Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1
    HEY's Avatar
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,193
    Blog Entries
    1

    2006 NFL Draft revisited - was Greenway the steal of the draft?

    This is a Sports Illustrated slideshow of all the 2006 first round picks (in order of selection):
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...ontent.17.html

    When looking at this list, I realised how lucky we were with our 17th selection. There is only two guys who were drafted before Chad Greenway that I would definitely consider drafting instead. TWO out of 17!!!
    Those two guys are Jay Cutler and Mario Williams. However, I think that Chad is more consistent than both of them.

    I think that the Vikings made one of the biggest steals in 2006. Think about it! I would have drafted Greenway with at least the 5th selection in the first round. He is a beast!

    What are your thoughts on the 2006 Draft?

  2. #2
    V4L's Avatar
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    20,612

    Re: 2006 NFL Draft revisited - was Greenway the steal of the draft?

    Im thrilled with the pick.. I wasn't when it happened.. I was content.. But I really am growing to love Greenway

    Players ahead of him worthy of drafting would have been Mario Williams, D'Brickishaw Ferguson.. Vernon Davis.. Donte Whitner.. Ernie Sims.. Jay Cutler.. Haloti Ngata..

    I think we got great value with our pick though

  3. #3
    gagarr's Avatar
    gagarr is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,411

    Re: 2006 NFL Draft revisited - was Greenway the steal of the draft?

    Given performance to date, Cutler would be my choice give he was chosen 11th, and the other QB's Young and Lienart aren't even starters.

    That said, I think Greenway is going to have a MONSTER year, given he was out his rookie, was recovering in his 2nd, and had to compensate for the loss of EJ in his third.

    If you look at the stats, Greenway was on his way to a probowl year before EJ got hurt.
    I ran the #'s earlier and if you did projections, his #'s would have put him in the top 5 of LB's.

    Thus, I expect big things this year!
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

  4. #4
    HEY's Avatar
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,193
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 2006 NFL Draft revisited - was Greenway the steal of the draft?

    "V4L" wrote:
    Players ahead of him worthy of drafting would have been Mario Williams, D'Brickishaw Ferguson.. Vernon Davis.. Donte Whitner.. Ernie Sims.. Jay Cutler.. Haloti Ngata..
    I can definitely understand Mario, Ferguson, Cutler, and Ngata, but...
    ... Vernon Davis??? He is like the tight end-version of Reggie Bush. All the skills, but it just wont translate to the pros. I would easily take Greenway over Davis.
    Also, Donte Whitner can't stay out of trouble, Greenway has not even been near trouble.
    Ernie Sims has been a tackling machine ever since he came into the league, and is one of the few bright spots of the Lions' defense, but I think I'd still take Greenway though.

    Cromartie is perhaps a guy I would have drafted before greenway. He was definitely a steal in 2006.

  5. #5
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,407

    Re: 2006 NFL Draft revisited - was Greenway the steal of the draft?

    I want a Greenway jersey... I just decided.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  6. #6
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,776
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 2006 NFL Draft revisited - was Greenway the steal of the draft?

    As much as I love the Greenway Pick, I think getting MarioWilliams was the best pick of that draft.
    Hard to call him a steal though, as he went first overall.

    Its hard to look past the College talent that Bush had, and take the talent that translates to the NFL and filled a hole that Mario had.

  7. #7
    V-Unit's Avatar
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317

    Re: 2006 NFL Draft revisited - was Greenway the steal of the draft?

    "HEY" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    Players ahead of him worthy of drafting would have been Mario Williams, D'Brickishaw Ferguson.. Vernon Davis.. Donte Whitner.. Ernie Sims.. Jay Cutler.. Haloti Ngata..
    I can definitely understand Mario, Ferguson, Cutler, and Ngata, but...
    ... Vernon Davis??? He is like the tight end-version of Reggie Bush. All the skills, but it just wont translate to the pros. I would easily take Greenway over Davis.
    Also, Donte Whitner can't stay out of trouble, Greenway has not even been near trouble.
    Ernie Sims has been a tackling machine ever since he came into the league, and is one of the few bright spots of the Lions' defense, but I think I'd still take Greenway though.

    Cromartie is perhaps a guy I would have drafted before greenway. He was definitely a steal in 2006.
    I think you're showing a bit of homerism. I love Greenway, but there are several other picks before him that would have looked good in purple, a lot more than two at least.

    1. Mario - Beast
    2. Bush - Great playmaker. Not worth the #2 pick, but certainly worth #17.
    4. Ferguson - Great pick
    5. Hawk - very solid LB. I would rather have rather have Greenway but certainly wouldn't be complaining with him in Minny
    6. Davis - Has not lived up to potential, but is capable of being a top 5 TE easily.
    8. Whitner - Off field problems. A S of his caliber is exactly what we are hoping Tyrell is.
    9. Sims - Beast
    11. Cutler - At the very least he is a solid QB.
    12. Ngata - Great DT. I would have preferred Greenway only because we're already stacked at that position.
    14. Bunkley - Slow start but the man proved his worth.

    Greenway value-wise was an excellent pick. Santonio Holmes gives him a run for his money when it comes to SOD.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet


    Thanks Josdin!

  8. #8
    ThorSPL's Avatar
    ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    3,422

    Re: 2006 NFL Draft revisited - was Greenway the steal of the draft?

    "V" wrote:
    "HEY" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    Players ahead of him worthy of drafting would have been Mario Williams, D'Brickishaw Ferguson.. Vernon Davis.. Donte Whitner.. Ernie Sims.. Jay Cutler.. Haloti Ngata..
    I can definitely understand Mario, Ferguson, Cutler, and Ngata, but...
    ... Vernon Davis??? He is like the tight end-version of Reggie Bush. All the skills, but it just wont translate to the pros. I would easily take Greenway over Davis.
    Also, Donte Whitner can't stay out of trouble, Greenway has not even been near trouble.
    Ernie Sims has been a tackling machine ever since he came into the league, and is one of the few bright spots of the Lions' defense, but I think I'd still take Greenway though.

    Cromartie is perhaps a guy I would have drafted before greenway. He was definitely a steal in 2006.
    I think you're showing a bit of homerism. I love Greenway, but there are several other picks before him that would have looked good in purple, a lot more than two at least.

    1. Mario - Beast
    2. Bush - Great playmaker. Not worth the #2 pick, but certainly worth #17.
    4. Ferguson - Great pick
    5. Hawk - very solid LB. I would rather have rather have Greenway but certainly wouldn't be complaining with him in Minny
    6. Davis - Has not lived up to potential, but is capable of being a top 5 TE easily.
    8. Whitner - Off field problems. A S of his caliber is exactly what we are hoping Tyrell is.
    9. Sims - Beast
    11. Cutler - At the very least he is a solid QB.
    12. Ngata - Great DT. I would have preferred Greenway only because we're already stacked at that position.
    14. Bunkley - Slow start but the man proved his worth.

    Greenway value-wise was an excellent pick. Santonio Holmes gives him a run for his money when it comes to SOD.
    I pretty much totally agree with your comments.
    I'd give cutler a Very Good QB rather than solid, but yeah... we agree.


    Trust me, I'm a doctor.

    www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

  9. #9
    gagarr's Avatar
    gagarr is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,411

    Re: 2006 NFL Draft revisited - was Greenway the steal of the draft?

    "C" wrote:
    I want a Greenway jersey... I just decided.
    It's the only current Viking jersey I got, but then I'm a Iowa Hawkey fan too.
    This is Chad's year!!!
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

  10. #10
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404

    Re: 2006 NFL Draft revisited - was Greenway the steal of the draft?

    Greenway has work out nice for us, I am happy.

    Here are some steals:

    Devin Hester #57
    Demeco Ryans #33

    Ah-ha

    Brandon Marshall #119 Round 4
    (Stolen)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What if we didn't draft Chad Greenway?
    By Hawkeye23 in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-25-2007, 08:14 PM
  2. Chester Taylor : The STEAL of My Fantasy Draft!
    By Tom2Bucs in forum Fantasy Football Talk
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-29-2006, 02:44 PM
  3. MOVED: Chester Taylor : The STEAL of My Fantasy Draft!
    By ultravikingfan in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-22-2006, 10:37 PM
  4. 2006 Vikings Draft: No suprises, typical Vikings draft
    By purpledogg35 in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-30-2006, 07:29 AM
  5. Brandon Marshall - STEAL of the Draft
    By FinNasty23 in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 04-24-2006, 01:08 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •