Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: 2007 NFL HOF announced

"Prophet" wrote:
    "PurplePride80" wrote:
    "THEBIGDADDY" wrote:
    "MVIKING7" wrote:
    Someone enlighten me. I must be missing something. Why do all these sports writers have a hardon for Art Monk? The guy was a great receiver, his numbers are right there, and he was a class act all the way. So what's with the diss? I don't get it. Out of all the players that didn't make it, he deserves it the most.
    Maybe Monk needs to start selling crack or something to get in. What is with the mixed messages. They are so anti Drug but yet instill they let someone like Irvin into their kall of Fame? WTF?

LOL, these cheapshots at Micheal Irvin are so foolish. Sure, he had many drug problems when he played for the Dallas Cowboys, but he got his life together and recently became a Hall of Famer.

Don't you people realize that Cris Carter was once a drug and alcohol addict?

He d@mn near tanked his career in Philly because of alleged drug use and media debacles. Then he was suprisingly released the follow pre-season.

He cleaned up his act, found a new love for the game, and is beloved by nearly all Vikings fans not only for his HOF numbers, but for the fact that he made the absolute most out of a second chance and repaid the debt he owed Minnesota for the risk they took on him.
    Get real.
    Irvin should not have gone in before a lot of folks that are in the waiting line.
    Explain to Taglibue that Irvin is more deserving than him.
    The guy is a head case and should be sitting on the outside looking in and buying tickets for Canton like the rest of us.
    The difference is that Carter DID turn his life around and hasn't had an incident in at least a decade and a half. Irvin was caught with a crack pipe in his car less than 15 months ago!

Don't even compare Irvin to Carter either. Carter was an 8-time Pro Bowler (compared to Irvin's 5), Carter ranks 2nd all time in receiving TDs, 4th in receiving yards, 2nd in catches and 5th in total TDs. Irvin on the other hand doesn't even crack the top 10 in receptions and yards and isn't even in the top 35 in receiving TDs.

The guy was just NOT that good. Sure, he won 3 Super Bowls, but a great defense, a great quarterback and the NFL's all-time leading rusher had a lot to do with that.

PurplePride80 is offline Star Spokesman

"Prophet" wrote:
    "PurplePride80" wrote:
    "THEBIGDADDY" wrote:
    "MVIKING7" wrote:
    Someone enlighten me. I must be missing something. Why do all these sports writers have a hardon for Art Monk? The guy was a great receiver, his numbers are right there, and he was a class act all the way. So what's with the diss? I don't get it. Out of all the players that didn't make it, he deserves it the most.
    Maybe Monk needs to start selling crack or something to get in. What is with the mixed messages. They are so anti Drug but yet instill they let someone like Irvin into their kall of Fame? WTF?

LOL, these cheapshots at Micheal Irvin are so foolish. Sure, he had many drug problems when he played for the Dallas Cowboys, but he got his life together and recently became a Hall of Famer.

He d@mn near tanked his career in Philly because of alleged drug use and media debacles. Then he was suprisingly released the follow pre-season.

He cleaned up his act, found a new love for the game, and is beloved by nearly all Vikings fans not only for his HOF numbers, but for the fact that he made the absolute most out of a second chance and repaid the debt he owed Minnesota for the risk they took on him.
    Get real.
    Irvin should not have gone in before a lot of folks that are in the waiting line.
    The guy is a head case and should be sitting on the outside looking in and buying tickets for Canton like the rest of us.
    I never said that Irvin should have became a Hall of Famer before Tagliabue. Paul
    definatley deserves Hall of Fame status before Micheal Irvin, because he did a fantastic job of managing the NFL for so many years.

I think Andre Reed, Art Monk, and Paul Tagliabue all should have made it before Irvin. But that's not the point, because eventually, all of the people in bold font will be Hall of Famers.

The only point I'm trying to make is that Micheal Irvin deserves to be a Hall of Famer with his career stats and 3 Superbowl rings.
    In the P.J.'s, my blend tape plays, bullets are strays
    Young bitches is grazed
    Each block, is like a maze, full of black rats trapped
    Plus the Island is packed
    From what I hear in all the stories when my peoples come back, black

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Comparing the two on the Leagues ALL-TIME list should make it obvious who deserves what:

Art Monk:
    Receptions - 6th
    Receiving Yards - 11th
    TD's - 30th (tied)
    Yards from Scrimmage - 32nd

Micheal Irvin:
    Receptions - 20th (Tied)
    Receiving Yards - 14th
    TD's - 37th (Tied)
    Yards from Scrimmage - 39th

Both won 3 Superbowls...but Monk did it with 3 different QB's, none of whom are in (or ever will be in) the HOF.

Further, Monk was a class act on and off the field.
    He was never busted in a hotel room with coke and hookers, he never "held my buddy's crack pipe".

Character SHOULD be a criteria for enshrinement in the HOF.
    What is it that's keeping Pete Rose out of Baseball's?
    Character.
    But, it's a sad truth today that character has become unfashionable.
    And, most media tards wouldn't know it if it walked up and bit them.
    In fact, when faced by it, they don't know how to react (See any interview with Tony Dungy, and read the reporter's reactions...they're almost funny)

Also, you brought up Chris Carter's "Alleged" drug use.
    While he may have used early in his career, he was never CAUGHT doing so, and more importantly, he was never caught doing so while in the national spotlight.
    Irvin was busted on the eve of the Superbowl.
    Big difference between the two.

Caine

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Caine" wrote:
    Character.
    In fact, when faced by it, they don't know how to react (See any interview with Tony Dungy, and read the reporter's reactions...they're almost funny)
    NFL Hall-of-Fame voters are instructed SPECIFICALLY to ignore off-the-field issues when discussing the candidacy of any particular nominee.

What is keeping Pete Rose out of the Baseball Hall-of-Fame is that he is a member of the ineligible list, due to his own admissions of gambling on baseball.

If character is truly supposed to be one of the deciding factors then:

* OJ Simpson needs to be booted out - killed his wife

* Warren Moon needs to be booted out - smacked around his wife

* Reggie White needs to be booted out - made homophobic remarks to the

Wisconsin legislature

* Carl Eller needs to be booted out - DUI arrest and past history of drug use

* Lawrence Taylor needs to be booted out - numerous problems with drugs
    And on and on and on and on.

As to Monk, I do think he should probably be in the HoF, but it's not like Monk was the most-feared receiver in the NFL at any time in his career.
    Great numbers, sure, but he never topped 10 TDs in a season, only 5 1000-yard seasons in 16 years, only two seasons with greater than 90 catches, only 1 catch in two of his Super Bowls, etc.

And, for a large part of Monk's career, he wasn't even the #1 receiver on his own team, that would have been Gary Clark.

I understand why Monk's candidacy has hit bumps over the years.
    And he's not due for any favors in the upcoming years with Cris Carter, Jerry Rice and others on the way.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"TimmyT" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "PurplePride80" wrote:
    "THEBIGDADDY" wrote:
    "MVIKING7" wrote:

Get real.
    I never said that Irvin should have became a Hall of Famer before Tagliabue. Paul
    definatley deserves Hall of Fame status before Micheal Irvin, because he did a fantastic job of managing the NFL for so many years.

I think Andre Reed, Art Monk, and Paul Tagliabue all should have made it before Irvin. But that's not the point, because eventually, all of the people in bold font will be Hall of Famers.

The only point I'm trying to make is that Micheal Irvin deserves to be a Hall of Famer with his career stats and 3 Superbowl rings.

Michael Irvin should be in prison, not the Hall Of Fame!

He had cocaine arrests, pot and drug paraphernalia possession charges, but the reason he should be in prison is that he stabbed his teammate in the neck with a pair of scissors in 1998!

It happened in the Cowboys locker room, he should have been charged with attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon and he should have been sent to prison for 10 years!

The Cowboys being the upstanding organization they are told the other players not to say anything and threatened and bribed the player he stabbed.

They should have sent Jerry Jones to prison with him!

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

PurplePride80 is offline Star Spokesman

"whackthepack" wrote:
    "TimmyT" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "PurplePride80" wrote:
    "THEBIGDADDY" wrote:
    [quote author=MVIKING7 link=topic=31216.msg531910#msg531910 date=1170542344]

Get real.

He had cocaine arrests, pot and drug paraphernalia possession charges, but the reason he should be in prison is that he stabbed his teammate in the neck with a pair of scissors in 1998!

It happened in the Cowboys locker room, he should have been charged with attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon and he should have been sent to prison for 10 years!

The Cowboys being the upstanding organization they are told the other players not to say anything and threatened and bribed the player he stabbed.

[/quote]

LOL, whackthepack, stop hating.
    In the P.J.'s, my blend tape plays, bullets are strays
    Young bitches is grazed
    Each block, is like a maze, full of black rats trapped
    Plus the Island is packed
    From what I hear in all the stories when my peoples come back, black

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

wasn't it only 2 years ago that Irvins his arrest happened? and then the NFL is talking about drug issues can disqualify you from post season awards. So basically Ricky Williams may never get another invite to the pro-bowl but he is eligble for the HOF?

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"THEBIGDADDY" wrote:
    wasn't it only 2 years ago that Irvins his arrest happened? and then the NFL is talking about drug issues can disqualify you from post season awards. So basically Ricky Williams may never get another invite to the pro-bowl but he is eligble for the HOF?
    Inconsistencies, a wonderful part of life.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"TimmyT" wrote:
    "whackthepack" wrote:
    "TimmyT" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "PurplePride80" wrote:
    [quote author=THEBIGDADDY link=topic=31216.msg531963#msg531963 date=1170557381]
    [quote author=MVIKING7 link=topic=31216.msg531910#msg531910 date=1170542344]

Get real.

[/quote]

LOL, whackthepack, stop hating.
    [/quote]

It's not hate it a matter of him getting off because of who he was and the Dallas organization.

If he was an average Joe and had stabbed a co-worker in the neck with a pair of scissors and with his previous arrests for drugs he would have been in prison, but he is rich and the Cowboys political clout in Dallas he was never charged with a crime.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    Character.
    NFL Hall-of-Fame voters are instructed SPECIFICALLY to ignore off-the-field issues when discussing the candidacy of any particular nominee.

What is keeping Pete Rose out of the Baseball Hall-of-Fame is that he is a member of the ineligible list, due to his own admissions of gambling on baseball.

* Warren Moon needs to be booted out - smacked around his wife

Wisconsin legislature

* Carl Eller needs to be booted out - DUI arrest and past history of drug use

And on and on and on and on.

As to Monk, I do think he should probably be in the HoF, but it's not like Monk was the most-feared receiver in the NFL at any time in his career.
    Great numbers, sure, but he never topped 10 TDs in a season, only 5 1000-yard seasons in 16 years, only two seasons with greater than 90 catches, only 1 catch in two of his Super Bowls, etc.

And, for a large part of Monk's career, he wasn't even the #1 receiver on his own team, that would have been Gary Clark.

I understand why Monk's candidacy has hit bumps over the years.
    And he's not due for any favors in the upcoming years with Cris Carter, Jerry Rice and others on the way.

=Z=
    I am aware that the rules prohibit taking off field conduct into account (Although I'm sure it still happens), I'm saying that the rule needs to be changed.
    This is the Pro Football Hall of Fame!!!
    This is the epitome of all things football!!
    This is the pinnacle of an individuals career achievements!!!
    To NOT take character into account almost seems contradictory to what the Hall is.

As for Rose, I also knew why he was not in their hall...which is why I brought it up.
    Which is worse, gambling or drugs?
    But, as a player, Rose had an amazing career..moreso than Irvin did.
    See the inconsistancy?

As for this part:

- After he was inducted, and he was acquitted (Yeah, he did it, we all know that)

* Warren Moon needs to be booted out - smacked around his wife -
    Not a felony.

Wisconsin legislature -
    Not a crime.

* Carl Eller needs to be booted out - DUI arrest and past history of drug use -
    Any arrests for Drugs?

- Again, any arrests?

The problem is that Irvin was arrested and found guilty...and slid through the cracks because of who he was and who he played for (Kind of like Tank Johnson being allowed to play in the Superbowl).
    What message are we sending the people who watch football (and sports in general) - especially the kids - we're saying, "Hey, if you're a big time athlete, you can break the law and we'll forgive you, pay you big bucks, and honor you with our highest accolade".
    Is that what we want to teach our youth?

So, when you compare that to Art Monk's rather mundane stats and complete lack of off field issues, which would YOU rather hold up as representative of everything a football player should be?

No contest which way I'm going.

Caine

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast