpiece of the game.

http://www.footballtimes.org/Article.asp?ID=218
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Re: Is 3 Tight End Offense, Future Of The NFL?

Tight ends are more valuable then ever, and are very versatile.
    Still I don't think many teams will go to three tight ends because it's harder to spread the field with only one WR. With only 1 reciever wide the defense only has to cover half the field.

Hopefully the Vikings getting the top tight end in the draft will pay dividends, and maybe this is a sign the Vikings could keep Shank too.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Well, IMHO whether it is 3 TE's or 2 TE's and a fullback or 1 TE and and "H" back they are doing a similar job IMHO so the FB disappearing would be largely in name only.

I had a pretty good thread on this subject earlier in the off season about building an offense to beat the best defenses.

It seems Tice was ahead of the curve when he was hired as HC in 2002:
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_26_226/ai_95676806/pg_2/?tag=mantle_skin;content
    X's and O's

We're going back to a two-tight end offense, sort of the Joe Gibbs offense, which we ran here in the early '90s. I think in a two-tight end offense you can be more balanced in your formations and you pose more problems for the defense. It's hard for the defense to decide where your strength is. Secondly, you can run the ball better out of two-tight end formations; that's a proven fact. Thirdly, I don't particularly like the "T" as a bread-and-butter formation.
    getting back to the 3 TE formation though, I am not sure that the talent is there to put 3 TE sized WR's on every team plus backups and still get high quality out of them so my guess is that the trend will never develop to the extent that the WCO did in the league. I believe if anything it will maybe be used by a few select teams who are fortunate enough to get that type of talent if anything. That being said I do see the league getting TE's more involved and I do see them beefing up the offense to get more physical in order to counter the spread offense by controlling the clock and keeping the spread teams on the sidelines.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1100616
    Well, IMHO whether it is 3 TE's or 2 TE's and a fullback or 1 TE and and "H" back they are doing a similar job IMHO so the FB disappearing would be largely in name only.

I had a pretty good thread on this subject earlier in the off season about building an offense to beat the best defenses.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_26_226/ai_95676806/pg_2/?tag=mantle_skin;content
    X's and O's

We're going back to a two-tight end offense, sort of the Joe Gibbs offense, which we ran here in the early '90s. I think in a two-tight end offense you can be more balanced in your formations and you pose more problems for the defense. It's hard for the defense to decide where your strength is. Secondly, you can run the ball better out of two-tight end formations; that's a proven fact. Thirdly, I don't particularly like the "T" as a bread-and-butter formation.
    getting back to the 3 TE formation though, I am not sure that the talent is there to put 3 TE sized WR's on every team plus backups and still get high quality out of them so my guess is that the trend will never develop to the extent that the WCO did in the league. I believe if anything it will maybe be used by a few select teams who are fortunate enough to get that type of talent if anything. That being said I do see the league getting TE's more involved and I do see them beefing up the offense to get more physical in order to counter the spread offense by controlling the clock and keeping the spread teams on the sidelines.
    I can't remember who it was, but long before this, someone on here posted a comparison of Tices offense to what the Chiller ran (Pre-Noodle).

Very interesting comparision, especially the use of TE's and H'backs instead of WR's and FB's.

As to the 3 TE set discussion that Doc started with. I've already said it a few times that I bet we see 3 TE's this year and I don't mean just once or twice but as a main set in our base depending on what the defense can/can't do against it.

The Pats showed what it can do last year against teams that could effectively run the "Press Zone" look that seems to be pretty prevelant in the AFC these days.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1101147

X's and O's

I can't remember who it was, but long before this, someone on here posted a comparison of Tices offense to what the Chiller ran (Pre-Noodle).

Very interesting comparision, especially the use of TE's and H'backs instead of WR's and FB's.

As to the 3 TE set discussion that Doc started with. I've already said it a few times that I bet we see 3 TE's this year and I don't mean just once or twice but as a main set in our base depending on what the defense can/can't do against it.

The Pats showed what it can do last year against teams that could effectively run the "Press Zone" look that seems to be pretty prevelant in the AFC these days.
    I see us running a mix of power running, and two-TE passing plays.

A formation like:

--------------Rudolph-OL---OL---OL---OL---OL---Sauce
    Harvin----------------------------DNabb----------------Shank--------------Rice

-----------------------------------Peterson

really does give us alot of options. Motion Sauce to the backfield into an I formation, Shank out to the slot.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1101149

X's and O's

A formation like:

really does give us alot of options. Motion Sauce to the backfield into an I formation, Shank out to the slot.
    12 men on the field gives us penalties not options.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1101151

X's and O's

A formation like:

Damn! No wonder it looked good on paper. All those years of watching Childress coach has rubbed off on me. Soon I'll be punting on fourth down while down by 14 with 2 minutes left and no timeouts.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1101153
    Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1101151

X's and O's

A formation like:

Damn! No wonder it looked good on paper. All those years of watching Childress coach has rubbed off on me. Soon I'll be punting on fourth down while down by 14 with 2 minutes left and no timeouts.

:woohoo: