Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

'12th Man' phrase

How can they own the right to the 12th man?

Crazy Aggies!

[size=18px]Seahawks reach deal on '12th Man' phrase[/size] Click here to find out more!
    NFL.com wire reports

COLLEGE STATION, Texas (May 8, 2006) -- The fight over the "12th Man" is over and both Texas A&M and the Seattle Seahawks will be able to use the phrase.

Texas A&M and the Seahawks said they had reached a deal settling the university's lawsuit over the nickname for their fans.

As part of the agreement, the Seahawks acknowledge Texas A&M's ownership rights of the trademarked phrase. However, the NFL team may continue using it under license. Neither side admitted any fault or liability.

The Aggies hold a federal trademark rights to "12th Man." They wanted to halt Seattle from using "12th Man" earlier this year.

In February, the university filed a lawsuit in Brazos County over the Seahawks use of the trademark. Days before Seattle faced the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Super Bowl, a restraining order was issued calling on the Seahawks to halt any usage of "12th Man," or "12th Mania."

Origins of the term "12th man" aren't exactly clear, but the traditions in Seattle and College Station date back decades.

The Aggies trace their use to 1922, when an injury-plagued roster led the team to pull E. King Gill from the stands and suited him up to play. Gill never took to the field, but the legend strengthened campus-wide commitment to support the team. The words "Home of 12th Man" adorn the stadium and the entire school is considered the 12th Man.

The Seahawks retired the number 12 in 1984 to honor fans who made the old Kingdome one of the noisiest stadiums in football. It hangs alongside Hall of Fame receiver Steve Largent's No. 80.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: '12th Man' phrase

It seems universal to me even if they can trace it back to 1922.

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

You can seemingly patent anything you say now.

It's ridiculous.

Donald Trump with "You're Fired" (I wonder if that's why the show "Fire Me, Please", which was pretty funny, didn't last too long, because the bosses had to say "You're Fired")

I've heard fans from every team referred to as 12th man, or the 12th man factor. Pretty soon, someone going is going to copyright/trademark/patent the word "Hi"
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

MightyVikes12391 is offline Pro-Bowler

wow this is pretty goofy

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Give me a break... What's next? Is someone going to trademark the phrase "tailgating"? Talk about over-lawyering something... (no offense to the notable laywers on this forum :grin
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Warp is offline Asst. Coach

I guess you guys can also think of it like this. What if the Ravens started using the phrase "Purple People Eaters". I think most of us vikes fans would be pretty mad. Not saying i agree with what A&M is doing but just putting it in prospective.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Warp" wrote:
    I guess you guys can also think of it like this. What if the Ravens started using the phrase "Purple People Eaters". I think most of us vikes fans would be pretty mad. Not saying i agree with what A&M is doing but just putting it in prospective.
    Hmmm. Nice way to put it into perspective. Although it isn't quite the same. The Ravens are in the same league as the Vikings. It would be more appropriate to ask what we would think if the Furman Purple Paladins (Div I-AA school) started using the phrase purple people eaters. Personally it wouldn't bother me much.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

This is just as stupid as not letting colleges use Indian Nicknames. Everybody is just getting too sue happy.

Dwags is offline Training Camp

To be fair, the Aggies also had a tradition until a decade or so ago (or so I'm told, living only an hour and a half from Aggie land), of having non-football players, just other students at the college, man their kick-off squad. Supposedly this went on for a number of years until a new coach came in and axed this after they gave up a touchdown.

Based on this, and the history the article mentions, the background of the 12th man is a little more developed at A&M than Seattle, where it's just a bunch of caffienated tree-huggers yelling a lot.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"westvirginiavikings" wrote:
    This is just as stupid as not letting colleges use Indian Nicknames. Everybody is just getting too sue happy.
    You say this like it's a BAD thing! :lol: Not bad for me!!! :evil4:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast