Thread: 10 Truths

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

10 Truths

[size=12pt]10 Truths: Pacman, the draft, and Ocho Cinco[/size]
    by Jason Whitlock
    Updated: April 24, 2008, 11:39 AM EST

...8. The Vikings did not get ripped off in their Jared Allen trade with the Chiefs. Allen joining the Williams Wall could signal the return of the Purple People Eaters.

The early reviews suggest the Vikings surrendered too much — a first, two third-round picks and a $74 million contract — in exchange for Allen. I say the compensation is fair.

Allen established himself as the best defensive end in football while playing with a collection of average defensive linemen in Kansas City. He's never played alongside a dominant or even good defensive tackle. In Pro Bowlers Pat and Kevin Williams, Allen will be paired with the best DT combo in the league. Allen might collect a few garbage sacks just from having a strong push up the middle.

Allen also played on K.C. teams with weak corners — meaning he rarely got "coverage sacks."

Allen recorded 15.5 sacks in 2007 despite being suspended for the first two games. Going to Minnesota, I'm sure Allen's goal will be 20 sacks this season. He might get it. If he does, no one will think the Vikings paid too much to get him...
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: 10 Truths

had we packaged our two 3rds and 1st, that would have moved us up to the top 10 in the draft according to Speilman.
    So basically, our trade was like trading up to the top 10 to draft Allen.
    hardly a ripoff

P.P.E. is offline Training Camp

I don't think that Allen will get 20 sacks but I do believe that his presence will get more overall sacks by everybody else and also more interceptions.
    Not to mention that Allen will get somewhere in the 10-15 range.
    I also noticed in alot of the footage that NFL network and ESPN show that Allen likes to go for the ball on the sack.
    I see more fumbles too.

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

I agree. I think that in combination with Kevin Williams, Allen is going to be devastating. I mean, what are you going to do, double-team both Williams AND Allen, when they are next to each other ? Teams are going to be so busy with double-teams on Pat and Kevin that I think Allen is going to go nuts this season and have a massive year. (or, they will double Allen and Kevin will go nuts). Either way, it is going to be fun for us...

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

can any oline right now block what we can bring? remember we blitz the linebackers too.

and i don't like #1 on that list. they are the reasons not to watch. selfish.
    We're bringing purple back.

vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach

Who are they going to double-team? Jared Allen or Kevin Williams?

OK, they double-team both of them. How many guys are then free to make the play? That could work out nicely.

Everything comes down to execution.

Go Vikings!