Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    b_sandhar_29 is offline Starter

2012 what if....

I've been wanting to see what people would think of the following scenario... If Andrew Luck was to be sitting there at Number 1 with Minnesota on the clock, do you draft him and try to trade him/ bring him to compete with Ponder/ Have 2 young great QBs and try to build a Kolb-like Situation/ or take another player... I think its an interesting scenario because many sports analysts have considered him the "best QB they've every scouted." And he would probably be the top player on everyone's draft board if you were to take a BPA approach. I'd like to hear what people think about this.
    None

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: 2012 what if....

Quote Originally Posted by "b_sandhar_29" #1096886
    I've been wanting to see what people would think of the following scenario... If Andrew Luck was to be sitting there at Number 1 with Minnesota on the clock, do you draft him and try to trade him/ bring him to compete with Ponder/ Have 2 young great QBs and try to build a Kolb-like Situation/ or take another player... I think its an interesting scenario because many sports analysts have considered him the "best QB they've every scouted." And he would probably be the top player on everyone's draft board if you were to take a BPA approach. I'd like to hear what people think about this.
    First off, if you have the #1 pick, I'm pretty sure Luck would still be there at #1. :P

If we start Ponder this year and are in the position to draft Luck at number 1, you obviously draft Luck with the number one pick.

The competition part of your question becomes almost moot, given the fact that your picking #1 in the first place.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I think it might be good to watch a few games before you make that decision but if Ponder looks good at all we might want to look at a DB, OL or WR at that spot.

b_sandhar_29 is offline Starter

I agree... and don't get me wrong I think Ponder is going to be a stud... As a GM though having a 2 capable QBs on your roster puts you in position to make a blockbuster trade... thats how I see it... or simply you have competition at the most important position... something we've lacked for so long...
    None

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1096888
    First off, if you have the #1 pick, I'm pretty sure Luck would still be there at #1. :P

If we start Ponder this year and are in the position to draft Luck at number 1, you obviously draft Luck with the number one pick.

The competition part of your question becomes almost moot, given the fact that your picking #1 in the first place.
    I agree that you take Luck, and you hope to develop what Cleveland was trying to develop with Quinn and Derek Anderson, and that Philly has with Vick and Kolb - a 1-2 QB punch that invites other teams to start piling offers on your doorstep. Of course, in Cleveland's case the whole thing imploded and both QB's wounds up sucking....

The other option would be to entertain offers from anyone desperate to draft Luck. How many picks is he worth?

Of course, for this to happen, the Vikings will have to be pretty darn crappy...and there are a lot of teams right now fighting over who gets to be the crappiest - with Carolina leading the charge. This team is teetering between good and bad right now...it should be interesting to see how it plays out.

Caine

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1096927
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1096888

I agree that you take Luck, and you hope to develop what Cleveland was trying to develop with Quinn and Derek Anderson, and that Philly has with Vick and Kolb - a 1-2 QB punch that invites other teams to start piling offers on your doorstep. Of course, in Cleveland's case the whole thing imploded and both QB's wounds up sucking....

The other option would be to entertain offers from anyone desperate to draft Luck. How many picks is he worth?

Of course, for this to happen, the Vikings will have to be pretty darn crappy...and there are a lot of teams right now fighting over who gets to be the crappiest - with Carolina leading the charge. This team is teetering between good and bad right now...it should be interesting to see how it plays out.

Caine
    Even without a QB, I don't think we're possibly a top-3 worst team int he league this year. We might get a top-10 pick, but top-3 are reserved for the truly special of the special.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Assuming his draft stock doesn't fall, I think the number 1 pick has to be luck. Some team will likely give up the farm to get the pick. My guess is the #1 pick will go to an 0-16 team. By mid season a team or two might be tanking on purpose to get a franchise Qb.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

First, I don't think we will be drafting in the top half of the draft next year, let alone number 1 and thats if we have Ponder starting. If we do bring in a Vet, I am thinking we draft something like 32 or 31.

Again, along ways from 1.

Second, and banish the thought for even taking me down this discussion, if we were sitting there at one, and considering the same pay scale was in place for rooks, the following thoughts apply that would go into that decision:

a. No one will move up to get him so there won't be a trade.

Rationale is, when was the last time (other than the Eli/Philip fiasco) that the number one was traded so another team could get the top rated QB?

b. Just because we are drafting at number 1, doesn't mean that Ponder failed. Maybe our defense sucked so bad that they couldn't stop the run and collapse the pocket/get pressure on the QB.

In the end, you know me. If, and its a big if, we were drafting at 1, I would think we would have bigger issues to solve than the QB position. If that is the case, I would look to see who is sitting there other than another high priced QB that might be able to give us immediate help......

Stanford's Luck headlines early look at top 2012 draft prospects
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096948
    First, I don't think we will be drafting in the top half of the draft next year, let alone number 1 and thats if we have Ponder starting. If we do bring in a Vet, I am thinking we draft something like 32 or 31.

Again, along ways from 1.

Second, and banish the thought for even taking me down this discussion, if we were sitting there at one, and considering the same pay scale was in place for rooks, the following thoughts apply that would go into that decision:

a. No one will move up to get him so there won't be a trade.

Rationale is, when was the last time (other than the Eli/Philip fiasco) that the number one was traded so another team could get the top rated QB?

b. Just because we are drafting at number 1, doesn't mean that Ponder failed. Maybe our defense sucked so bad that they couldn't stop the run and collapse the pocket/get pressure on the QB.
    Mike Vick, 2001

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

If we have the number one pick, it is likely that Ponder is a bust. So yes. Take Luck.
    We're bringing purple back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast