Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Re: The 10 Most Passionate Fan Bases in the NFL

"Big" wrote:
    I have to disagree with the Giants comment....Giants fans are great when the team is winning but get up and leave when the team is behind.
    I was there for Eli's 5(?) interception game against the Vikes and 5 minutes into the second half 85% of the Giants fans had left.
    I still believe season ticket sales, has alot to do with a teams solid fan base following.....And again, I bet the NY Giants are a top 5 team, when it comes to the waiting list length of time to purchess season tickets....last I heard, somewhere around 7 or 8 years average wait.....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

"NordicNed" wrote:
    "Big" wrote:
    I have to disagree with the Giants comment....Giants fans are great when the team is winning but get up and leave when the team is behind.
    I was there for Eli's 5(?) interception game against the Vikes and 5 minutes into the second half 85% of the Giants fans had left.
    I still believe season ticket sales, has alot to do with a teams solid fan base following.....And again, I bet the NY Giants are a top 5 team, when it comes to the waiting list length of time to purchess season tickets....last I heard, somewhere around 7 or 8 years average wait.....
    Not any more... Giants are using the PSLs to drive that number way down.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    I do not agree with that list.

For one, I do realize that the Browns have a tremendous following around the country.
    However, when they realize their season is a turd they do not fill all the seats.
    I know because that's when I get 2 tickets for $10 on ebay and watch them play.

I would put the Steelers ahead of them by a mile.
    They have one of the most devoted group of fans that travel the country to all their away games.

I am surprised Chicago is not in there and fuck Dallas.
    Where we all the fans in the 80's?
    Pussies.
    I agree with most of that, but large followings do not equate to passion. So I wouldn't rank the Steelers all that high. They have a TON of fans, mostly due to their success in the 70s and recent triumphs. I know probaly 20-30 Pittsburgh Steeler fans in Westfield, NJ. Half of which have never set foot in Pittsburgh, maybe 2-3 of which are from the region(not that I've set foot in Minnesota, but none of them would ever doubt my passion.) None of them display the passion for the team that I see from other fans. They're quick to point out if their team won, but 90% of them can't tell you what happened during the game. My brother fortunately is not one of them, I won't allow it. If he wants to tell me why the Steelers won, or brag to me, he damn well better back it up.

The only reason the author put the Eagles as 2 instead of one is because he knew he'd get ripped apart in the comments had he not. He wants to keep his rating high.

If we're talking passion I'd go:
    1) Bills - The author states the reasons well. I don't see how they're not higher on his list. They seem to be a knowledgeable fan base as well.
    2) Chiefs - When is arrowhead stadium not painted totally red?
    3) Giants - Passion, definitely. Knowledge, not so much.
    4) Raiders - The black hole, lots of tradition. The fans get really into it, but they're definitely on the decline.
    5) Packers - There's no doubting the Packers fans are great. As much as I hate them, and as stupid as they are. They're fans will stick with them til the end.
    6) Bears - You can't rate the Pack 5 without the Bears at 4 or 6. Rivalries.
    7) Steelers - See above.
    8 ) Eagles - Passion? More like anger and stupidity.
    9) Vikings - We would have been higher, but after how long it took to sell out the playoff game. The lack of noise late in the season. Booing our own team so frequently... we've got work to do.
    10) New Orleans Saints - The huge resurgence after Katrina really impressed me. In such an economically fucked area just after a disaster, to come out like that really says something.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Coming into this year I would have been suprised not to see the Vikings Fans on this list......

Now,,,....Not so much.......Been a eye opener for me to say the least.....:'( :'(
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Coming into this year I would have been suprised not to see the Vikings Fans on this list......

Now,,,....Not so much.......Been a eye opener for me to say the least.....:'( :'(
    Really?

IMO the fan base has been through quite a bit and I don't doubt a bit they are down on the list. I don't know of any franchise that has been through more ownership changes and such as the Vikings have. That lack of continuity and the lack of success that has followed along with it have had a big impact on the fan base.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"Mr" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:

For one, I do realize that the Browns have a tremendous following around the country.
    However, when they realize their season is a turd they do not fill all the seats.

They have one of the most devoted group of fans that travel the country to all their away games.

Pussies.
    I agree with most of that, but large followings do not equate to passion. So I wouldn't rank the Steelers all that high. They have a TON of fans, mostly due to their success in the 70s and recent triumphs. I know probaly 20-30 Pittsburgh Steeler fans in Westfield, NJ. Half of which have never set foot in Pittsburgh, maybe 2-3 of which are from the region(not that I've set foot in Minnesota, but none of them would ever doubt my passion.) None of them display the passion for the team that I see from other fans. They're quick to point out if their team won, but 90% of them can't tell you what happened during the game. My brother fortunately is not one of them, I won't allow it. If he wants to tell me why the Steelers won, or brag to me, he damn well better back it up.

The only reason the author put the Eagles as 2 instead of one is because he knew he'd get ripped apart in the comments had he not. He wants to keep his rating high.

1) Bills - The author states the reasons well. I don't see how they're not higher on his list. They seem to be a knowledgeable fan base as well.
    4) Raiders - The black hole, lots of tradition. The fans get really into it, but they're definitely on the decline.
    5) Packers - There's no doubting the Packers fans are great. As much as I hate them, and as stupid as they are. They're fans will stick with them til the end.
    7) Steelers - See above.
    9) Vikings - We would have been higher, but after how long it took to sell out the playoff game. The lack of noise late in the season. Booing our own team so frequently... we've got work to do.
    10) New Orleans Saints - The huge resurgence after Katrina really impressed me. In such an economically fucked area just after a disaster, to come out like that really says something.
    [img width=450 height=543]http://students.cs.byu.edu/~bsalmon/Virtual%20Zoo/homer.bmp[/img]

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Was there ever a point in time when the Vikings could be considered in the top 10?
    I say no.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:

Pussies.

7) Steelers - See above.
    [img width=450 height=543]http://students.cs.byu.edu/~bsalmon/Virtual%20Zoo/homer.bmp[/img]
    Maybe.

You're probably right, but I feel like we're all too cynical and annoying to not be considered passionate.

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:

Pussies.

7) Steelers - See above.

I don't agree with his top 3 choices. As bad as the Raiders have been lately, I always have them at #1. I would put the Steelers fans at #2.

I'd drop the Packers, Eagles and Browns a few notches, and kick the Cowboys out of the list...their fans are not passionate at all.

Giants fans can definitely be described as passionate.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Really?

IMO the fan base has been through quite a bit and I don't doubt a bit they are down on the list. I don't know of any franchise that has been through more ownership changes and such as the Vikings have. That lack of continuity and the lack of success that has followed along with it have had a big impact on the fan base.
    And that my friend, is the eye opening part.
    I really believed we had one of those rabid fan bases that would stick with the team regardless......

Much to my suprise that is not the case.

Some say it is because they are tired of losing......That one leaves me scratching my head.
    Must be just the 98'rs that are thinking that way cause we have been through a hell of alot worser than a 3 year stint were the coach didn't get us to the SB instantly....

And the Boo'ing. I never thought I would see the day that our team was boo'd on the field, especially when it had the lead in a game.... :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast