shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

#1 Fantasy Quarterback

Hello, all you out there in Purple Country! I just wanted to make a comment and hear some opinions on this subject:

Who is going to be the #1 fantasy football quarterback in 2004, and why?

Here's one fan's opinion; take it for what it's worth...

No question: Daunte Culpepper, and here's why: The guy has had plenty of time to mature, and there's no more fierce competitor on the field, INCLUDING BRETT FAVRE. This is the year he fully becomes the quarterback he can be. He can run (over, around, though), throw the ball, and he's finally going to make enough right decisions to take the Vikes a LOOONNNNNNGGGGGGGG way in the playoffs. He's a team leader, and he's going to take control and, by force of sheer will, take our boys to the promised land!!

Let's hear some opinions, purple people!

Thanks!
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

#1 Fantasy Quarterback

Almost every fantasy report I have read has Daunte as the top QB. Vick and Peyton Manning rank up there too, with McNabb and McNair not far behind. I know he'll be at the top of my draft lists for QBs.

But I also want him to be the best QB in real football this year.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

#1 Fantasy Quarterback

"sdvikefan" wrote:
    Almost every fantasy report I have read has Daunte as the top QB. Vick and Peyton Manning rank up there too, with McNabb and McNair not far behind. I know he'll be at the top of my draft lists for QBs.

But I also want him to be the best QB in real football this year.

Every year, the running QB's are on top of the list of fantasy QB's. The problem with them, is that they get hurt too often. Yes, they will average the most fantasy points per game for QB's, but they won't play near enough to score the most points. I think manning is the safest choice as #1 fantasy QB. He will play in every game and throw a ton of TD's. Daunte, if he does stay healthy all year, will probably be the #1 or #2 fantasy QB, but who knows if he will be able to run and stay healthy. Same can be said for vick. I would take a good RB, while guys are taking daunte and vick, and then try and get manning.

enlvikeman is offline Hall of Famer

#1 Fantasy Quarterback

Cullpepper hands down...Hassleback would be my second pick, for some reason I think he's gonna do well this season

"24 mil under the cap? there are teams 30 mil over the cap, heck that gives us at least 50 mil to spend"

CollegeGuyJeff circa 2006

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

#1 Fantasy Quarterback

I would take Manning as my number one QB, but I would draft a running back first overall. The reason I would take Manning is basically the same as what muchluv had to say. Manning will play all 16 games, and he will also be the one to break Favre's consecutive starts streak!! You heard it here first!! Let the bashing begin!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

#1 Fantasy Quarterback

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    I would take Manning as my number one QB, but I would draft a running back first overall. The reason I would take Manning is basically the same as what muchluv had to say. Manning will play all 16 games, and he will also be the one to break Favre's consecutive starts streak!! You heard it here first!! Let the bashing begin!

Wow, very bold man! I don't see it though. Manning doesn't have the mobility that favre has had his career. If manning has a year with a bad O-line, he will get hurt and miss some time. Nice bold prediction though. My bold one is that dontarrious thomas will be d rookie of the year this year.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

#1 Fantasy Quarterback

Yeah, but if you look at Manning's rookie year, he had a terrible line (and team for that matter) and he somehow survived. I don't know, I guess we'll see. But it would be nice to see someone break Favre's record!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

#1 Fantasy Quarterback

Running yardage doesn't factor into my decision at all when it comes to QB because in my league you only get 1 point for every 20 yds a QB runs, but you get points for passing yardage and completions as well as TDs of course. Also you lose points for picks so that factors in a lot more than rushing yardage too.

Michael Vick won't be running has much this year anyway, his passing game has developed, he has better receivers, and he will want to avoid injury. So I don't expect him to repeat the rushing success he had in 2002.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

#1 Fantasy Quarterback

"sdvikefan" wrote:
    Running yardage doesn't factor into my decision at all when it comes to QB because in my league you only get 1 point for every 20 yds a QB runs, but you get points for passing yardage and completions as well as TDs of course. Also you lose points for picks so that factors in a lot more than rushing yardage too.

Michael Vick won't be running has much this year anyway, his passing game has developed, he has better receivers, and he will want to avoid injury. So I don't expect him to repeat the rushing success he had in 2002.

Vick being my favorite player in the NFL, I would love to see him stay healthy and not take all the big hits. At the same time I see no possible way that he doesn't run more than any other QB in the league. It is just instinct for him to run the ball, when the pocket collapses. It is just too dangerous of a weapon, for him not to use it. I hope he runs just as much, but learns how to slide and run out of bounds. Remember when he came back from his inury last season and everyone said he would be afraid to run? He ran all over a great D, in carolina. I just don't see him being a pocket QB. He is so good at passing on the run, outiside the pocket. He is also good at not forcing the ball when outside of the pocket and pulling the ball down to run it. Yes, he does have a much better group of weapons on offense, and will probably not have so many designed running plays for him, but i would bet anything that when instincts kick in, he will be running a lot again this year.

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

#1 Fantasy Quarterback

IMO, there is no reason to suspect that Manning will not/cannot be as productive this season as the last two. He should be at the top of everyone's list.

I'd put Culpepper just behind him. I think, to some degree, the Vikings are trying to deemphasize Culpepper running the ball (what with the propensity to fumble, the injuries, all the other offensive weapons, etc.) He'll get his share passing and running, but I'm not expecting him to run for 8 TDs.

I'd put Brett Favre a close third. His receivers are young and improving, and teams will try to key on Green to force the old man and his thumb to beat them. Much like facing the Vikings offense, defenses will find themselves damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Tom Brady has to be up there. You think the guy hasn't done much, but if you look at his fantasy numbers the last few years he is as consistent as anyone.

I don't put Vick in the upper echelon yet. I think the coaches will try to rein him in just a bit to keep him healthy. He has great potential as a passer, but hasn't produced yet.

I think Bulger and Hasselbeck have the potential to put up great fantasy numbers this year as well. A real longshot might be Carson Palmer of the Bengals. He's got some pretty darned talented receivers to work with, and has a lot more natural ability than Jon Kitna.
    SKOL VIKINGS!