Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

2006 NFL Draft revisited - was Greenway the steal of the draft?

This is a Sports Illustrated slideshow of all the 2006 first round picks (in order of selection):
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...ontent.17.html

When looking at this list, I realised how lucky we were with our 17th selection. There is only two guys who were drafted before Chad Greenway that I would definitely consider drafting instead. TWO out of 17!!!
    Those two guys are Jay Cutler and Mario Williams. However, I think that Chad is more consistent than both of them.

I think that the Vikings made one of the biggest steals in 2006. Think about it! I would have drafted Greenway with at least the 5th selection in the first round. He is a beast!

What are your thoughts on the 2006 Draft?

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Re: 2006 NFL Draft revisited - was Greenway the steal of the draft?

Im thrilled with the pick.. I wasn't when it happened.. I was content.. But I really am growing to love Greenway

Players ahead of him worthy of drafting would have been Mario Williams, D'Brickishaw Ferguson.. Vernon Davis.. Donte Whitner.. Ernie Sims.. Jay Cutler.. Haloti Ngata..

I think we got great value with our pick though

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

Given performance to date, Cutler would be my choice give he was chosen 11th, and the other QB's Young and Lienart aren't even starters.

That said, I think Greenway is going to have a MONSTER year, given he was out his rookie, was recovering in his 2nd, and had to compensate for the loss of EJ in his third.

If you look at the stats, Greenway was on his way to a probowl year before EJ got hurt.
    I ran the #'s earlier and if you did projections, his #'s would have put him in the top 5 of LB's.

Thus, I expect big things this year!
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

"V4L" wrote:
    Players ahead of him worthy of drafting would have been Mario Williams, D'Brickishaw Ferguson.. Vernon Davis.. Donte Whitner.. Ernie Sims.. Jay Cutler.. Haloti Ngata..
    I can definitely understand Mario, Ferguson, Cutler, and Ngata, but...
    ... Vernon Davis??? He is like the tight end-version of Reggie Bush. All the skills, but it just wont translate to the pros. I would easily take Greenway over Davis.
    Also, Donte Whitner can't stay out of trouble, Greenway has not even been near trouble.
    Ernie Sims has been a tackling machine ever since he came into the league, and is one of the few bright spots of the Lions' defense, but I think I'd still take Greenway though.

Cromartie is perhaps a guy I would have drafted before greenway. He was definitely a steal in 2006.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

I want a Greenway jersey... I just decided.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

As much as I love the Greenway Pick, I think getting MarioWilliams was the best pick of that draft.
    Hard to call him a steal though, as he went first overall.

Its hard to look past the College talent that Bush had, and take the talent that translates to the NFL and filled a hole that Mario had.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"HEY" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    ... Vernon Davis??? He is like the tight end-version of Reggie Bush. All the skills, but it just wont translate to the pros. I would easily take Greenway over Davis.
    Also, Donte Whitner can't stay out of trouble, Greenway has not even been near trouble.
    Ernie Sims has been a tackling machine ever since he came into the league, and is one of the few bright spots of the Lions' defense, but I think I'd still take Greenway though.

Cromartie is perhaps a guy I would have drafted before greenway. He was definitely a steal in 2006.
    I think you're showing a bit of homerism. I love Greenway, but there are several other picks before him that would have looked good in purple, a lot more than two at least.

1. Mario - Beast
    2. Bush - Great playmaker. Not worth the #2 pick, but certainly worth #17.
    4. Ferguson - Great pick
    5. Hawk - very solid LB. I would rather have rather have Greenway but certainly wouldn't be complaining with him in Minny
    6. Davis - Has not lived up to potential, but is capable of being a top 5 TE easily.
    8. Whitner - Off field problems. A S of his caliber is exactly what we are hoping Tyrell is.
    9. Sims - Beast
    11. Cutler - At the very least he is a solid QB.
    12. Ngata - Great DT. I would have preferred Greenway only because we're already stacked at that position.
    14. Bunkley - Slow start but the man proved his worth.

Greenway value-wise was an excellent pick. Santonio Holmes gives him a run for his money when it comes to SOD.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

"V" wrote:
    "HEY" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:

I think you're showing a bit of homerism. I love Greenway, but there are several other picks before him that would have looked good in purple, a lot more than two at least.

1. Mario - Beast
    2. Bush - Great playmaker. Not worth the #2 pick, but certainly worth #17.
    4. Ferguson - Great pick
    5. Hawk - very solid LB. I would rather have rather have Greenway but certainly wouldn't be complaining with him in Minny
    6. Davis - Has not lived up to potential, but is capable of being a top 5 TE easily.
    8. Whitner - Off field problems. A S of his caliber is exactly what we are hoping Tyrell is.
    9. Sims - Beast
    11. Cutler - At the very least he is a solid QB.
    12. Ngata - Great DT. I would have preferred Greenway only because we're already stacked at that position.
    14. Bunkley - Slow start but the man proved his worth.

Greenway value-wise was an excellent pick. Santonio Holmes gives him a run for his money when it comes to SOD.
    I pretty much totally agree with your comments.
    I'd give cutler a Very Good QB rather than solid, but yeah... we agree.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

"C" wrote:
    I want a Greenway jersey... I just decided.
    It's the only current Viking jersey I got, but then I'm a Iowa Hawkey fan too.
    This is Chad's year!!!
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Greenway has work out nice for us, I am happy.

Here are some steals:

Devin Hester #57
    Demeco Ryans #33

Ah-ha

Brandon Marshall #119 Round 4
    (Stolen)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast