Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

Re: 2008 NFC Power Rankings - Vikes 8th

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "tb04512" wrote:
    "tgorsegner" wrote:
    Consequently, expect to see a purging of sorts in the Beltway. A host of high-priced players will be shepherded out of town, some good (DE Phillip Daniels, perhaps)
    ehh? another maybe.

Also, I really think that interested or not, the Vikings can't compete with the likes of Baltimore, Miami, Atlanta and perhaps Chicago in the McNabb sweepstakes, those teams all have players they could trade, a desperate need at QB and are still a few years from success and therefore more willing to trade good players.
    The vikings would have a better opportunity to compete IMO, because like you said those teams are still a couple of years away, where as we are right there and mcnabb doesnt have much longer in this league
    And that is why (IMHO) they won't mortgage the bank for him regardless of how much us fans want a better option at QB.
    at least i hope they dont

Thanks josdin00

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "tb04512" wrote:
    "tgorsegner" wrote:
    Consequently, expect to see a purging of sorts in the Beltway. A host of high-priced players will be shepherded out of town, some good (DE Phillip Daniels, perhaps)
    ehh? another maybe.

Also, I really think that interested or not, the Vikings can't compete with the likes of Baltimore, Miami, Atlanta and perhaps Chicago in the McNabb sweepstakes, those teams all have players they could trade, a desperate need at QB and are still a few years from success and therefore more willing to trade good players.
    The vikings would have a better opportunity to compete IMO, because like you said those teams are still a couple of years away, where as we are right there and mcnabb doesnt have much longer in this league
    And that is why (IMHO) they won't mortgage the bank for him regardless of how much us fans want a better option at QB.
    As much as I want it to happen, I don't think it will but there is a possibility and I think the staff will look at it if the price is right. Mcnabb wants a Super Bowl and I think he will do what it takes to get one. Out of all those teams, the Vikings have the best shot. Seems like a win win situation for all parties!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "tb04512" wrote:
    "tgorsegner" wrote:
    ehh? another maybe.

As much as I want it to happen, I don't think it will but there is a possibility and I think the staff will look at it if the price is right. Mcnabb wants a Super Bowl and I think he will do what it takes to get one. Out of all those teams, the Vikings have the best shot. Seems like a win win situation for all parties!
    So you believe we are a SB contender with McNabb at QB?

If TJ double his production next year would you think the same of him?

The Iggles basically throw alot of dink and dunk passes just as the Vikes do and McNabb is ranked 20th in completion percentage and TJ is 26th.

20 D. McNabb QB, PHI 291 473 61.5 3324 7.03 75 19 4.0 7 1.5 44.0 227 89.9
    26 T. Jackson QB, MIN 171 294 58.2 1911 6.50 71 9 3.1 12 4.1 19.0 70 70.8

McNabb is ranked 11th in deep passing and TJ is ranked 16th.
    11 D. McNabb QB, PHI 291 473 61.5 3324 7.03 75 19 4.0 7 1.5 44.0 227 89.9
    16 T. Jackson QB, MIN 171 294 58.2 1911 6.50 71 9 3.1 12 4.1 19.0 70 70.8

Truth be told, if TJ increases production by 25% he will catch or be close to the numbers McNabb put up this year in almost all catagories.

Again, one has to wonder if 2 picks and a butt load of cash (that would stop us from getting a DE, WR and S) is really worth it.
    :

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statis...on=2&year=2007
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "tb04512" wrote:
    "tgorsegner" wrote:
    ehh? another maybe.

So you believe we are a SB contender with McNabb at QB?

If TJ double his production next year would you think the same of him?

The Iggles basically throw alot of dink and dunk passes just as the Vikes do and McNabb is ranked 20th in completion percentage and TJ is 26th.

20 D. McNabb QB, PHI 291 473 61.5 3324 7.03 75 19 4.0 7 1.5 44.0 227 89.9
    26 T. Jackson QB, MIN 171 294 58.2 1911 6.50 71 9 3.1 12 4.1 19.0 70 70.8

McNabb is ranked 11th in deep passing and TJ is ranked 16th.
    11 D. McNabb QB, PHI 291 473 61.5 3324 7.03 75 19 4.0 7 1.5 44.0 227 89.9
    16 T. Jackson QB, MIN 171 294 58.2 1911 6.50 71 9 3.1 12 4.1 19.0 70 70.8

Truth be told, if TJ increases production by 25% he will catch or be close to the numbers McNabb put up this year in almost all catagories.

Again, one has to wonder if 2 picks and a butt load of cash (that would stop us from getting a DE, WR and S) is really worth it.

:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statis...on=2&year=2007
    There is a huge difference between those two teams. Offensive line and Wide Receivers.

Do you really think that Kevin Curtis, Reggie Brown, Hank Baskett, and Jason Avant are better than Bobby Wade, Sydney Rice, Robert Ferguson, Aundrae Allison and yes even Troy Williamson. I don't!

I don't even have to talk about the line because we are ways ahead of them even with Ryan Cook who in your mind is getting better.

There is more two completion percentage and deep passing than just TJ and Donovan.

Do I believe we will be a Super Bowl contender with McNabb? HELL YES. He has playoff experience and knows how to get to the Super Bowl. With the right team (Vikings) he can win it. Now add in a FA WR and DE and we are set.

Do I believe we will be a Super Bowl contender with TJ? HELL NO. I like TJ but he is far from that stage. He needs to get to the playoffs first. I year or two behind McNabb will do him a world of good.

Frostbite is offline Coach

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    Too high

I could see us around 15th MAYBE starting out.. But a top 10 team already?

When there hasn't really been any changes anywhere
    We were easily playing like a top 10 team in the last half of the season.
    Plus I think he is giving us that rank based on a QB upgrade.

Honestly, I think it is a little high, but not much.

Really Nodak?? That could be debated I think. Not trying to step on you my friend but I would point out the GB, Chicago (We won only because they played worse offensively than we did that night) Washington, and Denver...When did we play/look like a top 10 team in the second half of the season? I can think of two games. NY Giants at NY, and Chargers at Met. Even against SF we showed a lot of weakness especially on offense. As a top ten NFC team....perhaps?? Not as a top ten overall NFL team I don't think....Maybe you ment NFC?

If so...yep...we came in at number 9 or 10, and out of playoff contention. Being in the top ten of the NFC is great unless you come in 9 or 10. We really need to be in the top 4 NFC teams to make a serious run. I hope we can be in the top 2 NFC this season, but I think that could be expecting to much.

Cheers! ;D
    Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Frostbite" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    Too high

Really Nodak?? That could be debated I think. Not trying to step on you my friend but I would point out the GB, Chicago (We won only because they played worse offensively than we did that night) Washington, and Denver...When did we play/look like a top 10 team in the second half of the season? I can think of two games. NY Giants at NY, and Chargers at Met. Even against SF we showed a lot of weakness especially on offense. As a top ten NFC team....perhaps?? Not as a top ten overall NFL team I don't think....Maybe you ment NFC?

If so...yep...we came in at number 9 or 10, and out of playoff contention. Being in the top ten of the NFC is great unless you come in 9 or 10. We really need to be in the top 4 NFC teams to make a serious run. I hope we can be in the top 2 NFC this season, but I think that could be expecting to much.

Cheers! ;D
    Yes really.

Out of the last nine games that we played, I think we played like a top ten team in several games.
    Obviously the Chargers and NYG.
    You also forgot to mention the Lions, who we destroyed at home.
    San Fran we annihilated 27-7 in their stadium, how was that weak?
    Most of the offense was conservative once we had a 20+ point lead - that is normal football.
    Denver I would also argue that we played decently - went up the field fairly well but had turnovers or dropped balls that kept us out of the game (and we still almost won).

Washington was a disappointment, as was Green Bay.
    Chicago was ugly too.
    The glaring problem with the Vikings last season was our lack of consistency.
    Sometimes we played like a top ten team in the NFL, sometimes we did not.
    Considering the inexperience on several key positions of the team, that isn't much of a shock.
    I think that a lot of the people making objective predictions are realistically expecting the Vikings to shore up that inconsistency as our younger players mature - hence the top ten prediction.

So yeah, I think we were playing like a top 10 team for much of the last half of the season.
    And I expect us to continue that in the fall.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"marstc09" wrote:
    There is a huge difference between those two teams. Offensive line and Wide Receivers.

Do you really think that Kevin Curtis, Reggie Brown, Hank Baskett, and Jason Avant are better than Bobby Wade, Sydney Rice, Robert Ferguson, Aundrae Allison and yes even Troy Williamson. I don't!

I don't even have to talk about the line because we are ways ahead of them even with Ryan Cook who in your mind is getting better.

There is more two completion percentage and deep passing than just TJ and Donovan.

Do I believe we will be a Super Bowl contender with McNabb? HELL YES. He has playoff experience and knows how to get to the Super Bowl. With the right team (Vikings) he can win it. Now add in a FA WR and DE and we are set.

Do I believe we will be a Super Bowl contender with TJ? HELL NO. I like TJ but he is far from that stage. He needs to get to the playoffs first. I year or two behind McNabb will do him a world of good.
    I will have to give you the points on WR's and OL compared to ours.
    Excellent point.

I also don't think TJ will get us to the SB but I do believe this team with TJ at the helm will get us just as close as this team with McNabb at the helm.

Hell of a statement huh?

Rationale is that if they went out and got Donavan they couldn't/wouldn't be able to address the DE, WR and S positions (Not enough CAP $$$$ to do around) as well as draft backups/future stars at the FB, S, DT and LB positions without the 2 picks we would give up for him..

Donavon alone won't make this team better without those players on the team.
    By keeping TJ, the team then has 2 extra picks and the CAP necessary to address a few positions of bigger need.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Frostbite is offline Coach

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Frostbite" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    Too high

Cheers! ;D
    Yes really.

Out of the last nine games that we played, I think we played like a top ten team in several games.
    Obviously the Chargers and NYG.
    You also forgot to mention the Lions, who we destroyed at home.
    San Fran we annihilated 27-7 in their stadium, how was that weak?
    Most of the offense was conservative once we had a 20+ point lead - that is normal football.
    Denver I would also argue that we played decently - went up the field fairly well but had turnovers or dropped balls that kept us out of the game (and we still almost won).

Washington was a disappointment, as was Green Bay.
    Chicago was ugly too.
    The glaring problem with the Vikings last season was our lack of consistency.
    Sometimes we played like a top ten team in the NFL, sometimes we did not.
    Considering the inexperience on several key positions of the team, that isn't much of a shock.
    I think that a lot of the people making objective predictions are realistically expecting the Vikings to shore up that inconsistency as our younger players mature - hence the top ten prediction.

So yeah, I think we were playing like a top 10 team for much of the last half of the season.
    And I expect us to continue that in the fall.
    I totally agree....and that is the biggest reason I didn't see us as a top NFC team in 07. I conceed we had some good games as you mention in your reply, but it's the consistant team effort that gets to Championships in this League, and makes it into the playoffs as a top 8 NFC team. It was our lack of consistancy that cost us a playoff berth in 07.

I though SF was a disappointment because they had our running bottled up except for one big run by Chester. Yes we won it big over an inferior caliber team. but had little if any answer for the stacked box, which proved to be the Achillies heal for this teams offense in 07.

Cheers!

Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

With a consistent(even a mediocre one, just respectable enough to get someone out of the box) passing game, and a good consistent pass rush we're the BEST team in the NFC IMHO.

Here is an interesting read from another source.

While the Cowboys, Giants, Packers and Seahawks have to be viewed as the top teams in the conference, the Vikings are a lot closer to the brass ring this year than they were a year ago at this time and a year from now, we may be talking about them much in the same way Giants and Packers fans are talking about their teams’ meteoric rises from mediocrity to top-dog status.

http://min.scout.com/a.z?s=63&p=2&c=729363

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast