[size=12pt]10 Truths: A side effect of Everett's injury[/size]
Jason Whitlock
FOXSports.com
13 Sept. 2007

...10. Buffalo tight end Kevin Everett's neck injury is the reason there will never be wide-spread criticism among football players concerning performance-enhancing drugs

Don't misunderstand. Steroids and HGH do not help prevent devastating injuries. In fact, you could argue that performance-enhancing drugs have only made football collisions more violent because the players are bigger and faster.

But Everett's injury justifies in the mind of many players that they have a right to do and ingest anything that will help them compete, survive and earn money in a sport that has brutal consequences.

In a player's mind, it is easy for members of the media and fans to complain about steroids and the amount of money pro athletes make. The media and fans do not take the risk that players do.

I don't condone steroid use. I never used the drugs in high school or college. Wendy's was my drug of choice. But I've always understood and sympathized with the mindset of a user. An athlete desperately wants to compete at the highest level. In this era, there are enormous financial incentives for participating in a physically dangerous game. It's the perfect recipe for illegal drug use.

We're never going to shame athletes into avoiding steroids. And I doubt we'll ever drug-test them into avoiding performance-enhancing drugs. Most athletes are too young and too desperate for financial security to listen to sound reasoning about performance-enhancing drugs.

This is a problem with no solution.

1. How many years does Baltimore's offense have to stink before people realize Brian Billick is not an offensive "guru?"
And when do people recognize he might be the worst head coach to win a Super Bowl?

The other candidates? Jon Gruden and Barry Switzer.