Prophet Guest

3 teams on Fiedler's short list

3 teams on Fiedler's short list
    By STEPHEN F. HOLDER
    Published June 28, 2006
    Link

TAMPA - The Bucs have begun in earnest their pursuit of free-agent quarterback Jay Fiedler, who has narrowed his list of possible destinations to three, including Tampa Bay.

The Bucs appear to be in the thick of things. Fiedler's agent, Brian Levy, said Fiedler "had a great visit with the Bucs and came away very impressed with where they are headed."

Levy added that he is in talks with two other teams - the Giants and a team that wishes to remain anonymous - but a decision on Fiedler's plans could come swiftly. "We expect to speak with all the interested parties this week and come to a resolution shortly," Levy said.

Tampa Bay's interest in Fiedler was prompted by a knee injury to backup Luke McCown in offseason workouts, one that required surgery and is expected to keep him out of training camp and probably longer. Coach Jon Gruden said last week that it's likely McCown will be placed on the physically-unable-to-perform list, from which he could be activated later.

In the meantime, the Bucs are left with Chris Simms as their starter but an unstable situation behind him. Tim Rattay, who has never taken a snap for Tampa Bay, and sixth-round pick Bruce Gradkowski are the next two quarterbacks on the depth chart.

But if the Bucs sign Fiedler, they will do so knowing he is not completely healthy, either. The Bucs were expected to evaluate his health after a shoulder injury sustained in Week 3 last season sidelined him for the rest of the season.

Fiedler began throwing several weeks ago and said his doctors expect him to be ready to practice at the start of training camp.

Bdubya is offline Star Spokesman

Re: 3 teams on Fiedler's short list

Jay! Come back to Minnesota! :roll:
    MC's run away when I kick it
    They act so chicken, they should come with a large drink and a biscuit
    -Canibus

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

We don't need that big-eared loser!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

Are we gonna do the same thing with QB's as RB's which is have like 5 decent players?

Jay Fiedler, I ask you serioulsy JAY FIEDLER!

Thank you Josdin for the sig

thetrenches68OL is offline Asst. Coach

hope the guy at least finds a job some where every one needs to get paid
    The Trenches are where Games are Decided

Hutch and K. Will baby

sig by PurplePeopleEaters

Prophet Guest

Prophet Guest

Buccaneers | Addition of Fiedler may lead to release of Rattay
    Fri, 30 Jun 2006 09:22:12 -0700

Stephen F. Holder, of the St. Petersburg Times, reports with the addition of QB Jay Fiedler, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers may decide to release QB Tim Rattay before the season and save $1.25 million against the salary cap. Even without Rattay, the team would still have a No. 3 option at quarterback with rookie QB Bruce Gradkowski, who has made a good impression on the coaching staff so far.

Buccaneers | Fiedler excited for reunion with Gruden
    Fri, 30 Jun 2006 09:05:26 -0700

Buccaneers.com reports Tampa Bay Buccaneers QB Jay Fiedler (shoulder) is excited to be working together again with head coach Jon Gruden, who was Fiedler's first offensive coordinator when he entered the league in Philadelphia. Both men have acquired quite a bit of experience after that season together in 1995. "I'm sure he's done a lot of different things and gotten better as a coach, just as I've gotten better as a player since the last time we were together," said Fiedler. "It's an opportunity to work with him again and be in a versatile offense with a lot of options where the quarterback really has a lot of input into what goes on offensively. The more I'm able to handle, the more he's going to throw at me. I'm excited about that."