Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35
  1. #21
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: 2008 Hall of Famers

    "mountainviking" wrote:
    I'm kind of ticked that Monk made it and Carter didn't.
    No.1, I keep thinking about how he pushed off in the playoffs against us on a typical non-call to get the go ahead score...and then went on to win the Superbowl.
    Second, Carter has more TDs, Yards, and receptions!
    You have to remember that Art Monk was a pretty damn good WR in his day regardless of what he did to the team we love and the way they vote things in sometimes is all pretty mystical.

    Think of it as he was deserving and it was deemed his time.

    In most cases they never vote 2 players in from the same position thus CC and Randall were left out this year.
    Next year I don't see anyone ahead or more deserving.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  2. #22
    ultravikingfan's Avatar
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    24,514

    Re: 2008 Hall of Famers

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "mountainviking" wrote:
    I'm kind of ticked that Monk made it and Carter didn't.
    No.1, I keep thinking about how he pushed off in the playoffs against us on a typical non-call to get the go ahead score...and then went on to win the Superbowl.
    Second, Carter has more TDs, Yards, and receptions!
    You have to remember that Art Monk was a pretty damn good WR in his day regardless of what he did to the team we love and the way they vote things in sometimes is all pretty mystical.

    Think of it as he was deserving and it was deemed his time.

    In most cases they never vote 2 players in from the same position thus CC and Randall were left out this year.
    Next year I don't see anyone ahead or more deserving.
    They don't?

    Class of 2006
    (August 6, 2006)
    Troy Aikman
    Harry Carson
    John Madden
    Warren Moon
    Reggie White
    Rayfield Wright

    Class of 2005
    (August 7, 2005)
    Benny Friedman
    Dan Marino
    Fritz Pollard
    Steve Young

    I will stop there.



    http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/years.html

  3. #23
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: 2008 Hall of Famers

    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "mountainviking" wrote:
    I'm kind of ticked that Monk made it and Carter didn't.
    No.1, I keep thinking about how he pushed off in the playoffs against us on a typical non-call to get the go ahead score...and then went on to win the Superbowl.
    Second, Carter has more TDs, Yards, and receptions!
    You have to remember that Art Monk was a pretty gol 'darnit good WR in his day regardless of what he did to the team we love and the way they vote things in sometimes is all pretty mystical.

    Think of it as he was deserving and it was deemed his time.

    In most cases they never vote 2 players in from the same position thus CC and Randall were left out this year.
    Next year I don't see anyone ahead or more deserving.
    They don't?

    Class of 2006
    (August 6, 2006)
    Troy Aikman
    Harry Carson
    John Madden
    Warren Moon
    Reggie White
    Rayfield Wright

    Class of 2005
    (August 7, 2005)
    Benny Friedman
    Dan Marino
    Fritz Pollard
    Steve Young

    I will stop there.



    http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/years.html
    I didn't say they didn't.
    I said in most cases.
    Go back further.


    They had a huge debate on this on Siruis yesterday.

    Class of 1998
    (August 1, 1998)
    Paul Krause
    Tommy McDonald
    Anthony Muñoz
    Mike Singletary
    Dwight Stephenson

    Class of 1999
    (August 7, 1999)
    Eric Dickerson
    Tom Mack
    Ozzie Newsome
    Billy Shaw
    Lawrence Taylor

    Back to top | 1960-1969 | 1970-1979 | 1980-1989 | 1990-1999 | 2000-present
    Class of 2000
    (July 29, 2000)
    Howie Long
    Ronnie Lott
    Joe Montana
    Dan Rooney
    Dave Wilcox

    Class of 2001
    (August 4, 2001)
    Nick Buoniconti
    Marv Levy
    Mike Munchak
    Jackie Slater
    Lynn Swann
    Ron Yary
    Jack Youngblood

    Class of 2002
    (August 3, 2002)
    George Allen
    Dave Casper
    Dan Hampton
    Jim Kelly
    John Stallworth

    Class of 2003
    (August 3, 2003)
    Marcus Allen
    Elvin Bethea
    Joe DeLamielleure
    James Lofton
    Hank Stram

    Class of 2004
    (August 8, 2004)
    Bob (Boomer) Brown
    Carl Eller
    John Elway
    Barry Sanders

    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  4. #24
    ultravikingfan's Avatar
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    24,514

    Re: 2008 Hall of Famers

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "mountainviking" wrote:
    I'm kind of ticked that Monk made it and Carter didn't.
    No.1, I keep thinking about how he pushed off in the playoffs against us on a typical non-call to get the go ahead score...and then went on to win the Superbowl.
    Second, Carter has more TDs, Yards, and receptions!
    You have to remember that Art Monk was a pretty gol 'darnit good WR in his day regardless of what he did to the team we love and the way they vote things in sometimes is all pretty mystical.

    Think of it as he was deserving and it was deemed his time.

    In most cases they never vote 2 players in from the same position thus CC and Randall were left out this year.
    Next year I don't see anyone ahead or more deserving.
    They don't?

    Class of 2006
    (August 6, 2006)
    Troy Aikman
    Harry Carson
    John Madden
    Warren Moon
    Reggie White
    Rayfield Wright

    Class of 2005
    (August 7, 2005)
    Benny Friedman
    Dan Marino
    Fritz Pollard
    Steve Young

    I will stop there.



    http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/years.html
    I didn't say they didn't.
    I said in most cases.
    Go back further.


    They had a huge debate on this on Siruis yesterday.

    Class of 1998
    (August 1, 1998)
    Paul Krause
    Tommy McDonald
    Anthony Muñoz
    Mike Singletary
    Dwight Stephenson

    Class of 1999
    (August 7, 1999)
    Eric Dickerson
    Tom Mack
    Ozzie Newsome
    Billy Shaw
    Lawrence Taylor

    Back to top | 1960-1969 | 1970-1979 | 1980-1989 | 1990-1999 | 2000-present
    Class of 2000
    (July 29, 2000)
    Howie Long
    Ronnie Lott
    Joe Montana
    Dan Rooney
    Dave Wilcox

    Class of 2001
    (August 4, 2001)
    Nick Buoniconti
    Marv Levy
    Mike Munchak
    Jackie Slater
    Lynn Swann
    Ron Yary
    Jack Youngblood

    Class of 2002
    (August 3, 2002)
    George Allen
    Dave Casper
    Dan Hampton
    Jim Kelly
    John Stallworth

    Class of 2003
    (August 3, 2003)
    Marcus Allen
    Elvin Bethea
    Joe DeLamielleure
    James Lofton
    Hank Stram

    Class of 2004
    (August 8, 2004)
    Bob (Boomer) Brown
    Carl Eller
    John Elway
    Barry Sanders

    Slater and Yary were both Tackles as well.
    I do not think players of the same position have muge bearing on who gets in and who does not in the same year.

  5. #25
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Re: 2008 Hall of Famers

    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    [quote author=Zeus link=topic=42007.msg716880#msg716880 date=1202045308]
    [quote author=ultravikingfan link=topic=42007.msg716879#msg716879 date=1202045182]
    [quote author=Zeus link=topic=42007.msg716867#msg716867 date=1202043726]
    [quote author=NDVikingFan66 link=topic=42007.msg716701#msg716701 date=1201992486]
    I believe they go in on the jersey of their choice.
    The Pro Football HoF does not feature players in a jersey of anything.
    They have busts and all teams for which they played are listed.
    The team for which they were a major contributor is highlighted.
    With Zimmerman, I have to assume that BOTH the Vikings and Broncos will be highlighted, as he was an All-Pro for both teams.
    Not sure if that's the case for anyone else.
    All Pro means nothing.
    They list them by the following:

    NOTE: In this listing - a Hall of Famer is named under all clubs on which he made his primary contribution to professional football - (i.e. - Chuck Noll is listed under Pittsburgh as a coach - but not under Cleveland as a player). Hall of Famers who made the major part of their primary contribution for any one club are listed in BOLD CAPS. In cases where a player contributed about equally and in a major way to two or more clubs - he is listed in BOLD CAPS under both clubs (ie. Nick Buoniconti is listed with both the Patriots and Dolphins as his primary teams). Hall of Famers who spent only a minor portion of their career with any club are listed under that club in lower case.

    http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/teams.html
    Don't lecture me, buster.

    Zimmerman is BOLD Vikings, not bold, Broncos.
    I scooped you.
    See above.
    I was posting at the same time you were.

    All Pro means nada...buster.
    All-Pro means just as much in the minds of the all-powerful selection board as any other statistic or honor bestowed upon a player during his career.
    For linemen, who rarely win MVPs or Player of the Year awards, All-Pro and (hopefully to a lesser extent) Pro Bowl nods can and probably are used by the selectors as evidence for or against them.
    It's a subjective election, so you cannot possibly say those nods mean nothing to the men in the room.
    [/quote]

    Has zero to do with how they are listed for the HoF.
    [/quote]

    Based on the subjective definition of "primary contribution to professional football", I can't see how the number of All-Pro awards will not be used to determine where the primary contribution was.

    =Z=
    [/quote]

    I believe it is years.
    [/quote]

    That's what I stated previously also. Awards mean nada imo, years & stats mean much more. Here is Zimm's stats for both teams....

    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/Z/ZimmGa00.htm

    When it's a toss up, the player is listed as bold for both teams.


    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  6. #26
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: 2008 Hall of Famers

    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "mountainviking" wrote:
    I'm kind of ticked that Monk made it and Carter didn't.
    No.1, I keep thinking about how he pushed off in the playoffs against us on a typical non-call to get the go ahead score...and then went on to win the Superbowl.
    Second, Carter has more TDs, Yards, and receptions!
    You have to remember that Art Monk was a pretty gol 'darnit good WR in his day regardless of what he did to the team we love and the way they vote things in sometimes is all pretty mystical.

    Think of it as he was deserving and it was deemed his time.

    In most cases they never vote 2 players in from the same position thus CC and Randall were left out this year.
    Next year I don't see anyone ahead or more deserving.
    They don't?

    Class of 2006
    (August 6, 2006)
    Troy Aikman
    Harry Carson
    John Madden
    Warren Moon
    Reggie White
    Rayfield Wright

    Class of 2005
    (August 7, 2005)
    Benny Friedman
    Dan Marino
    Fritz Pollard
    Steve Young

    I will stop there.



    http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/years.html
    I didn't say they didn't.
    I said in most cases.
    Go back further.


    They had a huge debate on this on Siruis yesterday.

    Class of 1998
    (August 1, 1998)
    Paul Krause
    Tommy McDonald
    Anthony Muñoz
    Mike Singletary
    Dwight Stephenson

    Class of 1999
    (August 7, 1999)
    Eric Dickerson
    Tom Mack
    Ozzie Newsome
    Billy Shaw
    Lawrence Taylor

    Back to top | 1960-1969 | 1970-1979 | 1980-1989 | 1990-1999 | 2000-present
    Class of 2000
    (July 29, 2000)
    Howie Long
    Ronnie Lott
    Joe Montana
    Dan Rooney
    Dave Wilcox

    Class of 2001
    (August 4, 2001)
    Nick Buoniconti
    Marv Levy
    Mike Munchak
    Jackie Slater
    Lynn Swann
    Ron Yary
    Jack Youngblood

    Class of 2002
    (August 3, 2002)
    George Allen
    Dave Casper
    Dan Hampton
    Jim Kelly
    John Stallworth

    Class of 2003
    (August 3, 2003)
    Marcus Allen
    Elvin Bethea
    Joe DeLamielleure
    James Lofton
    Hank Stram

    Class of 2004
    (August 8, 2004)
    Bob (Boomer) Brown
    Carl Eller
    John Elway
    Barry Sanders

    Slater and Yary were both Tackles as well.
    I do not think players of the same position have muge bearing on who gets in and who does not in the same year.
    Well I am not the expert on this but I listened to an hour and a half of it yesterday on the Sirius show and the guys that they talked to from the voters said that it was a big part.


    Additionally, they said that they will be focusing more on Defense over the next few years to right some wrongs in that aread regarding the desparity of Def vs Off in the Hall.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #27
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,403

    Re: 2008 Hall of Famers

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=mountainviking link=topic=42007.msg716972#msg716972 date=1202054838]
    I'm kind of ticked that Monk made it and Carter didn't.
    No.1, I keep thinking about how he pushed off in the playoffs against us on a typical non-call to get the go ahead score...and then went on to win the Superbowl.
    Second, Carter has more TDs, Yards, and receptions!
    You have to remember that Art Monk was a pretty gol 'darnit good WR in his day regardless of what he did to the team we love and the way they vote things in sometimes is all pretty mystical.

    Think of it as he was deserving and it was deemed his time.

    In most cases they never vote 2 players in from the same position thus CC and Randall were left out this year.
    Next year I don't see anyone ahead or more deserving.
    They don't?

    Class of 2006
    (August 6, 2006)
    Troy Aikman
    Harry Carson
    John Madden
    Warren Moon
    Reggie White
    Rayfield Wright

    Class of 2005
    (August 7, 2005)
    Benny Friedman
    Dan Marino
    Fritz Pollard
    Steve Young

    I will stop there.



    http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/years.html
    I didn't say they didn't.
    I said in most cases.
    Go back further.


    They had a huge debate on this on Siruis yesterday.

    Class of 1998
    (August 1, 1998)
    Paul Krause
    Tommy McDonald
    Anthony Muñoz
    Mike Singletary
    Dwight Stephenson

    Class of 1999
    (August 7, 1999)
    Eric Dickerson
    Tom Mack
    Ozzie Newsome
    Billy Shaw
    Lawrence Taylor

    Back to top | 1960-1969 | 1970-1979 | 1980-1989 | 1990-1999 | 2000-present
    Class of 2000
    (July 29, 2000)
    Howie Long
    Ronnie Lott
    Joe Montana
    Dan Rooney
    Dave Wilcox

    Class of 2001
    (August 4, 2001)
    Nick Buoniconti
    Marv Levy
    Mike Munchak
    Jackie Slater
    Lynn Swann
    Ron Yary
    Jack Youngblood

    Class of 2002
    (August 3, 2002)
    George Allen
    Dave Casper
    Dan Hampton
    Jim Kelly
    John Stallworth

    Class of 2003
    (August 3, 2003)
    Marcus Allen
    Elvin Bethea
    Joe DeLamielleure
    James Lofton
    Hank Stram

    Class of 2004
    (August 8, 2004)
    Bob (Boomer) Brown
    Carl Eller
    John Elway
    Barry Sanders

    Slater and Yary were both Tackles as well.
    I do not think players of the same position have muge bearing on who gets in and who does not in the same year.
    Well I am not the expert on this but I listened to an hour and a half of it yesterday on the Sirius show and the guys that they talked to from the voters said that it was a big part.


    Additionally, they said that they will be focusing more on Defense over the next few years to right some wrongs in that aread regarding the desparity of Def vs Off in the Hall.
    [/quote]I think both the same position, as well as the O vs. D argumentations, is just post rationalization to make some sort of explanation to why players are getting snubbed.

    Thanks to PPE for the sig.

  8. #28
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: 2008 Hall of Famers

    "cogitans" wrote:
    I think both the same position, as well as the O vs. D argumentations, is just post rationalization to make some sort of explanation to why players are getting snubbed.
    Could be.
    Again, as I've stated several times on here I don't pay much attention to individual awards as they mean squat to me.

    Who the hell really cares.


    How many times can you say to a PUKER fan.....

    I don't care how many times you've won the SB we have 8 Rookies of the year and 12 HOF'rs and you don't ........naw naw na naww naw.
    ;D

    Gimme Superbowl wins not individual awards that are quickly forgotten.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #29
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,403

    Re: 2008 Hall of Famers

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    I think both the same position, as well as the O vs. D argumentations, is just post rationalization to make some sort of explanation to why players are getting snubbed.
    Could be.
    Again, as I've stated several times on here I don't pay much attention to individual awards as they mean squat to me.

    Who the hell really cares.


    How many times can you say to a PUKER fan.....

    I don't care how many times you've won the SB we have 8 Rookies of the year and 12 HOF'rs and you don't ........naw naw na naww naw.
    ;D

    Gimme Superbowl wins not individual awards that are quickly forgotten.
    Give me a playoff push in '08

    Thanks to PPE for the sig.

  10. #30
    VKG4LFE's Avatar
    VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Hartford, WI
    Posts
    15,994

    Re: 2008 Hall of Famers

    Carter got absolutely FUCKING raped! Sorry for my language but c'mon! When the guy retired the only person ahead of him on nearly every receiving record was Rice! What a bunch of BS. I am so pissed off he got snubbed!

    I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-24-2008, 07:56 AM
  2. PHoD looks back on the 2008 off season (2008 draft results include)!
    By PurpleHornsOfDestruction in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 02-15-2008, 05:33 AM
  3. Replies: 124
    Last Post: 01-24-2008, 08:16 PM
  4. Hall of Famers (this years class)
    By gregair13 in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-12-2006, 01:30 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •