Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: '12th Man' phrase

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Warp" wrote:
    I guess you guys can also think of it like this. What if the Ravens started using the phrase "Purple People Eaters". I think most of us vikes fans would be pretty mad. Not saying i agree with what A&M is doing but just putting it in prospective.
    Hmmm. Nice way to put it into perspective. Although it isn't quite the same. The Ravens are in the same league as the Vikings. It would be more appropriate to ask what we would think if the Furman Purple Paladins (Div I-AA school) started using the phrase purple people eaters. Personally it wouldn't bother me much.
    Both arguments are good!

But I am inclined on siding with nodakpaul on this one.

The announcers have used this term for a long time. I suppose the real problem lies in the fact that Sea was marketing this in logo form. The other thing is that it was a very similar logo/typeset between the 2 logos.

It seems ticky-tack to me.

I guess I would call it "home field advantage." Let's patent it boys.

divine_roos is offline Waterboy

"westvirginiavikings" wrote:
    This is just as stupid as not letting colleges use Indian Nicknames. Everybody is just getting too sue happy.
    thats a legitemate concern though. not saying people need to sue, but think of it this way... What if there was a team called the "Blackskins" in the NFL? Do you think that would fly?

I just think that using someones race or ethnicity for a team name or mascot is more of an ethical issue - not at all like this "12th man" thing.

Warp is offline Asst. Coach

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Warp" wrote:
    I guess you guys can also think of it like this. What if the Ravens started using the phrase "Purple People Eaters". I think most of us vikes fans would be pretty mad. Not saying i agree with what A&M is doing but just putting it in prospective.
    Hmmm. Nice way to put it into perspective. Although it isn't quite the same. The Ravens are in the same league as the Vikings. It would be more appropriate to ask what we would think if the Furman Purple Paladins (Div I-AA school) started using the phrase purple people eaters. Personally it wouldn't bother me much.
    I see what you are saying and i agree if someone like the Paladins used it, it wouldnt bother me that much. But also Texas A&M is a bigtime College football program and they are known Country wide. Im not saying that the Seahawks shouldnt be able to use the name either im just saying if i was a A&M fan and some other team in any major sport starting using a phrase that my team made famous and has used for so long id be a little mad too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12