Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

10-pack: Moss is back, but Crennel might not be

[size=12pt]10-pack: Moss is back, but Crennel might not be
    [/size]

By Mike Florio, Sporting News
    Posted September 9, 2007

Interesting, looks like Florio has been added to the sportingnews payroll.
    Funny that the same folks that were ripping on his website during its inception years ago now have him added to the payroll.

...2. Vikings should ditch two-back approach

Vikings coaches opened the season intending to split touches between starter Chester Taylor and backup Adrian Peterson. It's time to dump those plans. It's trendy in the NFL to have two capable tailbacks. After all, the Colts and Bears each rode that approach to Super Bowl 41.

Still, there is something to be said for having a workhorse who can stay on the field, run with speed and power and make huge contributions in the passing game. The Vikings have that in Peterson, who was thrust into the spotlight when Taylor sustained an early hip injury Sunday. Peterson hit the ground soaring -- rushing for 103 yards and providing the game-clinching moment by juggling a screen pass and then racing untouched for a 60-yard touchdown.

The smart move for Vikings coach Brad Childress would be to declare Peterson the starter and relegate Taylor to spot duty...
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Re: 10-pack: Moss is back, but Crennel might not be

"Prophet" wrote:
    [size=12pt]10-pack: Moss is back, but Crennel might not be
    [/size]

By Mike Florio, Sporting News
    Posted September 9, 2007

Interesting, looks like Florio has been added to the sportingnews payroll.
    Funny that the same folks that were ripping on his website during its inception years ago now have him added to the payroll.

...2. Vikings should ditch two-back approach

Vikings coaches opened the season intending to split touches between starter Chester Taylor and backup Adrian Peterson. It's time to dump those plans. It's trendy in the NFL to have two capable tailbacks. After all, the Colts and Bears each rode that approach to Super Bowl 41.

Still, there is something to be said for having a workhorse who can stay on the field, run with speed and power and make huge contributions in the passing game. The Vikings have that in Peterson, who was thrust into the spotlight when Taylor sustained an early hip injury Sunday. Peterson hit the ground soaring -- rushing for 103 yards and providing the game-clinching moment by juggling a screen pass and then racing untouched for a 60-yard touchdown.

The smart move for Vikings coach Brad Childress would be to declare Peterson the starter and relegate Taylor to spot duty...
    Does anyone actually agree with that. It's not like Taylor is a slouch back himself. Call me crazy but I think our run game would have been even more efffective had Taylor not been injured. If this does happen, Moore and Tahi should never see the field.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

davike is offline Team Alumni

Wow :...apparently this guy didn't see what Taylor did when he was in.....18 yards on 3 carries with 1 reception for 3 yards (and if I remember right that was for a first down). Like V said...we could have been even better with Taylor in there.

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

I think the biggest thing is that the more times at bat the Home Run hitter appears, the better his chances to hit a home run.
    I think that he is saying we should bring AP to the plate every time we are at bat.

CT is good.
    Peterson is better.

The thing that he didn't mention and I hate to mention it, is AP durable?
    He had a difficult time staying healthy in college where they play less games.

So, do you split carries or let AP take them all?

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

This isn't baseball. This is football. Fresh legs are a factor in sacks, ints, long pass tds, big plays in general. If you consider that there are 15 games left, splitting carries is obviously the right call. Remember this time last year when Taylor was averaging 30 carries and we were pumped about out horse? Then he simply wore down.

Peterson may be better, but Taylor is so good that our offense doesn't miss a beat when he's in. That is important for a good platoon system.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

I agree with splitting the carries, Taylor is a decent back that will keep the chains moving and help these guys both stick around throughout the season.
    However, moving AD up to the primary back may make sense sooner rather than later.

I'm a huge AD fan, but Taylor deserves his carries.
    He does not put us at a disadvantage and running hungry to stay in the lineup should make both of these guys more effective.

Just hope injuries don't hit either one significantly.
    The passing game has a long ways to go and there will be plenty of carries to share between two backs.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

I wouldn't mind seeing more of both RBs on the field at the same time.
    Peterson proved that he can take a screen to the house, so even if he is not running the ball, he would be an option for the pass.

carta4eva is offline Asst. Coach Space Invaders Champion

Florio is an idiot who talks out of his ass most of the time... why would you wear out on rb, when you have two that could stay fresh troughout the entire season and into the postseason, the way I see it in games where Chester is in there, we pound his quarters 1-3 with AD getting 12-15 carries during that time, and in the fourth quarter let AD loose against those worn out defense and we'll see AD do what he did yesterday more in the 4th quarter of games
    A wise man once said," Defense Wins Championships!"